• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
digitalimpact says

I just received a ‘newsletter’ from a CodeCanyon author about his latest and greatest plugin.

Obviously, I’m writing this because I did not sign up for such a thing. When I replied asking when did I give my permission for him to do so, I received a delivery failure notification (550 No Such User Here). More, the email was sent to one of my addresses that I do not use with the marketplace account.

So, what would you recommend to do to such scumbags, besides hitting the spam button? And what’s Envato’s position & action when it comes to such things? Is any action taken by Envato? (asking because I want to know if it’s worth reporting to support).

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I would be careful about jumping the gun on this. I don’t really know much about spamming but I know someone was using one of my email addresses once to spam people. I didn’t even realize it until I had logged into my hosting account and saw all the “please remove me from your list” emails. But I called my hosting company and my email wasn’t hacked. Because the emails never actually came from my server. Instead the spammers were somehow modifying the mail headers to make them seem like they came from me. Nevertheless, I deleted the mail accounts because I wasn’t using them anyway. But a story to think about before we grab the pitchforks :D

Why would someone do this here? Well 99.9% of members are mature professionals. But there’s always the .01% :P

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
digitalimpact says

^ It’s not the case in this situation.

Email was sent to my Gmail address, using FROM : name@somedomain.com, while it actually went out from name@nameoftheserverheisusing.won‘ttellthecountry.

5 years doing email marketing taught me to smell a spammer a mile away.

Don’t know why someone would be such a clown, I didn’t know the circus was in town…

46 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Belgium
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Blaxus says

Using PHP , you can send Emails without the email actually existing. In other words you can use any email you like. Even one that isn’t yours. That means you can also never trust an email receiver as proof.

When it comes down to it though. You could possible track down the Hosting Service where the email came from.

Most Shared hosting accounts don’t allow users to send “spam”. In their words it’s usually sending too much mail at once. Others don’t even allow newsletter scripts.

It’s all in their TOC that no one ever reads, you could potentially have his account disabled if it was a Shared hosting account that the email was sent from.

However, if the email was sent from a VPS or Dedicated Server, it’s very likeley that you can not have the Hoster shut him down.

But on the flip-side, the owner should be responsible for the spam sent from that server.

2441 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
digitalimpact says

Thanks for the reply, Blaxus – I am aware of the points you made :)

Guess I’m more interested about what both authors here would do in my situation and, most importantly, what’s Envato’s take on this.

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

Guess I’m more interested about what both authors here would do in my situation and, most importantly, what’s Envato’s take on this.

Maybe contact the author from his/her profile page and see if he/she responds?

46 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Belgium
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
Blaxus says

As a rule of thumb, any “newsletter” system (automatic mail sending) must have a way to unsubscribe, even if you did not subscribe directly.

If this is not the case. It is classified as spam.
In regard Envato, I think they can only help if it was abuse of their system.

If Envato starts punishing people who did not really abuse their system then it would be very bad for everyone selling items.

by
by
by
by
by
by