1344 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

Can we sell WP plugins that we wrote on PHP section here?

505 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+4 more
CraigSnedeker says

you can pretty much find any WP plugin for free so you’d have to offer something wicked awesome for it to sell ;)

1594 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Don’t think you can because of the GPL . There’s been a few threads on this topic, and I don’t think there’s been a definitive answer that I can recall.

Paging Jeffrey…

2022 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

No, WP plugins cannot be sold. WP plugins directly interact with WP’s PHP . Any code interacting with WP’s PHP must be licensed under GPL and cannot be sold.

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says
No, WP plugins cannot be sold. WP plugins directly interact with WP’s PHP . Any code interacting with WP’s PHP must be licensed under GPL and cannot be sold.

Then, I will be interested to know how WordPress going to handle all those paid plugins out there? like e-commerce etc.

+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Then, I will be interested to know how WordPress going to handle all those paid plugins out there? like e-commerce etc.

Awhile ago Matt (WP founder) said that WP isn’t really interested in actively pursuing people violating GPL . I think they’re more concerned with improving WP than dealing with that stuff.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
osigrandi says

Hum..why would it be illegal to sell plugins even under GPL ? I always thought that GPL mainly meant the source code must be made available with the purchased product?

Do I need to brush up on my legal skills?

+12 more
jremick Envato team says
Hum..why would it be illegal to sell plugins even under GPL ? I always thought that GPL mainly meant the source code must be made available with the purchased product? Do I need to brush up on my legal skills?

I don’t think so. This is in the GPL license. http://codex.wordpress.org/GPL

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

The license also says, “You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Once Jeffrey sees this thread he’ll give the definitive answer.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says
Hum..why would it be illegal to sell plugins even under GPL ? I always thought that GPL mainly meant the source code must be made available with the purchased product? Do I need to brush up on my legal skills?

I don’t think so. This is in the GPL license. http://codex.wordpress.org/GPL

You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of this License.

The license also says, “You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee.

Once Jeffrey sees this thread he’ll give the definitive answer.

You know why I’m asking? Because I read a very interesting article some while ago on some piece of hardware that worked on GPL software. The manufacturing company, of course, charged money for their product and were in the processing of getting sued.

However, they were not getting sued for selling the product, but for not including the source code used for the firmware or whatever software they ran the hardware on.

Of course, Wordpress plugins are not hardware, but the situations have a lot in common because of GPL . It would be interesting to get the opinion of a real lawyer on this.

415 posts
  • Located in Europe
+2 more
osigrandi says

Not sure if this is exactly the product I read about, but here’s something similar about BusyBox which is GPL software.

http://www.techspot.com/news/28304-busybox-settles-second-gpl-lawsuit.html

Backed by the Software Freedom Law Center, creators of the BusyBox open source utility have settled a second lawsuit regarding GPL violations. Developers Erik Andersen and Rob Landley argued that networking hardware maker Xterasys used BusyBox in its products without releasing the source code.
by
by
by
by
by
by