186 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
ThemeBuddies says

If I were to buy a psd that I thought looked nice and then code that design just for the fun of it. Could I then put that site up for sale on my own personal website? People do buy psd designs here on a daily basis and code them for clients. I would just be doing it before I had a client. Is this wrong?

What about the free file of the month? I had the same thought there. I have not yet done this but what if I did download it, put it for sale on my site? Not to sell the authors work, but to sell the completed up and running website.

I know I can’t sell another’s work. I would be selling the package of installing their new site using that design. Does that make sense? I figure this is what this marketplace is here for in the first place. Sometimes I see a psd that looks like it would be fun to code so I buy it and then code it. I don’t then want to just throw the files away. I would like to use them. My thought was to put the files for display on my website and say for 400.00 bucks, you can have this fully functional site. Maybe a link back to the designer here on themeforest that made the psd. Does that make sense?

1797 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

No, that is not allowed.

767 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
outandouter says

See point 8 here.

3862 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

EDIT: outandouter said it

186 posts
+1 more
ThemeBuddies says
I don’t think that applies. I do not mean extended license. What I mean is more like this
1. I find a PSD that I like
2. I buy it.
3. I code it into a fully functioning website.
4. I put the fully functioning site with demo content on my website to display for sale.
5. Someone browsing looking for a developer for their new site spots said website for sale on my site
6. They buy it for say, $400.00. This may include setting up the domain name, purchasing server space and getting the site up and running online.
7. I take down the display on my site as I only had one license. 
8. I decided it worked out well, come back to themeforest and buy another license or extended one.
I don’t see how this is any different than what everyone here is already doing. The only difference is that I don’t yet have the client for the site. If I did, I would do all the steps above accept for 4,5,7 and 8

Everyone here is already reselling the designs. The only difference is whether or not they are passing them off as their own and charging thousands of dollars for it. I just want to put the PSD that I bought and coded online to see if I can get a customer to buy it. They way I see it, authors would get more money from me because I would continue to buy designs to code and try to sell.

186 posts
+1 more
ThemeBuddies says

I found this in the FAQ’s that outandouter pointed to. To me, this says, “YES” I can do what I was thinking ( under advanced in the FAQ’s http://themeforest.net/licenses/faq )

Is my license transferable?

Generally, your license is not transferable. The exception is if you are a freelancer using the item for an end product for one client, or if you sell the single instance of an end product, such as a website installation. In those cases, point the client or buyer to the license terms and delete the item from your computer.

Example: You use a theme to create your website. Later, you sell that website to someone else. You are allowed to do this, but you then must delete the theme from your systems.

767 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
outandouter says

Aah. Now, I see.

But I still think that it can’t / won’t be allowed. Here’s why.

(These are just my logical deductions from how the licensing generally works here at Envato)

- You’re essentially marketing your web development services on the basis of someone else’s design(which can be exclusive to Envato marketplaces) on your domain regardless of whether or not you mention the original designer’s reference.

- You’re purchasing the license on the behalf of a yet-to-be-discovered person.

(Just to make sure that the above points don’t sound rude; “you” refers to a third person, not you specifically. :) )

An Envato person can debunk or testify and add to these points.

+8 more
FinalDestiny says

You’re not allowed to do this. Otherwise we all could create our own website and list all the Themeforest themes and templates and charge 2x for them and whenever we get a client, we purchase the license from here and give them the files. This is obviously not right and shouldn’t happen.

186 posts
+1 more
ThemeBuddies says

but it does happen every day of the week. Every time you buy a theme or template or your customers do and use it for a client, this is exactly what they are doing. What I am saying is that I would buy the theme psd FIRST and then put it up for sale to a client. I think if you think about it more, you will see that everyone here already does this. I just thought about doing it in reverse order for one step. I don’t yet have the client. That is the only difference and I don’t know that anyone would every buy it. I may spend the time and money for nothing.

+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Yes, I understand that, but you can’t just offer the whole ThemeForest package as your portfolio only based on “I don’t have a customer yet, but will find one and will credit the original author after that”. You have a client, choose one theme and do your work based on it, don’t put the whole ThemeForest on your website and wait for clients there.

It’s NOT allowed to add our items in your ‘portfolio’.

by
by
by
by
by
by