2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

I think including Font Awesome shouldn’t be a problem?

http://fortawesome.github.com/Font-Awesome/

It’s licensed CC by 3.0 and you are free to share (copy & distribute) and remix as long as you attribute. I guess it’s enough to attribute in item description and documentation.

Please note this is currently not a license type question – obviously you should only ever use fonts / icons that have the correct license (for commercial use / with distribution) – currently Envato are stating that regardless of the license you can’t do it – i.e. they are trumping the official license and creating a “house rule”.. this is what we are attempting to get clarified.

Jonathan

5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
drizzlingguy says

+1

274 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
pebas says

...they are trumping the official license and creating a “house rule”.. this is what we are attempting to get clarified.

Agree, interesting anyway to hear reasons why, but look for clarification at least.

320 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+4 more
SuggeElson says

I hope this end soon i wait over a month and envato no decide anything yet

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says

I just got a pretty simple, straight forward response from Envato support on the ticket I opened this weekend on this topic essentially just saying no to inclusion of FontAwesome, which is about as open-source, clearly licensed, and well-known as an icon-font could be. So, I’d imagine that doesn’t look positive towards the topic as a whole.

274 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
pebas says

^ Anyway there is and will be plenty of other webistes which will provide icon fonts and regular fonts in the future. Interesting that is not allowed also to use icon fonts where authors have this note:

“Note: Avoid hot-linking and upload font files to your own server. Or we replace them with Webdings.”

(Web Symbols – Just Be Nice Studio)

For me Envato ‘house rule’ about fonts is nonsense in this and in similar cases but…

All fonts we included in our themes (for example) will be hosted on envato servers which is good starting point for Envato legal problems. To avoid any problem in that area, simple, they created ‘house rule’ to all reviewers and support staff to reject all font including because they do not wanna play around with reviewers accidental mistakes with font license etc.

And I share opinion that this kind of ‘house rule’ will stay active long time.

I expect in the future at least some Envato list of fonts, font websites etc. we can use… @sevenspark already suggest that.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hi everyone,

As has already been mentioned, this is a policy that has been in discussion and involves the way we handle asset usage in items. We are in the process of drafting an official policy covering fonts used as assets in items and will post an official announcement once it’s complete. Until I was able to meet with the necessary people to discuss this topic, I asked the Review Team not to allow fonts in items as a temporary measure.

After having discussed this with the necessary people, you may treat fonts as you would other assets in items — that is, they must be properly licensed for how you’re using them in your items. In addition to this, please make sure you’re only using assets from trusted and reliable sources. If you use asset(s) from site(s) distributing assets illegally or with incorrect attached licenses, you are still liable.

Thanks everyone!

3447 posts
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

After having discussed this with the necessary people, you may treat fonts as you would other assets in items — that is, they must be properly licensed for how you’re using them in your items.

Awesome! Thanks for the update, Jarel! :)

82 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
mikemcalister says

clap

2276 posts Bird is the word..