• Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
daext says

The plugins paragraph here states this:

Functionality not related to the customisation of visual aspects of a theme must be added via plugins as much as possible. For example: Allowed in theme: Theme options frameworks Page builders Must be in plugin: Custom Post Types Shortcodes Themes may not create custom database tables. If a custom database table is absolutely necessary for some certain functionality, it should be implemented in the plugin that provides the functionality. Ideally, using WordPress’ built-in data structure would be preferable.

Let’s say i have a “recipies” template ( single-recipies.php ) in the theme for the “recipies” custom post type, do i have to create a plugin that registers custom post type, related taxonomies and custom fields?

1 post
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
eggplantstudios says

I would like clarification on this as well, thanks!

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
ChillThemes says

Yes, you should put custom post types in a plugin, makes it easier to maintain.

367 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Europe
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
pixelgrade says

Yep. That is exactly what you should do. All things functional in plugins, all visuals, including frontend, in theme.

193 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Europe
ikaruna says

As I understand, the purpose of placing portfolio CPTs to a plugin is that the buyer will be able to use the existing portfolio when he/she switches themes without having to re-create it’s portfolio. In order to achieve that an author must create the plugin to work with default WP themes as well (this makes sense to me). I get this, buyers will be more open on the idea of switching themes, therefore they will buy more.

However, the theme that I’m currently working at has a portfolio with some special features (full width/heigh, animations that depend on that…), switching to another theme will most certainly crash the the portfolio.

The second concern is: in order my portfolio plugin to work properly with other themes, it will have to register/load the same fonts as the theme does .

My real question is: If we move portfolio (CPT) to a plugin, is this plugin required to work well with other themes? I believe the answer would be “yes” since I can’t make any sense of it otherwise.

Cheers!

by
by
by
by
by
by