156 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

I’ve developed sites with Wordpress before, and I know how flexible it is (especially when you add in plugins). But still, I was wondering how easy it would be to have a portfolio site with project pages that look something like this:

http://squaredeye.com/work/featured/family-life-network/

Each of their case studies have a distinct layout and any number of screenshots. Now I’m sure it’s possible to do with Wordpress, but how hard would it be ? Are there plugins that would help achieving this?

For examples, are there plugins for adding CSS to a specific post page? Would Wordpress play nice with html content, including class names, floated divs, etc, inside the post text?

Thanks!

951 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

For examples, are there plugins for adding CSS to a specific post page? Would Wordpress play nice with html content, including class names, floated divs, etc, inside the post text?

I wouldn’t know how to create all of that site (I love the site btw), but I do know that you can create “page templates” which are just templates you can assign to each individual category, post, page, etc.
So if you, for example, have all sorts of case studies that you want to look the same, you just create “case-study.php” and you assign that page template to the category “case study” :)

125 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Eight7Teen says

To answer your question, yes… That can be done quite easily with WordPress actually. Simply creating special “page templates” will enable you to create all kinds of unique layouts for different types of content on any given WordPress site.

1589 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Like the other two guys said, definitely doable by using page templates and custom fields to inject your styling, html, etc…

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

Let’s say I wanted to have my post spread across three columns, to take a simple example.

Using specific page templates and custom fields, I would have to use three custom fields and fill them with each column’s content, and then display these custom fields inside the column divs. The problem is that all of wordpress’ post editing capabilities (formatting, media uploading, etc.) are not available in custom fields.

I guess the best way I can think of for now is to separate the post into divs inside the post window itself, and then have a custom field where you enter the css required to position these divs the way you want.

If anybody has real-world examples of wordpress sites with customized post pages, I’d be interested in seeing them. The most famous example (but done with Expression Engine) is probably Jason Santa Maria’s site: http://www.jasonsantamaria.com/

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

Another really cool example (don’t know which CMS he’s using, if any): http://dustincurtis.com/

951 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Daan says

If you want to create something like Jason Santa Maria, you just can use page templates, and assign it to a specific post.

by
by
by
by
by
by