587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
AlexFjord says

Hi All, forgive me if this has been discussed already but the new EU cookie compliance rules are confusing us a little.

The way I understand it is that nay site that uses cookies MUSt explain that they do this and what it is for…

Does Wordpress not drop cookies by default? With that in mind any theme on here from a EU author should have the dialogue or at least a link?

I am more interested in it from a client point of view. Let’s say I built a site for a UK client using Wordpress, so I add the little pop up message saying so… How detailed do I need to be? What exactly should I be putting here?

Does anyone have experience or easy solution to this? THANK YOU!

587 posts
AlexFjord says

Edit: Please correct typo in header

407 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
PaddyTaylor says

Thats actually a good point – we have been having issues with this and what does/does not need to be listed. Interested to hear what the staff have to say about files on here as according to the rules we read it is not just about where it is hosted but where the user is and also in this case where the marketplace is.

Either way we will send you what we use as a “generic” (to be slightly adapted per case) content for the page but it would be good to hear what others are doing to comply also

164 posts
  • Located in Europe
Cara_design says

I thought you just had to note that you were using cookies and more or less what for? Do you have to list what each one being dropped is? Can you not have a policy that states the normal privacy stuff and adds a section on cookies and what they are being used to do e.g. “improve the experience” etc?

I imagine the ones that Wordpress drop are for logins and user related features so with that in mind I guess they are compulsory BUT it seems crazy to have to list that info on its own when I we know a lot of people buy WP themes here for websites with no intention of using them as a sign up or blog type system right?

7769 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

just put a message somewhere on the page that informs visitors that you may record certain information about what they are doing on your website.

I’m over simplifying but basically EU have this law that if you get any information about someone you have to have their approval. Since cookies are a way of identifying users and what they do on your website you have to ask them and get their approval as the law said. Since will be retarded to ask every user to sign electronically every time they visit a new website the law states that if you inform them and they continue to use your website then they are Ok with you getting the info about them (with the cookies)

The law have some issues that you have to be aware off. First how clear you need to inform the user. Do you have to put a 50px font info on top of your website? Or is enough to place some small notice in the footer? No one have no idea I can assure you but big websites that are more likely to get sued by users because, off course, they have money, they chose to place the cookie notice very visible. For example BBC news place the notice at top of the page

is not that they are obligated to put the notice there but if someone will ever sue them over this law asking for damages then BBC lawyers can argue that the notice was very visible and the user was informed correctly.

This law is important because users are indeed providing third parties companies with info about what they like, what they buy and many other important info, but in the end is just a joke that simple web developer as us need to bother with when I really have to see EU bringing to court the US government for the massive surveillance program that is clearly breaking all this EU privacy laws.

Another issue is if you need to put the notice if your website is located only in EU or you have to put it in any case. Since I’m seeing that envato have no notice anywhere, maybe they know they don’t need to put the notice since they have the servers outside Europe or they have bad lawyers :)

Anyway :) put the notice somewhere on the page and hope no one will sue you and argue they didn’t see it :D

48 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
themeenergy says

This will help you all: http://silktide.com/cookielaw

587 posts
AlexFjord says

Thank you all for this. So my lasy question is:
- Lets assume I add osmehting like this: http://codecanyon.net/item/cookie-info-wp-cookie-law-compliance-script/4961749?sso?WT.ac=search_item&WT.seg_1=search_item&WT.z_author=DanielPaul

This way it is clearly stated that the site uses cookies etc. So what is the information I need to put in the “more info” or “linked page” e.g. Is it just that we use cookies to improve the experience or is it that I need to list what the cookies are exactly and what they do etc.

I will always incude it in a privacy policy and appreciate is is a bit of a blank area and people are very unsure still – you would think that someone would ( I have seen a few but I do not feel they are right) create a “generic” content for people. Think “Lorum Ipsum” but for cookie policy with blanks for different brands, scenarios etc!

Thanks again for all of the answers

7769 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
doru says

just read what bbc put in their info about cookies page and add something similar. you can check also what google states about this

http://www.google.it/intl/en/policies/technologies/cookies/
587 posts
AlexFjord says

Thanks Doru

164 posts
  • Located in Europe
Cara_design says

We are about to submit our first theme (under the developers account). We are UK based. I realize that envato is Oz based however should a potential buyer remove the top bar and be redirected to our demo link (UK side) does this mean that we should be adding Cookie Compliance to the demo?

With this “frustrating” new law (and it’s rather vague interpretation even from the people who govern it!), it is a nuisance but nonetheless it does exist and while it is of course the responsibility of the buyer to have their policies in place we were considering adding it to the demo as an example and reiteration of the theoretical need for it to be present.

Has envato made any official comment on EU members, their demos and any position on buyer/author responsibility?

by
by
by
by
by
by