566 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
radykal says

Is it allowed to put a copy of a wp plugin from CC of another author in TF item, like a wp theme, when the TF author purchase an extended licence of it. So the users that are going to purchase the theme will also get the plugin.

362 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
codenegar says

Before buying an extended licence you should ask plugin author’s permission.

566 posts
+6 more
radykal says

If he doesnt, because I find a wp theme with my plugin included. Its okay if there would be another expensiver licence, because the price for an extended licence is far too less for cc items, when it allows author to put into a wp theme, which is sold also on envato.

362 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
codenegar says
5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

As of last January when the licenses were updated, you now need the original author’s permission before you can use any marketplace item in another stock item. So if you think the extended license price is too low, you can always tell the author making the request that they need to buy three extended licenses instead of one.

I too discovered someone has been selling one of my plugin’s without my permission (on the same exact marketplace of all places). The author has been selling my product for almost 2 months before I finally discovered the situation, and the best part is, the offending item costs 50% less than mine lol! Anyhow, I never used to offer extended licenses for this exact reason. Only reason I started offering them is because of the new rules.

3047 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

imho http://codecanyon.net/licenses/faq#can-i-allow-another-author-to-use-my-item-within needs to be updated with something a little clearer, along the lines of you cannot use an item inside a larger item without first receiving the original authors permission

5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

imho http://codecanyon.net/licenses/faq#can-i-allow-another-author-to-use-my-item-within needs to be updated with something a little clearer, along the lines of you cannot use an item inside a larger item without first receiving the original authors permission

+1

I have no doubt that the author who used my item without my permission was misunderstood at first. And because of this, I wrote the author personally as a courtesy and included links to the new rules. But the author wasn’t satisfied with the license verbiage and I ended up needing to get support involved unfortunately.

This part might be able to be improved as well:

To keep things simple, the first author can permit the second author to do this under the terms of the extended license.

It’s unclear if the extended license automatically applies once permission is granted, of if it’s just a suggested guideline for the handshake agreement.

Maybe something like:

Once the first author has written permission from the second author, the first author can then purchase an extended license of the product and use it in another stock item as per the extended license guidelines.
566 posts
+6 more
radykal says

So I can tell the other author to purchase a random amount of extended licences where I think its fair for me that he can sell my plugin in his wp theme?

If the author does not accept that, can I tell envato that he should contact the author and tell him to remove my plugin from his source files?

7384 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

don’t know about how many extended licenses can or should that author purchase but if he purchased an extended license for that plugin maybe he didn’t knew he needs your permission also.

try speaking with him privately and maybe you can settle this in a friendly way.

problem with contacting support is that the entire item should be removed because the item was breaking marketplace rules. Else, for example, I can bundle a bunch of items in a theme and sell it till the one of the authors finds out, then I can just remove the plugin saying I didn’t knew the rules.

8248 posts Community Moderator
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

depends when he added it also since the license change will only apply to files uploaded since the change was made right?

by
by
by
by
by
by