3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
gnosischocolate says
http://www.gnosischocolate.com

i built my website in squarespace, linked to 1shoppingcart.com, did the graphics all self taught and it shows :stress:

really need a new website – thinking magento community? back end to be fully linked with quickbooks & intuit payment processor & killer inventory management

front end: looking to have fun with this – go all out on social & diff ways to present info – not just products. one idea – a traceability game (ie: follow ingredients from grenada farm thru fermentation, shipping etc. into our kitchen, production date, qty, lot #)

don’t have beaucoup bucks but check out my our background… anyone love chocolate, willing to put significant time in now for some cash and profit sharing points?

568 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

I hate to dampen your enthusiasm or p*e on anyone’s bonfire but thats quite a list (in fact the Magento part in itself is quite a task alone) for someone without “beaucoup bucks” but nevertheless I wish you the best of luck with it and your product – you clearly have the commitment!

3 posts
gnosischocolate says

Thanks Alex -

Yeah I’m working through it… intuit is set up, quickbooks is set up, next is webjility but i know i cant do magento in my wildest dreams. i’m playing around with inventoria, inflow, fishbowl, and unleashed for inventory. It is quite the list, indeed!

re: “Beaucoup bucks,” you’re right, that wasn’t a great phrase to use.

i meant that as a 100% employee owned company i haven’t raised a plush cushion of investor cash to throw around like it’s raining loot.

what it does mean is that i don’t answer to investors or banks, so i have the flexibility to reward handsomely when someone really joins the team and drives the company forward. this project is obviously of huge value and i’d actually love to work with someone who wants to see the site stay poppin’ because they are earning a % of profits long-term rather than just hourly or project-basis.

we may soon have a tv show, so i’d love to get this up before january if possible… if you’re interested at all or care to enlighten me… what might be a fair range +/- a few $K for a great magento site? maybe launch products & skeleton first, then add traceability & info in phases?

3672 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Looking at your current site I think Magento is too heavy for you. Don’t get me wrong its a great tool in the right hands at the right time but with the greatest of respect for now at least you are a start up and Magento is really geared towards heavy duty, mass scale stores.

All the integration of intuit and payment systems aside for now I think you would be better off looking at Wordpress commerce.It is much more manageable, there is vastly more choice at the cheaper end of the market and it is easier to work with and adapt etc. Yes it does not have the level of security that a custom built solution in other commerce platforms has set up correctly using the right payment systems until such time as you begin to threaten Cadburys etc you should be fine. There are also looking forward plugins (I think) that allow Quickbooks etc integration.

In the long term I would advise playing to your strengths and saving where you can. If a WP theme breaks there are a ton of people who can help you fix it. If a Magento site breaks it is going to cost you a lot to get resolved. Overall WP is just more versatile and helps create more of a commerce solution within a website, allowing you to tell the brand’s story better as opposed to a full fledge commerce site. In your current market this ability to sell the brand more than the products will be key.

If you want any more advice etc feel free to email me charlie4282@hotmail.com

568 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AlexFjord says

Charlie is right – WP is more versatile and better suited at this stage of your business.

You will find someone who can help you quite cheaply if not someone who will do it to be involved. A Magento site (integration aside) WITHOUT the design stages you would be looking several – tens of thousands of $ and way up.

Again your site now (needs cutting down in content! ;-) ) but the story you tell is good and amplified through a slightly updated design could be great. I could be wrong but assuming you are not turing over hundreds of thousands a month then my suggestion is focus on a simpler site that as charlie said “tells your story”.

Good luck

3672 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Sites using WP commerce http://www.woothemes.com/2013/07/american-innovation-using-woocommerce/ (and most designs are not as nice as the ones from here!)

3 posts
gnosischocolate says

thanks, guys!

80% of our business is conducted with distributors & retailers like whole foods… i’d love 2014 to bring us back to 35% online as it’s been up till this year when focus was directed at our new distribution in CA and Japan.

honestly at this stage (5th profitable year) i’d think the site should to reflect our position in the marketplace. we’ve matured but i havent updated the site much in years… i’d like a site that is as pioneering as we’re known by the natural foods and fine chocolate industries to be. more than tell the gnosis story, to be a platform for a lifestyle company (sambazon is a great example)

if wordpress has all the functionality we need to bring us then you guys just saved me a LOT of money and i’m grateful!

i like these: http://sambazon.com/ http://www.navitasnaturals.com/ http://www.vosgeschocolate.com/ http://www.askinosie.com/Farmers.aspx
3672 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

Well Sambazon is Wordpress and the others you could easily make something using a WP theme here that stands out way above them. Just to clarify you can still run full commerce through WP by heavy in regards to Magento I mean thousands of products, mass databases etc.

Looking briefly at Sambazon I can see what you mean by platform for lifestyle in which case you definitely need to move towards WP or certain commerce platforms as Magento is amazing for stockpiling products by Far less creative or changeable for more almost bloggy style content like recipes, nutrition and so on.

Its worth noting the Sambazon site stands out in “design” (similar to innocent etc over here)- the others look a bit restricted and out dated. Again WP would make this easier but design is a very different skill set to developing.

I would be quite keen to talk to you about this and find out more about the brand if you are interested.

by
by
by
by
by
by