Can we please start blocking AJ authors from posting every 100 sales to tell us all about it

Stuck_in_the_Basement
Stuck_in_the_Basement Recent Posts Threads Started
467 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
Stuck_in_the_Basement Envato team says

Hi Sky, thanks for your concern. Somewhere between your own milestone threads and this current thread of yours, you’ve lost sight of what this community is, and what it has been to you. You used to post these threads too, and people use to rejoice with you, and you used to be grateful for their comments and encouragement. Instead, now you’re going around to multiple milestone threads and posting the same thing:

http://graphicriver.net/forums/thread/what-im-doing-in-my-dashboard-99-of-the-time/63434?page=8 7th one down on page 8 ”

These forums have no room for bullying. I’d rather see more positive milestone threads and rejoice in those people’s milestones (which are all relative to what the composers deems a “milestone” – I get to one about every 2 months), than see more threads complaining like this one.

Jami put it well and the fact that many Envato staff also encourage the authors on these threads should be a good indication that they are desired here. To say that they don’t belong here because you don’t like them is a little selfish. Just move on, man. Move on. There are much better things to devote your time to than being passive aggressive on other people’s milestone threads.

You’ve been a great forum encourager before. I know I’ve personally felt encouraged by you before, especially with a particular song that you have really taken a liking to. Don’t forget that you’re an encourager first. These things are more important and should concern you more.

Take care.
I have been thinking about an appropriate answer since I saw this thread 2 days ago and you just nailed it Phil!
699 posts
    Located in Poland Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Won a Most Wanted contest Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
FxProSound says

There should be separate forum page for these threads, just like ‘Item Request’, ‘Item Discussion’ next ‘Milestones’ or ‘Achievements’. Generally it’s off topic IMHO , but all people who needs motivation and glory should have possibility to display their success somewhere :)

1179 posts 12 notes. Unlimited potential.
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
garethcoker Envato team says

Before this turns into a ‘Lets bash Sky’ thread….

I don’t think he has a problem with the milestone threads themselves, it’s just the multitude of them. It certainly isn’t ‘bullying’.

I mean, when does it end? Why is ‘100 sales’ an important milestone anyway? Why not 87? There have been threads before with ‘666 sales’, just because it’s a fun number, but is that really a milestone?

Sky has posted milestone threads before, as have I, but honestly, the paws are already there as milestone indicators anyway. The whole thing just becomes a bit redundant after a while and many authors stop doing it once they get to a certain point.

However, I also recognise that if authors who don’t like these milestone threads see them, it’s not like we’re forced to read them.

It’s fairly clear that this is quite a divisive topic, as there are some quite strong opinions both for and against.

Also Phil, given that this is a community forum, Sky is also allowed to express his opinion here. While this marketplace is generally a positive one, that doesn’t mean there isn’t a place for criticism or negative opinions. And also, who are you to tell Sky what he should be doing with his time? Playing the devil’s advocate, one could say that you yourself have lost sight of what the forum actually is, a place for OPEN discussion, positive, negative (within reason and fairness), and anything in between.

I’ll repeat my own position on this just for clarity, I think they’re harmless – these threads – but also they are fairly redundant and should, as many authors have noted, have their own section, or be automatically generated.

What I’d like to see Audiojungle implement one day, is a kind of ‘ticker’ or ‘news feed’ highlighting either sales or achievements – much like the home page of Bandcamp (this only highlights sales). The amount of new music that would be exposed by this kind of feed would be huge. I’ve lost track of how many albums I’ve randomly bought just from the homepage of Bandcamp. You could apply endless amounts of filters to the news feed as well, and just have something like this on the AJ homepage.

8231 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

it’s nice to see them randomly but maybe not for every “milestone” from one author… I rarely venture over to AD so I haven’t seen them sorry :P

it’s nice to see authors getting excited though :) at the end of the day if you don’t like it don’t read it…

5076 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

If a forum post were automatically generated, no-one would read it. If these posts were put into their own sub-forum, no-one would read them and no-one would post there either, because it wouldn’t bring the desired attention.

From my experience, milestone posts are self-propagating. Bob the new user drops by the forum and sees 4 or 5 posts along the lines of “Congratulations me! 25 sales.” (or whatever) and thinks.. “Well, I’ve got 50 sales. I might as well make a post too”... and so they start to multiply. I even think it starts to feature as part of a basic marketing strategy for a lot of users.

I’m not much of a fan heavy handed censorship, but since we started being a little selective about which milestones to allow on Videohive, they pretty much stopped appearing. No-one seems much bothered.

The forum has a greater proportion of interesting, topical posts. Now that’s what I call positive!

806 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years Has referred 100+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
Art-of-Sound says

As seen in this post

3014 posts
    Helps us moderate the forums Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

^^ lolol

Every time I see an achievement thread appear it takes me back to the beginning when I was refreshing every 5 minutes and rejoicing over every dollar. Ah nostalgia.

I think if an author feels happy about their marketplace achievements they should be allow to yap about it on the forums, just like most of us have in the beginning (especially me, many many times lol). It’s a great motivator!

Personally haven’t clicked on a milestone thread in a long time (probably like most regulars) so the self-promotion thingey doesn’t phase me. But if they contain links or “check out my itemz!!” within these threads that’s probably a bit much, and I’m sure the post will get reported to staff quickly.

33 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Had an item featured on Envato Market
+1 more
Lmz says

As seen in this post

That new marketplace should bring in a lot of new traffic…..

639 posts
    Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
Crakken says

Great, great, just need some pop-corn to complete this :) Go on guys, keep the thing coming :D

8231 posts Community Moderator
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

@ArtOfSound, LMFAO :D Go go power rangers lol!

Quality.

by
by
by
by
by
by