86 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
singh336 says

Hey,

Because of license issues with stock photos, one may have the right to use a photo on his website , but not resale this photo… like on themeforest..

This is understandable… But sometimes we dont have the time / resources to take our own photos OR buy the expensive license for an image just to use it in a template where it will get replaced anyways.

My question is, I want to use stock photos that I have the right to use on a website to display to anyone, in my demo.. so the customer can see how the design and website could work , without being distracted by my crappy photography skills…

Then for the actual download of the templte the images would be replaced by either legally licensed ones for resale, or image holders…

Of course this would be very clear in the demo that the images will not be included with the final product due to copyright issues…

I’m only talking about stock photos here, not some gradient backgrounds you can find from stock photo sites… i wouldnt do that…

250 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
simnor says

ThemeForest have a collection of stock photos for you to use in your templates here: http://themeforest.net/page/asset_library They’re not great as they are pretty general but they do the job.

86 posts
  • Exclusive Author
singh336 says

Yea I know about the assets, and those would be used to replace the stock photos I included with my template for download..

but as far as the demo goes, I cannot use stock photos that i have the license to use for show only and not resale ?

204 posts Bold WordPress Theme Development
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
srhnbr says

I was thinking of doing the same on my next theme release.

So like singh336 said – since images will be replaced anyway by the customer.

I don’t think that would be such a problem but I’d still like to hear what Jeffrey might have to say on this.

536 posts
  • Croatia
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
darius9000 says

good idea! +1

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I use bigstockphoto.com they can be used in templates for resale and start at only $1, it was also recommended by Envato staff.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

You can also use sxc.hu but you need to get permission from the photographers to use the image for commercial redistribution. Anytime I’ve asked to use them in templates for theme forest they’ve always said yes.

To answer your question, yes, you can use images in the demo that aren’t in the download files but please make sure you make a note of it in your item description. It’s also a good idea to use placeholder images in place of the ones you don’t include in the download.

As far as including images in the download that the buyer won’t legally be able to use… I would personally stay away from that. You start getting into legal gray area there and it could easily be avoided by just replacing the restricted images with placeholders or legal images for commercial redistribution.

922 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Hadn’t thought about this, but I suppose it’s actually a good idea (so long as it’s allowed) to use custom images in your live demo (and keep assets library images in the download)... if anything, it helps prevent the continuous use of the same images in everyone’s templates… after creating 2 or 3 templates you begin to want something a little more special for the demo than what’s in the assets library.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says
Hadn’t thought about this, but I suppose it’s actually a good idea (so long as it’s allowed) to use custom images in your live demo (and keep assets library images in the download)

I’ve been including 3-7 nice large stock photos in my themes for awhile as an added value, but I’ve been using the same ones for all themes but I’m slowly building a nice library. At a $1-2 a piece for web quality it’s definitely worth the investment.

86 posts
  • Exclusive Author
singh336 says
Hadn’t thought about this, but I suppose it’s actually a good idea (so long as it’s allowed) to use custom images in your live demo (and keep assets library images in the download)... if anything, it helps prevent the continuous use of the same images in everyone’s templates… after creating 2 or 3 templates you begin to want something a little more special for the demo than what’s in the assets library.

yea thats what im saying !

I’ll do what the above poster said, replace the images with holders / envato assets and make a clear note of it in my demo…

Thanks for all the help guys, really appreciate it..

I use sxc.hu ALOT ! love the site ! best resource for photos ever

by
by
by
by
by
by