• Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
bgm Reviewer says

Doing so would be highly unprofessional in any case. I personally dedicate most of my time to reviewing, I view my marketplace account as a bit of fun. The reviewing team is dedicated to help the community sell and purchase the highest quality files possible – and we are always happy to help an author with setting out a clear path to move forward with any file.

8 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
supersam14 says

To my point exactly, Thanks Philmo! Although I am not certain you get the Apple analogy as I was not seriously implying that I would do that myself. Bgm am certain you take great pride and are of utmost professionalism my main question is why not let the market dictate what sells versus saying we have too many of a certain item?

529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Moderator
+5 more
AmandaHackwith Staff says

Regarding reviewers: we take pride in hiring only the most qualified and professional guys to work here at GraphicRiver. They are all amazing at what they do, and part of my role as Site Manager is to make sure reviewing is done in an equitable and efficient manner. Even a hint of unfair treatment is handled seriously. None of our guys would risk that.

Professionalism aside, it sounds like this may be more of an issue regarding a specific rejection. The review team reserves the right to reject “trending” items that are not of the highest quality or are just too identical to an existing item. Copying an existing item is a copyright issue, but we also have to limit trends to keep the marketplace from being overwhelmed by nearly identical items when something becomes crazy-popular. For example, I’m fairly certain we get at least half a dozen minimal, white/grey text on black business card designs a day. And that’s just one trend! If we accepted all of these, our new items page would get to looking pretty repetitive and it would be tough for buyers to distinguish one file from another.

As always, we’re here to help! If you have a question about a rejection, reviewer conduct, or any other concern, you should contact Envato Support and we’ll make sure it gets addressed. :)

200 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Goldenbug says
... And if we’re going to end talking about corruption and stuff; come on, if you are that unsatisfied and displeased by the rules and the marketplace’s system, try another one :) Chris

this is the ugliest comment type in the envato world. I fed up with reading comments like that. When I saw a comment like that in envato marketplace I assume/understand that as vaporings, megalomania, self-conceit(as envato and as personal).

Okay envato is good, envato is great and we love envato marketplace but non of us-especially envato staff- has no any right to say that words to other one. if we produce and we live in here for selling, buying, learning, sharing and if there is an critique about the system please DON ’T paste those words like that in here!

376 posts
  • Argentina
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
360Degrees says

It is not the reviewers fault. They might be more experienced than you, they have been a long time in Envato. People will buy good files. Make something good and genuine and you will have big sales.

2211 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says
... And if we’re going to end talking about corruption and stuff; come on, if you are that unsatisfied and displeased by the rules and the marketplace’s system, try another one :) Chris

this is the ugliest comment type in the envato world. I fed up with reading comments like that. When I saw a comment like that in envato marketplace I assume/understand that as vaporings, megalomania, self-conceit(as envato and as personal).

Okay envato is good, envato is great and we love envato marketplace but non of us-especially envato staff- has no any right to say that words to other one. if we produce and we live in here for selling, buying, learning, sharing and if there is an critique about the system please DON ’T paste those words like that in here!

? – I think you missed my point, or I definitely expressed myself badly. What I tried to say is that the topic of corruption, based of my analogy with the judge, is far away from the main topic/concern/issue discussed here. Thus, if he/she would still want to mention it, I wonder why not try another marketplace if he/she is merely wanting to start a discussion/conflict.

That aside, I do understand now what the main concern of supersam14 was :)

2201 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
ArikB says

If you do not mind then I would like to look into your reasoning and see if we can come to terms here.

Your original post claims that reviewers benefit from the unethical treatment of other authors by means of blocking the competition. You proclaim that in such a manner a reviewer benefits from achieving a position as a top seller and this does not allow a free market economy of sorts. You suggest to remove the reviewing aspect from the submission proces because this will allow the market to control itself, you would like a laissez faire market.

Your arguments and my rebuttals:

1. Reviewers benefit from the unethical treatment of authors by means of blocking competition. (In your words ‘a conflict of interest’)

You negate the negative long-term aspects associated with this conduct. The more competitive and “healthier” this marketplace is, the more authors it attracts, the more we spend reviewing and the more we are sure of retaining our jobs, the more money we make from reviewing.

We are paid to review items. We charge for this. Your first argument is a gross oversimplification of the motivation behind reviewing items.

2. Regulation does not allow the marketplace to behave like a free market

From your original post:

In terms of business cards there are currently 492 out of 1417 that have received 10 or more sales, that is roughly 35% of the total.

^That’s called supply and demand. Free market at work right there. I haven’t checked your data but that is beyond the point of this discussion.

Another argument I would like to make is that you have no understanding of the reviewing process and the amounts of submissions which we process and how we process them. How do you know what the quality is of most of the items which we reject? How are you so sure that the marketplace will not be flooded with near ms-paint quality level files? How can you strive for a solution without having any understanding of the problem you are trying to solve?

What you negate – and what makes any comparison between this and a macro economy incomplete – is that the mechanics present here and in a macro economic environment are not the same. What happens if a company releases a product that nobody wants? It runs out of business and disappears, the owners may lose an investment. There’s an inherent risk with failure.

What happens on GraphicRiver if you submit a file and it fails to sell? Nothing, except that we’re stuck with it. You appear to forget that GraphicRiver is part of a private venture, a commercial operation. These junk files will not only use up resources (space, bandwidth &c.) but they will also damage the image of the marketplace and cause it to perform badly which will, again, decrease sales and cause the reviewer to lose his job. The value of the market as a whole influences the performance of items within the market, it is managements job to push this market as much as possible.

It is in fact because of regulation that this marketplace is performing better, by serving higher quality files at competitive prices, which in term allows it to attract more and better authors which in term increases revenue and benefits all of the staff. You see where I’m going.

One of the biggest problems we had was the saturation of certain categories. This is mainly due to the near nonexistent entry barriers to this marketplace. You need the proper software (and we know how people who don’t have any money are able to get that), that’s it. You don’t need any skills to submit your file, if we weren’t reviewing, guess what that ends up with.

Let us assume that the worst case scenario happens, a reviewer decides to go bonkers and reject good files in order to push his own file to the top. The following instruments are in place to deal with this:

1) Ability to object by the author. You have the right to ask for clarification for any rejection reason and you have the right to complain. Your complaint will be handled by other staff, not just the reviewer who reviewed your item.

2) Managerial overhead. Management benefits solely from the operations of this venture and thus has no possible incentive to support anyone in such malpractices.

Your position is based on a collection of generalizations, assumptions and oversimplified modeling. It is not supported by data. The examples you provide conflict with your position or they are false comparisons based on the assumptions that a macro economy works the same as this marketplace.

To conclude, rational thought dictates that it is not profitable for reviewers to kill off competition and the probability of such an event happening is very low.

Feel free to comment and disagree. :) Feel free to ask me anything, you are the customer, you are the king (or queen for the ladies :) ).

Have a nice day!

2211 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+4 more
crozer says
If you do not mind then I would like to look into your reasoning and see if we can come to terms here.

Your original post claims that reviewers benefit from the unethical treatment of other authors by means of blocking the competition. You proclaim that in such a manner a reviewer benefits from achieving a position as a top seller and this does not allow a free market economy of sorts. You suggest to remove the reviewing aspect from the submission proces because this will allow the market to control itself, you would like a laissez faire market.

Your arguments and my rebuttals:

. . . . . .

Have a nice day!

You are one insane bastard. Totally agree and it somewhat describes my confusion towards the main concern of this topic.

8 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United States
supersam14 says

Wow such nice responses from you all.

Me upon discovering envato :O

What a great way to make money, let me look through the files to see which are selling best and try to make something similar but unique. Hmmmm everyone seems to buy black business cards, so I am off to make a black business card that I feel is unique and not necessarily basic.

Me yesterday, just got rejected multiple times :crying:

Then I started looking at multiple files that were being accepted (sure I can not see who else is being rejected but I can see who is being accepted). I feel those files fit the criteria that I have been rejected on. Why am I getting rejected and these are not.

:mad: I then go to the forums to post

ArikB you are right I did make that accusation mainly out of frustration, I apologize.

And yes I did over generalize but I wonder what the market would be like if the market could dictate what sells. I do understand that the files take up space on servers and cost bandwidth.

How about a option where we could pay for our files to be posted?

There is no doubt that envato is the best place to market our designs and not being able to get your foot in the door becomes quite frustrating especially when you see others getting approved for something you were just rejected on.

376 posts
  • Argentina
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
360Degrees says

Well… paying for a file that won’t sell has no sense. Reviewers try to help you when they reject your file, they are not rejecting your file because they want to make more money.

by
by
by
by
by
by