160 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
alanpolhoatzin says

Hi Everyone!,

What is the worst problem you have had to face with your clients??

Share your experiences.

Greetings

Alan Monroig

988 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says

The statement of “I need a very professional and advanced social networking website created. It must have the following features: user accounts, user admin area, administrator admin area, ad spots, social networking, albums, photo galleries, video network, music network, classifieds, personal blogs, forums…etc. The site interface must be very creative and unique. I also need custom logo designed and provided in multiple file formats. Create full corporate stationery along with 20 pages brochure in print ready file format. This is an easy job for someone who know what he is doing!!! I would do this by myself in a few hours, but dont have the time as i am busy person. My budget is $100, but i will pay $10 bonus for TOP work. You must instal the fully working site on my server, i will test it and pay you only once the site is ready to go and bugs free.”

I love clients of that nature :-)

5389 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
CodingJack says

The worst clients are the ones who want to control every detail of the creative process. I liken this to hiring a plumber and then telling him how to do his job. Most likely the plumber has some pretty good ideas as to how to get the job done and by me interfering with every detail I’m likely to end up with a broken toilet.

214 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Pandemic says

The clients that can never seem to produce content for their websites are the worst. They stretch the product out for months.

160 posts
+6 more
alanpolhoatzin says
The statement of “I need a very professional and advanced social networking website created. It must have the following features: user accounts, user admin area, administrator admin area, ad spots, social networking, albums, photo galleries, video network, music network, classifieds, personal blogs, forums…etc. The site interface must be very creative and unique. I also need custom logo designed and provided in multiple file formats. Create full corporate stationery along with 20 pages brochure in print ready file format. This is an easy job for someone who know what he is doing!!! I would do this by myself in a few hours, but dont have the time as i am busy person. My budget is $100, but i will pay $10 bonus for TOP work. You must instal the fully working site on my server, i will test it and pay you only once the site is ready to go and bugs free.” I love clients of that nature :-)

OMG :D

1148 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

I had a client who wanted what should have been a user-generated content site, but he was such a control freak he wanted a special area in the CMS where he could create fictitious accounts and post all of the content himself. He also insisted on meeting in person every week and the only feedback we got during these meetings was “this input is off by a few pixels in IE7 ” when we were really supposed to be getting the broad strokes like “where is all of the content supposed to come from!”

2541 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+9 more
CreatingDrew says

“Hey I need a website with this feature and this feature, oh and this feature. I need it pretty quickly and hear you’re the guy. I can’t really pay much but I’m sure you agree this is a great idea and we can discuss trading services or profit later. You can even put your link on my site, think about all the exposure you will get!”

Not really clients as I don’t ever work with these people, but I hear this all the time. :|

417 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
Sharky says

Clients who don’t know what they want.

One time, I had a client work over me for 8 hours, all day. It was a job I could do in less than an hour if he had told me what he wanted.

Give us examples. Go to youtube, motionographer, show me a dvd of a movie title or a music clip or even a crappy image on Google or something. Don’t sit there and ask me to work until my work rings a bell, it’s a waste of time and money for you.

Also another guy contacted me for work without pay. Initially I outlined that I don’t work for free. He promised me income after this project. That’s cool for me usually with trusted clients or close mates.

But he wasn’t credible. I didn’t know where he lived, or if he could even pay. So I declined. However he insisted that this was his ‘final offer’. I still said no.

I had to laugh at that though :)

988 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+4 more
thomas07 says
OMG :D

yeah…actually, in most cases the list of features grows once a designer/developer bite on such gigs and this is almost a common practice under “smart-a$$ buyers”. Such clients will show their project as “this is so simple job” in order to get you agree and then will drive you mad with their additional requests like: add store where i can sell t-shirts, add exchange platform, add buy-sell-trade function, allow user accounts to upload their own t-shirts for sale, add paypal and 2CO etc.

Such clients wont hasitate also to offer you more jobs in future…”I have more similar projects coming up and if you do good job, i will assign thos projects to you and will recommend you to my friends”

WTF …more work for burger money?...no thanks!

...probably you will end up with telling the buyer kindly to GTFOH :)

Unfortunely, we have designers and developers taking up such gigs and i strongly believe they under cut our profession. $30 can be huge money else where, but in my country you can get only a lunch for that.

723 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
BigZ says

Not really a problem but pretty funny:

Message: “I building a flash website. How much you cost that?”

by
by
by