33 posts
  • United States
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Osetin says

Hi Ostein, Apologies for the confusion. I’m ensuring the staff are aware of this right now and have set your item to a soft-disabled state.

Now the story facing a twist! :D

Is it allowed to get soft -disabled and upload somewhere else while also without breaking exclusivity agreement?

Occasionally authors have wanted to test the waters elsewhere and pretty much always come back. The problem with deleting an item and then undeleting it later is that it requires additional staff time (more than soft-disabling) and isn’t really to anyone’s benefit (the longer it’s not listed the fewer sales it generates) because it takes more time all around. My understanding is that so long as the item is not actively listed for sale on our marketplace(s) and others at the same time, an author will not be violating the exclusivity agreement.

My goal is to make the authoring process easier and to help everyone generate more sales. I know you’ll come back to us, so I want to make it easier for you to do that — since, you know, we’re the best place for you to sell your awesome work. ;-)

Thanks for your detailed reply jremick, I completely agree with your point of view.

By the way – I was not going to leave Themeforest – I want to concentrate on Wordpress themes and sell them exclusively on Themeforest, because the prices you set for HTML templates is way too low in my opinion…authors spend a lot of time developing HTML template and after Envato commission they are getting around 7-9$ from each sale…

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

jremick, this makes sense and making authors and staff life better is always a good thing,

except we found out about these awesome unknown rules in the most unexpected ways

this creates a lot of confusion and a good example is the fact that the staff didn’t disabled the item as the author requested when they should had obviously do it.

I wonder how many times one can “jump” around disabling and enabling items while he searches for better places than envato.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Hi Ostein, Apologies for the confusion. I’m ensuring the staff are aware of this right now and have set your item to a soft-disabled state.

Is it allowed to get soft -disabled and upload somewhere else while also without breaking exclusivity agreement?

Occasionally authors have wanted to test the waters elsewhere and pretty much always come back. The problem with deleting an item and then undeleting it later is that it requires additional staff time (more than soft-disabling) and isn’t really to anyone’s benefit (the longer it’s not listed the fewer sales it generates) because it takes more time all around. My understanding is that so long as the item is not actively listed for sale on our marketplace(s) and others at the same time, an author will not be violating the exclusivity agreement.

My goal is to make the authoring process easier and to help everyone generate more sales. I know you’ll come back to us, so I want to make it easier for you to do that — since, you know, we’re the best place for you to sell your awesome work. ;-)

Not sure Enavto these days considers about abuse scenarios. Any choice that reduces support burden seems to be good/productive choice :D

I thought there will be more regulations to control the item deletions in the future so that buyers wont be grumpy about stability of their purchases and license. But now it looks it it is easier to hide items without proper notification to the buyers.

Just wanted to remind that we are selling license! :D Think about buyers :|

33 posts
  • United States
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
Osetin says

Not sure Enavto these days considers about abuse scenarios. Any choice that reduces support reduces seems to be good/productive choice :D

I thought there will be more regulations to control the item deletions so that buyers wont be grumpy about stability of their purchases and license. But now it looks it it is easier to hide items without proper notification to the buyers.

Just wanted to remind that we are selling license! :D

Abuse? How is that an abuse?

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

When there is a possibility of dozen answers, the question loses its necessity.

@Osetin, Not necessarily related to your particular case but think about authors who intentionally upload copied items and playing with original source’s eyes as a temporary removal. Envato is at huge risk in these cases or even serve as a safe-guard mechanism for copy-cats (if not already).

The very concept of temporary disable by author’s wish is risky. If Envato does it for a reasons like bug etc, that doesn’t have room for abuse. But allowing the same to be done by authors isn’t a well thought approach for a license seller.

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

this “new” rule we didn’t know about can be potentially abused by authors, is not about you :)

let us know if the item got soft disabled or not and good luck on other marketplaces.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Nice wording used for wrong case. Wondering how many of exclusive authors want their already uploaded items to be tested on other places and also want to come back. Is this a necessary sophistication?

Sounds like there is zero considerations about how a buyer will face item absconded scenarios. Cheap business decisions.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

I wonder how many times one can “jump” around disabling and enabling items while he searches for better places than envato.

In the meantime of jump, the buyer’s item download page may say something like this as it will reduce burden of support staff from answering each buyer:

This item has been removed neither by staff nor by author. The item itself wanted a vocation and went to foreign marketplace and we are sure that it will comeback again as our land is beautiful.

6767 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

just add the link to that competitors marketplace also :D

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • India
+3 more
VF says

just add the link to that competitors marketplace also :D

... with referral.

Actually I thought things are slowly heading towards that way with proper plan. As we all know referral is a big business than actual service when it comes to item downloads page :|

For me this relaxation of policy will trigger more frequent item vanishes than before. Those authors who were very disciplined in stable portfolio will now start juggling it – ofcource in case this possibility is announced properly.

by
by
by
by
by
by