37 posts
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Osetin says

Of course. You can’t sell it this week here, next week somewhere else and the next one on ThemeForest as well. Once you break the exclusivity of that item, you can’t sell it here anymore.

I don’t understand how is that a problem? Exclusive means selling at a single directory at a time. There is no such thing as breaking an exclusivity. According to your logic – if I had an awesome theme in another directory – and then remove it from there and post it to themeforest – does it mean that its not exclusive to themeforest anymore? No. It is exclusive to themeforest because it’s being selling only at Themeforest at this exact moment.

37 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Osetin says

Just want to let you know that I’ve submitted a soft-reject request for my template, but they requested a valid reason, my reason is that I wanted to sell that theme somewhere else and dont want it to be listed on Themeforest for now, so they replied to me saying that it is not a valid reason and the only way I can remove my theme is to delete it completely, but once I do that – it can’t be reactivated.
Did the reviewer also said that its a funny reason, because it actually is. :bigevilgrin:

What is funny about it? I want to earn money and want to try out other directories – I did not sell my soul to themeforest, I want to try selling one of my templates on another website and see if there is a difference…It’s a free country after all, is not it? :)

3445 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

What is funny about it? I want to earn money and want to try out other directories – I did not sell my soul to themeforest, I want to try selling one of my templates on another website and see if there is a difference…It’s a free country after all, is not it? :)

When you opted for exclusivity you “sold your soul” :D

Of course, i’m just kidding, it’s not like that, but you did agree with the exclusivity terms which obligates you to sell your item only on the Envato marketplaces and nowhere else. If you delete the item from the marketplaces you are not allowed to submit it again. You also agreed for this.

So it’s a free country, yes, but you limited this freedom yourself when you agreed with some terms which you might want to read better in the future :)

1724 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
FinalDestiny says

Exclusivity means you will sell the item only on ThemeForest. When you put it somewhere else, you break the exclusivity rule and can’t sell it on ThemeForest anymore

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Hi Ostein,

Apologies for the confusion. I’m ensuring the staff are aware of this right now and have set your item to a soft-disabled state.

37 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
Osetin says

Hi Ostein, Apologies for the confusion. I’m ensuring the staff are aware of this right now and have set your item to a soft-disabled state.

Thank you very much for quick response and taking care of it jremick ;) I am happy that my theme is soft-rejected (did I just say that? :) )

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Hi Ostein, Apologies for the confusion. I’m ensuring the staff are aware of this right now and have set your item to a soft-disabled state.

Now the story facing a twist! :D

Is it allowed to get soft -disabled and upload somewhere else while also without breaking exclusivity agreement?

3445 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

Now the story had twist! :D

Is it allowed to get soft -disabled and upload somewhere else while also without breaking exclusivity agreement?

Yeah, it seems that lately all kinds of things are possible :D

7200 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

exclusive word should be used with the meaning intended by envato in the contract you signed with them.

don’t use the word as defined on dictionary elsewhere on web and you will avoid frustration and lost of time.

here, exclusive means:

when you publish here you can’t sell it on other marketplaces. if you want to sell it on other marketplaces you need to delete the item from envato. Once you delete the item there is no way to put the item back where it was. Is gone.

EDIT:

Apparently all the above is crap and I’m still the last one who finds out when rules changes.

As Ruben said looks like all kinds of things are possible lately but some of us are too old on marketplace and still use old rules while new staff arrived and changed the rules without informed us AND not changing that legal agreement we’ve signed.

I’ve learned my lesson, I will refrain from answering questions about envato rules

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

Now the story facing a twist! :D

Occasionally authors have wanted to test the waters elsewhere and pretty much always come back. The problem with deleting an item and then undeleting it later is that it requires additional staff time (more than soft-disabling) and isn’t really to anyone’s benefit (the longer it’s not listed the fewer sales it generates) because it takes more time all around. My understanding is that so long as the item is not actively listed for sale on our marketplace(s) and others at the same time, an author will not be violating the exclusivity agreement.

My goal is to make the authoring process easier and to help everyone generate more sales. I know you’ll come back to us, so I want to make it easier for you to do that — since, you know, we’re the best place for you to sell your awesome work. ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by