timnottphotography
timnottphotography Recent Posts Threads Started
6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
timnottphotography says

I have been all through these forums and help sections etc looking for an answer to a rather ordinary question…I am wondering if I am way off m the mark here but:

I have made a few websites, mostly portfolio sites for my photography, but they take forever and are pretty dull. I really wanted to find an off the shelf solution to a much more dynamic site. My hosting provider Pickaweb suggested that I could go to themeforest to find this solution.

The templates I have seen are all extremely nice and slick and I particularly like Kalypso, a long with a portfolio I want to move into e-commerce of my photos and related products as well as camera accessories. Hopefully all in one site.

But I have no real idea what you receive when you purchase one of these templates and how I would then implement it into my website. Would I use Dreamweaver or maybe try WordPress?

Do you need to be a master at coding?

Thanks for any help…

www.timnottphotography.com

148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
BowtieThemes says

If you are not very familiar at coding, you should use one of the CMS themes (Wordpress or Joomla for example). Wordpress is the most popluar and as you can see when you visit some items’ pages you can see that many, many authors offer themes with very good admin panels for you to manage your content easily and without a hitch, with no coding yourself at all.

But if you want Wordpress theme with e-commerce, you should look at this section of WP themes. These themes have e-commerce system intergrated within Wordpress and you can easily add your own products, photos or whatever. If you like a particular item, feel free to comment in the comment section of that item if you want to ask some questions before purchasing it. And ask if author is providing support for that item so you can be sure your questions will be answered if you ever have some problem or bug with it :)

228 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Greece
+2 more
corethemes says

Even a regular HTML template is pretty easy to set up with a tool like Dreamweaver, provided you know some simple HTML and CSS, and Kalypso is an amazing choice. However, as aformentioned, if you’re not at all experienced with HTML and CSS, you should definitely opt for a Wordpress theme, as they’re much easier to install and – especially – to edit.

Cheers, Nikos

timnottphotography
6 posts
timnottphotography says

OK thanks guys..that answers a lot of my queries I think although I will have to go and look into WordPress more than I have as I thought it was a blog platform and I can’t quite see how the e-commerce comes into it.

I will also have a look at CMS themes and more..

T

330 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

Well basically, the more you want out of it the more you have to put into it. If you want to do it all by yourself there are lots of resources and tutorials to learn from. If you don’t want this, the alternative option is to hire someone to do it for you. :-) Goodluck!

2 posts
Astudy says

You can buy a template ,this is the best way.

timnottphotography
6 posts
timnottphotography says

bianca i have found some tutorial pages now but nearly all of them are completely mysterious to me…I shall keep looking though.

A quick check of ‘CMS’ in wikipedia gave me ‘content management system’ and that makes the whole situation a lot more clear to me…

Astudy – are you talking about one of these templates?

330 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

If you haven’t work with CMS before maybe it’s a good idea to install one just to try it out. That means without buying a theme at first. Wordpress and Joomla allow this (take a look at their websites) You wil download a package with instructions included. They are not that hard to walk through. Once you set your site up, see if you can handle it. If so you may want to buy a theme from here :-)

timnottphotography
6 posts
timnottphotography says

I am looking into Joomla now…looks good and there are a few tasty themes :)

thanks for helping me get on my way.

137 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
ThemeShaper says

Not so familiar with Joomla myself, but I would advise WordPress.. if you want to go ecommerce then as BowtieThemes said, check http://themeforest.net/category/wordpress/ecommerce.

As you are new to it all, I would also advise you find a theme with an installer built in, then you can work from the demo theme backwards.. (makes it much easier to figure out what is going on).

If you get truly stuck you can also hire someone to set it up / customize it.

by
by
by
by
by
by