1688 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says

Unfortunately we live in a world where the most people don’t have the time (or don’t care) to read what they supposed to (the main idea of this thread) , but the Caption of the thread…!

7761 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
doru says

If I notice a drop in sales then I know who to blame.

2209 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

I think it’s best not to think about Envato buyers as if they were kindergarten morons who will read a thread and turn their world around, based on what some random guy on the internet posted. Unless they think: “I need two sets of icons, a WP theme and a video project. Oh, look, a thread. Screw it all”. As you see, everyone is strongly sticking to their own opinions and most buyers are much more confident in knowing what they want and why they want it. They don’t come here to make themselves feel better. If it was so easy to influence casual buyers (who visit the forums in case of emergencies anyway) by posting threads, then we would have a very strong profit model.

I never said anybody here is a moron. And while we’re at it, I don’t think that, either. :)

Btw, I remember that some buyers stated on forums now and then about buying some files even if they didn’t need them at the moment. There is “unintentional” buying even on Envato, and it’s not so hard to imagine with so many professionally made previews ;)

Now, just to make myself clear, I never meant to imply that your thread can cause a mass hysteria or something like that. But still, even in this thread you have examples of people who read only your title and left a comment, without reading the article you linked…

P.S. To put some laughter into this: there’s a joke about a scrooge who fell into depression and was advised to buy something to feel better… He was indecisive but after all he did it… He spent $200! What did he buy? He bought 154 euros :D:P

1745 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
gbs says

If I notice a drop in sales then I know who to blame.

LOL . True story.

I have just read Leo’s post about this Challenge before seeing this topic. I know he is with good intention, however if some decide to buy nothing then many other will get nothing for their family this Season, too. It’s a system. I mean, we should consider when buying anything, but buy nothing – it’s a whole Challenge, for both buyer and seller.

6071 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

All sounds no one cares to read linked articles unless the whole message pasted in the main thread :p may be the article has the flaw of just triggering opposite trend to Black Friday, which is awkward though :)

From what I observed that article, it speaks about freedom of both purchase/not purchase which should be ultimate goal of any market. Does’t the offers / discounts pushes just 10% people happy and remaining 90% of buyers towards choiceless / forced choice someway?

Secondly the plastics and metals that sits on home for no intented reason are unnecessary contributors of global warming and consequences (since it takes energy to manufacture-dispose anything). I mean the habit of over production and pushing materials to people isn’t a matured activity – since we have a tiny, small sized to earth to make all these to happen :D

894 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
infuse01 says

I’ll be shopping this holiday season. Because the money I give to these “evil” corporations allows them to provide jobs for average people who can then put food on the table for their kids.

Oh dear, I love this argument. You can also spend your money on smaller shops. They can also provide jobs to the average people. There is no need to spend always everything in the big corps or for stuff nobody needs…

@cmt i like the idea, the initial thought but as you can see the world is obviously not ready yet. Actually I see some folks around here which have really aggressive feelings. It’s like capitalism is their religion. Be aware dude ;-)

5384 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

I’ll be shopping this holiday season. Because the money I give to these “evil” corporations allows them to provide jobs for average people who can then put food on the table for their kids.
Oh dear, I love this argument. You can also spend your money on smaller shops. They can also provide jobs to the average people. There is no need to spend always everything in the big corps or for stuff nobody needs…

In what part of my statement did I say I only shop at big retailers?

I can’t speak for other parts of the world, but here in the U.S. the best thing we can do to help keep people employed is to shop as normal. And yes, that includes relying on people to buy things they don’t necessarily need ;)

894 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+5 more
infuse01 says

In what part of my statement did I say I only shop at big retailers?

I can’t speak for other parts of the world, but here in the U.S. the best thing we can do to help keep people employed is to shop as normal. And yes, that includes relying on people to buy things they don’t necessarily need ;)

Sorry, I assumed with ‘evil’ corps you meant the big retailers – never saw a small one-man ‘evil’ corp but yeah, in america everything is possible I guess.

And it is exactly that behaviour I dislike so much. Buying stuff you don’t need, buying stuff to keep the economy running. Your presidents keep telling you that BS and you believe it. OK, anyway – that’s nothing what should be discussed here. I’m off…

7761 posts
+4 more
doru says

Your presidents keep telling you that BS and you believe it.

Like in every country in the world.

124 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
Mangustas says

+100

by
by
by
by
by
by