911 posts Never trust a ballerina with a moustache
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
Carmen says

Hi everyone, Just letting you know we’re going to be deploying a change that means authors using FTP will only be able to login (to FTP) using their API key (currently it’s password OR API key).

When the change goes out, we’ve changed the FTP program to say; “login incorrect. Passwords are no longer accepted to authenticate via FTP, please use your API key instead. You can read more about the API here.

FAQs
Do I have generate my API key first? Yes you’ll have to generate one, you can find how how here.

What happens if I revoke that one and then re-generate another? If you revoke an API key then you will have to update the FTP program with an active API key

What if they have multiple API Keys? You can use any of your active API keys.

41 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Indonesia
+2 more
Jakartanese says

I just curious and don’t know technical consideration behind this. :) Is it more more confidential password than API? Because we only use password to access Envato’s site, and sometimes we easily give our API key to any 3rd party, such as application even that is not Envato’s official.

357 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
billyf says

I just curious and don’t know technical consideration behind this. :) Is it more more confidential password than API? Because we only use password to access Envato’s site, and sometimes we easily give our API key to any 3rd party, such as application even that is not Envato’s official.
In that case, you should generate a new API key which is meant specifically for your FTP only ;)
2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

At this time of the year may i suggest that a message is placed on authors dashboards or send out an email as many will not see this message and you will then receive a flood of posts no doubt in the new year asking why their FTP uploads are not working.

Just a suggestion.

Jonathan

5346 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Even with this change I think it’s still ok. Because even if someone used your API key + ftp, all they can really do is upload something to your account storage. They’d still have to have your password to apply that to an official upload/update.

41 posts
  • Located in Indonesia
+2 more
Jakartanese says

+1 for Jonathan’s suggestion.

41 posts
  • Located in Indonesia
+2 more
Jakartanese says

In that case, you should generate a new API key which is meant specifically for your FTP only ;)

Even with this change I think it’s still ok. Because even if someone used your API key + ftp, all they can really do is upload something to your account storage. They’d still have to have your password to apply that to an official upload/update.

Yes, never think about that, haha. Thank you billyf & CodingJack.

41 posts BD Themes
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
bdthemes says

Thanks for this information :)

1159 posts
  • Located in Brazil
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+8 more
RafaelOliveira says

Thx for the info :)

2128 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+6 more
urbazon says

It actually doesn’t matter, because they said any API key can be used to log in into ftp accout ;)

But, on the other hand, CodingJack is right, the only bad thing that can happen is that somebody logs into your ftp account and uploads something to it. They can’t download anything, nor can they do anything with the uploaded files afterwards. But still, I wouldn’t like somebody messing with my ftp account. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by