2 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
randima69 says

Hello Everyone,

Just a small question to clarify this (I’m no tech guy). I know what a child theme means (you can add custom stuff, change stuff etc. without affecting the parent theme and update the parent theme’s new releases easily)

Questions is > When author’s post on their themes under ‘customization’ , ‘Features’ the wording > ‘Child Theme Support’

Does it mean the child theme (folder – with all files) is available with the theme?

Just want to clarify this :)

Thanks!

3163 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Depending on the theme in question it may come with one but technically that phrase normally means if there is not one there already then you can create one and it will work without issues

158 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
greenshady says

Basically, child theme support means that the theme was coded properly using WordPress standards for loading template files. WordPress has several template-file loading functions that should be used within [parent] themes so that child themes can overwrite these templates if need be.

Essentially, all correctly-coded themes support child themes. There really shouldn’t be a need to announce that the theme supports child themes.

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

Essentially, all correctly-coded themes support child themes. There really shouldn’t be a need to announce that the theme supports child themes.

There are so many things this statement can be applied to in WordPress and web development in general. I have to laugh sometimes when I see the “features” being listed by themes.

3117 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
chrisakelley says

There are so many things this statement can be applied to in WordPress and web development in general. I have to laugh sometimes when I see the “features” being listed by themes.

BUT ITS SEO, HTML88874.4 CSS399.5!!!!!

sorry those are more useless terms you’ll see in the “features” lists (I think Im even guilty for a few)

But Justin nailed it, if the theme is coded properly then it should support child themes. Some theme authors add a little extra support (plug-able functions, filters/hooks etc)

419 posts
  • Austria
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
iHelp says

sorry those are more useless terms you’ll see in the “features” lists (I think Im even guilty for a few)

Seeing it from another perspective, it seems you cannot add too much information to the item description when it comes to compatibility and features. In the support forums I work in I frequently come across user requests for a full list of compatible plugins… a full list… 

I don’t think the endless feature lists that can be found in item descriptions are shameful advertising, it’s more that the users who purchase the themes often don’t know what they can even do with it, let alone taking the “risk” of trying if something they need will work or not. Therefor a long list of dos, don’ts, can and cannots prevents useless threads or comments and therefor saves time.
Just like a good documentation and a maintained faq/knowledgebase section.

Only my point of view from experience as a support staff.

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

BUT ITS SEO, HTML88874.4 CSS399.5!!!!!

But Justin nailed it, if the theme is coded properly then it should support child themes. Some theme authors add a little extra support (plug-able functions, filters/hooks etc)

Yeah, SEO is what I was thinking of specifically when I wrote that. :D I had stopped putting it in my descriptions but got tired of explaining in pre-sales questions that a properly coded theme is ALWAYS optimized for search indexing so now I’ve started using it again.

It really is the education of the buyer leading to these item details I think. There isn’t anything wrong with it and I’m not suggesting buyers are uneducated, not all of them at least :P , but there is so much misinformation and way too much to keep up with. If I didn’t do this all day as my main job there is no chance I’d understand all the particulars of the terminology, features, functionality, etc.

I still love Justin’s original comment. You hit the nail on the head buddy!

by
by
by
by
by
by