2075 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Thanks for all your great feedback on the new licenses. Based on some common questions, we’ve written a clarification post: http://notes.envato.com/news/marketplace-license-update-clarifications/

1291 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says

Thanks, I finally understand them.

7656 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

We’ve started on the next phase by launching an author survey on licensing options.

Is the survey that kicked me out when I’ve answered “I’m not a themeforest author”? Because if is that the survey then we surely are on the right track. :|

674 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

Licenses are a pain for me to grasp unless explained to me in simple terms. That’s why I make sure all my work is original and self-made. :)

This is also the prime reason why I haven’t bought any items yet. That way, I don’t run into trouble because of an accidental/unintentional/absent-minded misuse of a license and have a few men in black suits knocking at my door. :D

An exaggeration of course, but I would much prefer to use as much of my own work in my projects as I can, with help from people I know and trust.

Btw, 200th post, yay!

1040 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
Pixelworkshop says

That’s not new but I’d like to see the possibility to enable/disable the extended license separately for each item. And why not with an option to allow other authors to use these selected items in other stock products.

41 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
nokiko says

Ok how about this usage

I buy a jquery module extended license. I now use the full script unmodified and just create a backend for it so that the slide can be used and maintained in a Joomla, Drupal DotNetNuke or similar portal system

Is this allowed or not because I have seen a few around but if I read your license explanation

You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial modifications.

it seems this is NOT allowed am I correct?

2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

Ok how about this usage

I buy a jquery module extended license. I now use the full script unmodified and just create a backend for it so that the slide can be used and maintained in a Joomla, Drupal DotNetNuke or similar portal system

Is this allowed or not because I have seen a few around but if I read your license explanation

You can’t re-distribute the Item as stock, in a tool or template, or with source files. You can’t do this with an Item either on its own or bundled with other items, and even if you modify the Item. You can’t re-distribute or make available the Item as-is or with superficial modifications. it seems this is NOT allowed am I correct?
Correct.
4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in United States
jennmattern says

I’m having issues regarding WP multi-site functionality and your themes.

I understand the old license language (as numerous people have quoted elsewhere on the site) used WPMU as an example requiring extended licenses. However, that language also specifically used WPMU as an example of a “service.” That implies you’re letting other people use the template through your blog network. That’s not my situation.

My company is developing a site and we want to use the multi-user functionality solely as a form of navigation. Top level categories would be set up through virtual subdomains for navigation and SEO purposes (they’re all in the same overall niche—writing and publishing, so it’s not a big multi-topic network). This is simply being used as an alternative to the folder-style setup that would normally occur with categories on the highest level.

- It is one site. - It is on one domain. - It is one Wordpress installation (with virtual subdomains for top-level categories). - It has one brand / logo. - It will use a single customized version of the theme sitewide. - It has only one administrator. - No other users will be allowed to set up blogs through multi-site.

Yet I can find no clear answer relating to this situation—only answers regarding people setting up a network using multi-site. In that case they say subdomains are separate. But I can’t find a reference to anything but “multi-domain” (which is very different than this use) on your license page.

I contacted the developer of the theme we purchased and planned to use, and even he isn’t completely clear about your licenses (which I thought was supposed to be addressed with the new language).

So what is it? Can we use the regular license as it’s a single site / brand / administrator? Would it require an extended license simply because we’re using a tool built into our platform for a different navigation structure? Or are you going to treat categories as separate sites and require separate licenses for all of them? If categories are going to be treated as separate sites because TF doesn’t differentiate between a single site using a tool and a blog network distributing themes for multiple users, then we’ll have to look elsewhere (especially since this site has a history of removing themes we’ve purchased—so there’s no reliability for later scalability through new licenses if we need new top-level categories later).

Can I please get some official clarification on this? (And it would be wonderful if the FAQs have some clear info added about multi-site. There are countless questions on this site about it over the years and too many different answers to make any sense—as evidenced by the fact that even some developers aren’t sure what to tell their buyers.)

Thank you very much. I just don’t want us wasting time on further customizations if we can’t use your themes in this way.

2075 posts
+7 more
LanceSnider says

No, a single regular license is fine based on what you wrote. The reason: ” It is one site. – It is on one domain. – It is one Wordpress installation.”

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in United States
jennmattern says

Thanks Lance. I just know in the past I’d seen threads saying that using subdomains in any way meant TF considered them separate sites, and I hadn’t seen anything to clarify this particular kind of situation in the new license language. I appreciate you resolving the issue. :)

by
by
by
by
by
by