18 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
TimeNomad says

Hello,

I’ve seen here several WP themes use the Century Gothic font via Cufon.

Is it legal? Or do they simply not include it in the final download file & instead instruct the buyer how to purchase this font and/or another font?

It’s a very beautiful font I’d like to use!! I don’t mind purchasing it, but I’ve read that for each user a fee must be paid… =/ Which is of course out of the question.

2 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
tjharrop says
Hello,

I’ve seen here several WP themes use the Century Gothic font via Cufon.

Is it legal? Or do they simply not include it in the final download file & instead instruct the buyer how to purchase this font and/or another font?

It’s a very beautiful font I’d like to use!! I don’t mind purchasing it, but I’ve read that for each user a fee must be paid… =/ Which is of course out of the question.

Well, to be honest, it’s a bit cliche anyway, why not try one of the popular freebies on dafont.com?

The usage of Myriad is pretty forgiving I think – its owned by Adobe but it’s all over the place.

252 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
der says

League Gothic is an Open Source font, released by the League of Moveable Type.

2 posts
tjharrop says

That’s much more useful than my opinionated answer!

49 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
JordanK says

Well according to this source, Century Gothic is present on about 87% of user’s machines. From other sources I’ve seen this is a pretty accurate number. I’m not sure if you’re allowed to use it with Cufon but with the number of people who have it, I’d just use it as a normal websafe font and choose a satisfactory back-up in the font stack. I say let 13% of users view a less than ideal font rather than increase download time with extra javascript for 100% of users.

960 posts
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
jeffeatworld says

im pretty sure you can use it with cufon since you don’t distribute the font itself, its just a javascript file that renders it for you.

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
TimeNomad says

Thanks all, even though it’s been some time still will come in handy…

Why I want to use it with Cufon is because of the smoothing, looks awesome. Dunno whether the font is jagged stand-alone.

1026 posts
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • France
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
Pixelworkshop says

As Jordan said, with 87% of users who already have the font, I wouldn’t use cufon, but I read somewhere that it’s possible to detect if the font is available and load the cufon thing if not. But again, a good font stack would be enough in my opinion. Good luck !

And to avoid copyright problems, you can enable the cufon on your demo and provide info explaining where to download the font, how to convert it for cufon, etc… I mean if you don’t include the font script in the package, you avoid this problem :)

by
by
by
by
by
by