382 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

I’ve been working on this website for a band, and it’s just about done:

http://www.labusdesign.com/travisjames/index.html

However, I can’t get the contact form to work. I created the form and added to PHP script, but when I fill it out and hit submit, I just get a 500 Internal Server Error.

Unfortunately I’m just about clueless when it comes to PHP (the script I got from webdesigndeluxe, and he verified that it works for him on his sites).

Thanks for any help!

1333 posts
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
fuelthemes says

I think you should have sold that design on themeforest :)

164 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
hagdesigns says

Your server might not be configured for outgoing mail. Where are you testing this, locally or through a web host?

962 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webdesigndeluxe says

^^^^^^^ wow he’s good! :D

426 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
vasilios says

Whenever I get a 500 error it’s usually a CHMOD error. Make sure the file is CHMODed to 755. :)

Very nice design by the way!

382 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
blabus says

Thanks!

I’m testing it on my server- that link is exactly where it’s not working.

Unfortunately, if it’s anything other than HTML , CSS, or Javascript, I’m a complete newbie. How would I CHMOD the file to 755 (and which file do I CHMOD ?) :)

426 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
vasilios says

The CHMODing option is usually in your FTP client. :) You CHMOD the file that’s giving you the 500 error.

159 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Located in Europe
+1 more
peex says

Open your ftp program en select the folder. Right click an select chmod then set it to 777. It will be different program to program.

164 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
hagdesigns says

You would need to use an FTP client or a file manager on your server to change permissions.

When you say “my server” do you mean on a web host like Media Temple, or do you mean like xampp with localhost, OR are you cool like me and roll your own dedicated linux servers :p?

382 posts
+2 more
blabus says

No, I’m using Network Solutions web hosting.

Right now I’ve got it working, as I used Network Solutions’ form builder to create the script, and then adapted it for my page. However, it’s Perl, not PHP .

EDIT : I tried the PHP script again, using CyberDuck modified the permissions from 755 to 777, but I’m still getting the same 500 Internal Server error.

by
by
by
by
by
by