15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
gmdpickett says

Hey Everyone.

I have purchased a number of different themes to use for client projects. In some instances there have been requests by clients to change or alter the look of a theme.

If I have purchased a theme through TF can I create a child theme for it without the need to purchase the extended license if the theme is still only used for just that one website?

Are there any restrictions on child theme creation for themes purchased through TF?

I would like to know the opinions from the authors on this subject as well as any feedback from anyone that may be using some of the themes they purchased to create a child theme.

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Hey Everyone.

I have purchased a number of different themes to use for client projects. In some instances there have been requests by clients to change or alter the look of a theme.

If I have purchased a theme through TF can I create a child theme for it without the need to purchase the extended license if the theme is still only used for just that one website?

Are there any restrictions on child theme creation for themes purchased through TF?

I would like to know the opinions from the authors on this subject as well as any feedback from anyone that may be using some of the themes they purchased to create a child theme.

yes if you use the theme for one website then creating a child theme is okay under the regular license…

but..(theres always a but right?) not all themes here will work properly with child themes because some don’t use the proper coding conventions to allow child themes to function properly/modify functions, so its best to ask the author if the theme will work with child themes :-)

15 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
gmdpickett says

Thank you for the quick response.

Is there anyway to tell other than asking? I have one that I am working with right now and have started a new folder with the @import into a new style.css file and everything still seems to be functioning properly.

Would the site show some errors if there was going to be an issue with a child-theme or could it work for a short time and then start to show errors?

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

Thank you for the quick response.

Is there anyway to tell other than asking? I have one that I am working with right now and have started a new folder with the @import into a new style.css file and everything still seems to be functioning properly.

Would the site show some errors if there was going to be an issue with a child-theme or could it work for a short time and then start to show errors?

not really without directly looking at the code…

if all you need to change is the CSS “most” themes should be fine, its more if you want to modify functions etc…

also be aware some authors use @import in there style.css which can also hinder performance.. little older article but the results are still similar http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2009/04/09/dont-use-import/

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
dsl25 says

I discovered this thread and these limitations with a theme I just purchased. This shouldn’t be allowed here and I consider some minimum requirements should be enabled before selling stuff here.

The theme I’m working with has extremely poor coding, is full of bugs and doesn’t allow child theming. On top of that I didn’t get any support to my related questions since 2-3 days and I wonder if I’ll ever get. Not really keen buying themes around here anymore…

954 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

^ Hey, you should look at this recently opened thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/announcement-wordpress-theme-submission-requirements/102320 Don’t give up on themeforest just yet.

3 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
dsl25 says

Thanks for this update. Will see what will change. In the meantime this was my first purchase here and the first impression is often the right one. Great blabla before paying and nobody there when transaction completes…

I’m left with a buggy theme, a site to finish this coming week and no feedback from support. Looking forward to see whether this theme will ever comply with your new rules!

by
by
by
by
by
by