629 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
Thecodingdude says

I’m sorry but I’m getting a little bit annoyed with how these forums are run, and I’m sick of it.

I hate going into a topic and then it being taken completely offtopic and derailed from the original topic’s views. I will use:

http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/why-are-people-so-impressed/65551?page=1

As an example.

What makes it worse is the moderators are actually joining in! For example, see [edited by mod]’s post here: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/why-are-people-so-impressed/65551?page=6#579382

I dislike pointing fingers and names, but something has too be changed in the forums. I’m not saying not have fun, because I love that about this community. But every time I visit a thread these days there are always useless comments which completely derail what the OP has intended.

May I also point out the rules? See here:

“Go extremely off the topic of the thread in question. We understand the forums are a fun place and a little off topic chat never hurt anyone, but the mods may step in to steer the direction if needed.”

and “Post or solicit any kind of racism, flaming, trolling, harassment, discrimination of any kind, or behavior deemed by the Envato staff to be intentionally abusive or inappropriate will result in an immediate warning. Further violations can escalate to account freezes and bans.”

TL;DR: Sort out the trolls and the mods.

(Also, as per usual I expect to be trolled, great thing we have a report button. If you troll in this thread I will just report your post, so please only sensible posts! :P)

4133 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says
What makes it worse is the moderators are actually joining in! For example, see [edited by mod]’s post here: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/why-are-people-so-impressed/65551?page=6#579382

Before pointing fingers, understand the concept of a joke. I was simply making a joke and agreeing with what VF said. Please don’t point out fingers without a valid reason.

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Thecodingdude says

What makes it worse is the moderators are actually joining in! For example, see enabled’s post here: http://codecanyon.net/forums/thread/why-are-people-so-impressed/65551?page=6#579382
Before pointing fingers, understand the concept of a joke. I was simply making a joke and agreeing with what VF said. Please don’t point out fingers without a valid reason.

It’s not a joke mate, it’s trolling and isn’t relevant to the topic. Therefore it’s offtopic and trolling in one.

Unless you can justify how this adds to the quality of discussion the op intended?

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

It’s not a joke mate, it’s trolling and isn’t relevant to the topic. Therefore it’s offtopic and trolling in one.

Unless you can justify how this adds to the quality of discussion the op intended?

Before we start running around our tails. VF said ” Is this mean I’m positive now? ”, I made a joke, apparently, you were the only one who found this offensive. Beside, you pointed a finger at me, for one picture, 3 pages before my post, there were more, and more off topic messages. I was simply making a joke, and taking the conversation to a “slower” rhythm.

Further more, the community is open, everyone may speak their minds out. That’s why that topic was left open in the first place. What’s the reason to have a forum if everything gets locked. Of course there will be trolls and trolling, but usually members/people ignore those messages and continue the conversation.

2823 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

oh we can’t win can we.

close a trolling thread – it causes issues, participate in a trolling thread – it causes issues,

... disable the thread before anyone reads all the crap that actually goes on the forums … oh wait – no praise :)

• Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
+9 more

oh we can’t win can we.

You got that one right mate.

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Thecodingdude says

If people posted sensible posts relating to the topic I don’t understand how it could be called at trolling. You can win as lots of other forums operate successfully and it’s just about dealing with the spam and the trolls.

I don’t get your point: ” participate in a trolling thread it causes issues,” – as far as I am aware, this thread wasn’t set out to troll, it was designed as a serious topic and I wanted to hopefully read some opinions – no joy there.

As for why I picked you enabled: could it be because you have a shiny red border that says “mod” on your name? :P

3007 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

I am sorry but that is all that he does. Mess around with people. He should get banned from the forums.

629 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Thecodingdude says

I am sorry but that is all that he does. Mess around with people. He should get banned from the forums.

Can you clarify who that was aimed at?

2823 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more