• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

Hi, I’m writing because I studied the source code of some free files since a few months ago and looked at the source of some html/js files and was amazed of the result so I want to ask Envato, the authors, reviewers and even the clients, why? the design standards are so high still crapy code is accepted. what do I mean about crappy code?

First, WordPress

Themes are not fully compatible with WordPress. I can tell even by viewing the html of any recent preview. Scripts and styles are not being registered properly, theme directory url paths are not retrieved properly, third party scripts are added when wordpress functionality does exactly the same thing and core theme functions are either deprecated or not added properly. There are plugins, free plugins to test the compatibility and functionality of your theme. why are reviewers accepting such crappy code?

HTML templates

Did anyone care to look at the number of javascript files included in some of the major approved themes? did anyone check the javascript code if it is well written/for performance/how organized it is? because some of it is very badly written and relies on tons of already made stuff that are just used in the simplest way possible. I don’t want to mention compatibility and flexibility because it’s a delicate idea. But still, what are the reviewers looking at? design, html&CSS validation and if the menus are ul li ? I obviously don’t know the coding standards theme forest uses but from what I can see they are accepting, they are not nearly as high as half of the design standards.

Thoughts? Am I wrong? please expand :)

7207 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

Don’t know if is a bad thing, but if the item looks great the reviewer may close an eye on how the code is organized and if the item is not broken, he will approved it.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

Don’t know if is a bad thing, but if the item looks great the reviewer may close an eye on how the code is organized and if the item is not broken, he will approved it.

Well sir, if you are thinking like that, that said a lot about you as a person, as you as a coder and how you build your products and make decisions.

10 posts
BroMontana says

@CiprianTurcu, I have only seen you complaining about having your items being rejected, If you know so much about coding, why don’t you set the standards on Themeforest?
The reviewers know exactly what they’re doing, There are a few items where the design is stronger than the coding or the coding overtakes the design, but it’s still a well maintained standard to sell here.
Maybe you should purchase some premium items instead of trying to “find inspiration” or judge on Themeforest’s free items. Come on man.

169 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
mikedidthis says

Well sir, if you are thinking like that, that said a lot about you as a person, as you as a coder and how you build your products and make decisions.

That doesn’t say anything about doru at all. It was merely a hypothesis as to what a review may think.

The problem with code, as I see it, is there is no defined right or wrong way to do something.

We could all code the same concept, and we would all probably do it different. Each of us would have our reasons for the path we choose to code it.

I am not excusing bad code at all. There is an underlining base standard we should all comply to. Well designed and coded themes sell well. Those that aren’t, don’t.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

@CiprianTurcu, I have only seen you complaining about having your items being rejected, If you know so much about coding, why don’t you set the standards on Themeforest?
The reviewers know exactly what they’re doing, There are a few items where the design is stronger than the coding or the coding overtakes the design, but it’s still a well maintained standard to sell here.
Maybe you should purchase some premium items instead of trying to “find inspiration” or judge on Themeforest’s free items. Come on man.

I never, EVER , complained about having my items rejected. Ever. You don’t seem to be know what you are talking about.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says
That doesn’t say anything about doru at all. It was merely a hypothesis as to what a review may think.

The problem with code, as I see it, is there is no defined right or wrong way to do something.

We could all code the same concept, and we would all probably do it different. Each of us would have our reasons for the path we choose to code it.

I am not excusing bad code at all. There is an underlining base standard we should all comply to. Well designed and coded themes sell well. Those that aren’t, don’t.

Because he thinks that incompatibility, cluttered code and bad coding is not a bad thing, yes it does say something about doru, the fact that he thinks that way is a pointer to how he thinks when building his own products and how he makes his decisions. Not trying to hate on the man, it’s just an observation based on his response ;)

7207 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

You said the code is not great on themeforest items, you asked why, I give you an answer. Then you apply that answer to me. Not funny. If I show you the reality this doesn’t mean I like how it is.

I do not upload themes to themeforest and I don’t approve them, but I know that a big part of the buyers purchase something that looks great and they don’t care about code. Who cares about code is a smaller percentage of people who actually know how professional code should look. The big majority have no idea of what good code is, and they don’t care, as long the theme work.

Anyway I’m deeply offended about your reply, I build my products at the best of my abilities and I make sure the buyers get a great product, well organized and fully functioning. I never had complains for my items.

187 posts
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
CleanScript says

You said the code is not great on themeforest items, you asked why, I give you an answer. Then you apply that answer to me. Not funny. If I show you the reality this doesn’t mean I like how it is.

I do not upload themes to themeforest and I don’t approve them, but I know that a big part of the buyers purchase something that looks great and they don’t care about code. Who cares about code is a smaller percentage of people who actually know how professional code should look. The big majority have no idea of what good code is, and they don’t care, as long the theme work.

Anyway I’m deeply offended about your reply, I build my products at the best of my abilities and I make sure the buyers get a great product, well organized and fully functioning. I never had complain for my items.

Hi Doru, Again, was not trying to offend you in any way, I’m sorry if I did. I was just giving you feedback on your reply as I quickly explained above. giving an “ok!” to crappy code is not “ok”. I hope you comply with this at the end. Customers can’t possibly be happy if their products are not compatible with wordpress or have scripts that “kill” some PC’s when loading or are not even near to any optimization attempt for better loading/running.

I have to say, there are some items that actually have these standards and work awesome in every way. What I’m complaining about is the constant acceptance of crappy items.

10 posts
BroMontana says

@CiprianTurcu, post a link to your personal portfolio that we can have a look at your coding please. :smug:

by
by
by
by
by
by