21 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Pakistan
Shaaam says

Please first take a moment to read this article which has clearly stated that

All submitted files are thoroughly reviewed based on our technical and aesthetic standards. Your file should be reviewed within three days of submission, however if it’s taking a little longer than that, don’t despair! The queue may have grown unexpectedly, or it’s possible that your file requires a second opinion before a decision can be made.

My questions is if themes are thoroughly review for real. Why authors get canned response of “not upto ThemeForest quality and aesthetic requirements”? Can’t reviewers spend only couple of minutes to write down 3-5 bullet points why they are rejecting a theme. May be, like design is outdated or something is not working as expected.

Every author who submit a theme spends hours to design and implement it. I believe, they deserves a little more explanation than a general rejection paragraph.

I, myself, rejected with same response few weeks ago. I had no idea why it get rejected and what I need to improve. So, I went for peer review on forums. Unfortunately, nothing significant came up except that I should more features. So, I added couple of more features and resubmitted again. And it gets rejected with same response. I have no idea what needs to be improved. By they way, same design is already in Site Templates category and I am submitting it for WordPress category too.

No offense to anyone. Just banging my head why there is no reason for rejection.

Thanks

1390 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
tommusrhodus says

“Thorough review” means that the items will be heavily inspected, not that you will get a report card of what’s wrong. We’ve all been rejected, I’ve been rejected more times than I can count, but the trick is just to carry on, improve your design skills or code skills and see rejection as a good thing, it makes you better :D

EDIT: To clarify, the reviewers are super busy as it is, if they were to start giving advice to every rejection then review times would be insane! there’s always the item feedback forum section if you need it :)

1208 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Smartik says

Can’t reviewers spend only couple of minutes to write down 3-5 bullet points why they are rejecting a theme.
Yes, they do, when your theme is soft-rejected but if it is hard-rejected then something is wrong with your theme and needs your attention in more directions. Also they sometimes write a few tips, even if the theme is hard-rejected but has potential.

Edit: 3-5min * 100 files to reject = 5-8 hours just to explain to somebody that his design is not up to date. An trust me, accepted themes are just a fraction from what is submited.

21 posts
  • Located in Pakistan
Shaaam says

“Thorough review” means that the items will be heavily inspected, not that you will get a report card of what’s wrong.

I am not asking for a report card. 3-5 points explaining what is wrong with the theme, what areas needs attention or may be theme should be put in dustbin. They are not going to approve it no matter what you improve (because its childish or out dated).

I agree, getting rejected makes us improve it more (if one keeps on working.. lol).

EDIT: To clarify, the reviewers are super busy as it is, if they were to start giving advice to every rejection then review times would be insane! there’s always the item feedback forum section if you need it :)

I have been through item discussion forum thread. I think there are few people to give constructive advice. It is obvious as it is not an crowd-sourced forum like stackoverflow. No offense to any author, reviewer or forum contributor

@Smartik: thats right. Two level of reject soft and hard. Hard reject is more often and has less explanation. There should be some explanation. Perhaps, a review of jpeg designs before html/wp designs to separate design related rejection and code related rejection.

3862 posts
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

@Smartik: thats right. Two level of reject soft and hard. Hard reject is more often and has less explanation. There should be some explanation. Perhaps, a review of jpeg designs before html/wp designs to separate design related rejection and code related rejection.

.... If hard rejected there is too much to feed back. a bullet list of points would be futile and actually cause even more issues because people would fix those and then get rejected again because of other issues not highlighted. At this point they will get upset and complain because they did what they were told to but are still rejected.

A jpeg review first? All that would do is double the review queue making it take even longer?

21 posts
  • Located in Pakistan
Shaaam says

.... If hard rejected there is too much to feed back. a bullet list of points would be futile and actually cause even more issues because people would fix those and then get rejected again because of other issues not highlighted. At this point they will get upset and complain because they did what they were told to but are still rejected.

Response can explain that this is few of many. After that another issue may raise up that people start submitting it over and over again that can be avoided by maximum tries of 5-6 submissions per theme. So that authors take “few of many” seriously and do some work about it. Although, 3-5 reason may not pin point the issue as how it is explained in soft rejection.

A jpeg review first? All that would do is double the review queue making it take even longer?

I am sorry if I did not clear myself. I meant that Review could be done in two phases 1. Design Review 2. Coding Review. Rejection response should explain at which phase it got rejected. This way, authors would know whether design is fine or not.

I hope it makes sense, what I am trying to explain. :-)

95 posts Live. Love. ASAP
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
liviu_cerchez says

The real question is: are you ready to accept some criticism (it may be the hard facts of reality) and improve your work?

21 posts
  • Located in Pakistan
Shaaam says

The real question is: are you ready to accept some criticism (it may be the hard facts of reality) and improve your work?

Definitely, why not. Criticism, peer review, bugs, faults are all there to improve ourselves.

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I am sorry if I did not clear myself. I meant that Review could be done in two phases 1. Design Review 2. Coding Review. Rejection response should explain at which phase it got rejected. This way, authors would know whether design is fine or not.

I hope it makes sense, what I am trying to explain. :-)

You can actually do that somehow :) Build the design, submit the PSD file for the PSD category. If it gets accepted you know the design wont be the what caused your rejection in case you build a HTML or WordPress version and it did not make it :)

21 posts
  • Located in Pakistan
Shaaam says

You can actually do that somehow :) Build the design, submit the PSD file for the PSD category. If it gets accepted you know the design wont be the what caused your rejection in case you build a HTML or WordPress version and it did not make it :)

Even though a psd is approved. Coded design may have design issues, spacing, transitions etc.

by
by
by
by
by
by