4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
oakland says

I’ve been a member here for over 2 years and have bought well over 100 plugins and themes and spent thousands of dollars in the process.

I have always viewed the comments of other buyers before buying a plugin or theme so I can gauge whether the author would be someone I want to do business with or not. I used to believe this was a good system until I recently had several of my comments deleted from one plugin where I was not happy with one issue and how the author handled it.

To add insult to injury, I then got falsely accused of spamming his thread, when I was simply expressing my dissatisfaction about an issue.

Now is this the official policy here when it comes to best-selling authors where they are allowed to delete any negative comments that might impact their sales?

5561 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

The author has a high degree of flexibility for their item comment area. Often, if they have a separate support forum, they would rather have all the comments posted there instead of in their item comments. Also, if the author feels that they have made all attempts to extend support to a buyer and the buyer persists in posting new comments, they have the right to flag these for removal.

Additionally, some situations are better handled through Envato Support rather than arguing back and forth through the item comments. If there is a genuine concern about the item not working correctly, it is best to draw it to the attention of our Support team.

4 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
oakland says

The author has a high degree of flexibility for their item comment area. Often, if they have a separate support forum, they would rather have all the comments posted there instead of in their item comments. Also, if the author feels that they have made all attempts to extend support to a buyer and the buyer persists in posting new comments, they have the right to flag these for removal. Additionally, some situations are better handled through Envato Support rather than arguing back and forth through the item comments. If there is a genuine concern about the item not working correctly, it is best to draw it to the attention of our Support team.

Ok, but I think I am hearing that it is indeed OK to censor comments, because the decision is all based on what the author thinks, rather than what the customer or a third party thinks. There seems to be no arbitration on behalf of the customer. You just see your comments removed and no explanation is given, nor can you even dispute anything.

Now if you delete such comments then how does the next buyer know that? You have censored the thread and in doing so, denied other possible purchasers that info. In my case the item description did not match what was delivered. Now nobody else can see that.

This is what my concern is. I feel I cannot trust the comments anymore because the underlying intent seems to be to promote sales.

This makes me want to buy less plugins in the future because I don’t want to be one of the suckers to first buy it, then find an issue, and then be further insulted by having my comments being censored.

5561 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Canada
  • Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Very valid points and it’s a reason I’m pushing towards a more robust ratings system that can be used outside of comments to get a quick review of item feedback and is outside of any flagging system.

669 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

For what it’s worth, you can still vote through rating and additionally with your wallet by not purchasing again from the author (if you can help it that is ).

Authors that do bad customer support will eventually accumulate enough negative ratings and hence serve as a warning to others. While a comment is a good warning indicator, consider that it can easily get buried under layers of comments, which is normal on a top selling item and go unnoticed.

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Ok, but I think I am hearing that it is indeed OK to censor comments, because the decision is all based on what the author thinks, rather than what the customer or a third party thinks.

I agree it’s a problem if the author is just blatantly flagging every negative comment, but unfortunately some comments just aren’t justified. And in these cases, the comment isn’t really helpful to anyone.

632 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Thecodingdude says

The author has a high degree of flexibility for their item comment area. Often, if they have a separate support forum, they would rather have all the comments posted there instead of in their item comments. Also, if the author feels that they have made all attempts to extend support to a buyer and the buyer persists in posting new comments, they have the right to flag these for removal. Additionally, some situations are better handled through Envato Support rather than arguing back and forth through the item comments. If there is a genuine concern about the item not working correctly, it is best to draw it to the attention of our Support team.

Consider this when the user makes a new report:

NOTE : WE WILL NOT REMOVE NEGATIVE FORUM MESSAGES UNLESS THEY ARE ABUSIVE OR OFFENSIVE . ONCE A COMMENT HAS BEEN REPORTED IT CANNOT BE RETRACTED AND WILL BE SENT TO MODERATORS FOR REVIEW .

5360 posts The Dude Abides
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

^ But you aren’t looking at it from both sides. As authors we have to have some control over erroneous information being displayed on our item pages. It’s terrible for the author who just spent 6 months developing a product and not the least bit helpful to other buyers either.

7 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
sharonq says

I am a new user at Codecanyon and have purchased about a dozen plugins/themes. The comments section is critical for me when I am deciding if I wish to purchase. It concerns me very much that comments can be censored.

It would help a great deal if there were separate ratings for the plugin and for support – I have seen plugins with high ratings where based on the comments the author vanished 6 months ago – but did give great support and a great plugin initially – support is only as good as the past six months so all “support” ratings could expire after 6m.

As a novice WP dev the quality of a plugin’s support is of primary importance and right now I need to trust that support issues will be reflected in the comment system – though I can see that authors need to be protected from spam.

298 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

It’s understandable to get frustrated in such a situation, but when that frustration is taken out in the comments section, it’s not fair to the author or other buyers.

by
by
by
by
by
by