2114 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
fifty_tons says
I am an angry person. I get angry really really fast. I mean really, almost anything can make me angry. Although over the years I’ve learned how to control my anger and agression, because I’m an extemely peaceful guy at heart, I would have probably managed to find this person’s IP, buy a plane ticket and go to his home just to kick his ass :). And then I would get back home and post everything on the forum :D. edit: I would also pay him 100 bucks, plus 10 bucks bonus for the trouble :)

LOL …i feel the same many times. I am service provider on one freelancers site that has 1 mill + users. This freelancing site have a “top 50 service providers” section where they show the 50 top rated service providers and most past positive customer feedbacks. I somehow entered that list 2-3 years ago, so this was an great achievement for me and my future business on that site. Buyers can post gigs on there, and service providers place bids on thos projects. On that site, there is option to PM (private message) the buyer and buyer can also PM you if interested with your bid to discuss some details of the project and make sure you understand their requirements.

There are some very interesting sort of buyers on that site…i many times find myself in conversations that read something like this::

client message: “WOW, i am impressed with your past experiences on here and you have very good feedbacks. I take a moment to check your portfolio and i must say, you have some amazing stuff…this is why i believe you the right person for my project. I have many projects and i am looking for a long business relation, thought i will make you an offer now that you cant say NO to. Here is the deal, do my first project for free and this way prove me your skills, and i then award you all of my future projects to you. Let me know what do you think.”

me, answer: “Thanks for your compliments, glad you like my work. Unfortunely, i do not offer my work for free in order to prove something to my clietns as i already have ton of proves here. Please read again the 300+ customer feedbacks i already have, this schould be good enough prove of what i can do. Out of this i have an online portfolio where you can see a lot of projects i have enjoyed to work on…this is the reason we designers publish our portfolios, for you to see what we have done in the past and give you some idea of our skills. If you feel i am really the right person for your project and really serious about building a long business relation, i may give you 5% discount on the first project.”

client reply: “No thanks…i need to see and make sure you can do my project first. Also there is another provider placed bid on my project that agree to my offer to do the first project for free and all other upcoming jobs for the half of what you charge. Actually i dont think you are a good designer and your work and portfolio really sucks. Good luck looser…HAHAHA.”

I cant understand what customers have in mind when they come to such platforms to hire freelancers. I assume they think “freelance” translates to “free work”. Such conversations really makes me angry and i so hard want to kick a few butt’s :-) But more annoying than such messages is the fact of how cheap some designers are and how they undercut our profession. Such designers deserves an ass kick as well :D

:D. That’s just crazy man…

I remember way back, when my actionscript knowledge was less than 0, I was trying to get a job as a flash designer/animator at a spanish company. They asked if I was ok with taking a test to see if I’m fit for the job. I said sure. And they showed me the test. I was supposed to build 3 websites :D :D :D. Can you believe that?

29 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Located in Canada
+1 more
mayurj says
The clients that can never seem to produce content for their websites are the worst. They stretch the product out for months.

Ya, that’s a frickin pain in the anus!

92 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
webtako says

Not so much a nightmare, but I replied to a activeden post about a freelance job that looks a lot like one of my existing activeden file that sold for $8 but still needed quite a bit of modifications to match his needs. He emailed back me stating how much he’ll pay for the freelance job ($50) and how quick I should finish the modifications. So now I know he’s a cheap and unreasonable person, then I pretty much said no thanks to the job and then he insisted on giving him my $8 file for free to him to “evaluate it”.

The funny thing is that the guy is a really top seller on activeden but was posting under another account alias on activeden, but when he sent me his email, he sent it thru his top seller uersname. I guess he didn’t want to ruin his street cred. on activeden forum asking for help. So I’m thinking you’re a developer yourself, you should understand how much one’s time is worth and at the very least buy the stock file for $8 if you have a use for it instead of trying to get a file for free.

29 posts
  • Located in Canada
+1 more
mayurj says

Ahh… I just love this community. Envato rocks! I got inspired and decided to slap together a quick post titled “How to make it as a Freelancer”. Please join the conversation :)

http://videohive.net/forums/thread/making-it-as-a-freelancer/18823

988 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
thomas07 says
Ahh… I just love this community. Envato rocks! I got inspired and decided to slap together a quick post titled “How to make it as a Freelancer”. Please join the conversation :)

http://videohive.net/forums/thread/making-it-as-a-freelancer/18823

checked….good shit, you schould really write for the community at http://freelanceswitch.com/blog/explore ...there they offer also this http://freelanceswitch.com/blog/contribute

412 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
patrickjansen says

Dealing with clients is as old as the road to Rome. I re-searched and found these dusted articles which I identified years ago with myself
http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/000459.php
http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/000457.php
http://www.digitalsurvivors.com/archives/000428.php

Especially the first will remain eternally relevant

Different customer experience: One of my old customers used to hire me for freelance for his customers websites (he was owner of a ISP ) and ask a quote. Whenever I said “well, I estimate about 500$” he’d say “no sweat, I’ll give you 700 since I charged him 800 myself”. Those you’ll encounter every now and then as well. And even support-cases where customers insist to pay for certain support even though I hadn’t asked for any at all.

by
by
by
by
by
by