• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

I got my answer and the last comments are so fascinating that they are too much for me, so, on the hope to not waste any more time:

Thanks to everyone that pitched in this thread with great debates, ideas and answers!

186 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • United States
ThemeBuddies says

I think that it is also important to realize that some of these files here might be three years old or older. As the standards have increased, the files have not all been removed. Some have been updated but as time goes on, the coding as well as the designing will get better. I think it would be great if everyone could code at a master level, but this just isn’t going to happen. As long as the code works and doesn’t break things, that is all that should matter.

I do remember the rules changing here a while back saying that jquery or javascript files needed to work even if javascript was disabled on a persons machine. This was for all the Vcards and little sites that worked heavily on jquery to change pages.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

A very useful thread to have around!

+1 to @Ivor’s and @ThemeBuddies’ posts too.

@Ciprian, I’m glad the question came up and was answered, but it might be better to actually phrase it as a question next time so you get your answer quicker and fewer people annoyed ;)

I work with 3rd parties to help get our coding standards improved, and obviously over at Wptuts+ we’re trying to help educate people on coding standards.

In fact, my very first post on Wptuts+ was some quick guidelines for theme authors to help ensure they were producing quality code ( http://wp.tutsplus.com/articles/quick-tip-guidelines-for-improving-wordpress-themes/ )

Thanks for all your input everyone.

187 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Romania
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
CleanScript says

A very useful thread to have around!

+1 to @Ivor’s and @ThemeBuddies’ posts too.

@Ciprian, I’m glad the question came up and was answered, but it might be better to actually phrase it as a question next time so you get your answer quicker and fewer people annoyed ;)

I work with 3rd parties to help get our coding standards improved, and obviously over at Wptuts+ we’re trying to help educate people on coding standards.

In fact, my very first post on Wptuts+ was some quick guidelines for theme authors to help ensure they were producing quality code ( http://wp.tutsplus.com/articles/quick-tip-guidelines-for-improving-wordpress-themes/ )

Thanks for all your input everyone.

I know, I know, bad wording on my original post. I’ve learned a lot from this thread and you won’t hear anything like this from me again. (Well, not so badly written at least).

Thanks Japh!

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
+3 more
pixelentity says

That said, Themes and Templates are rigorously tested. Just to give you an example, themes are tested with:
  • WP_DEBUG enabled.
  • Theme Check
  • Debogger
  • Log Deprecated Notices
  • We check if themes are enqueueing stylesheets and JavaScript properly.
Just a question about theme check, we get a bunch of warnings about using “file_get_contents” ....

would reviewers really enforce the above rule ? we have valid reasons to read a file in our theme folder like many other well known plugins. For instance, wordpress importer gets 3 warnings for using file_get_contents/fopen/fclose.

Giving reasons in the message to reviewer box would be enough ?

BF

814 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

That said, Themes and Templates are rigorously tested. Just to give you an example, themes are tested with:
  • WP_DEBUG enabled.
  • Theme Check
  • Debogger
  • Log Deprecated Notices
Just a question about theme check, we get a bunch of warnings about using “file_get_contents” ....

would reviewers really enforce the above rule ? we have valid reasons to read a file in our theme folder like many other well known plugins. For instance, wordpress importer gets 3 warnings for using file_get_contents/fopen/fclose.

BF

Theme check is a joke, I don’t understand how can one rely on it’s findings.

For example:

WARNING: Found wrong tag, remove responsive from your style.css header.

and that’s a keyword of the theme description.

WARNING: Found base64_encode in the file rv_OptionsIO.class.php. base64_encode() is not allowed. 

Why it is not allowed? Who said so? :)

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

• WP_DEBUG enabled.
  • Theme Check
  • Debogger
  • Log Deprecated Notices

BF

Theme check is a joke, I don’t understand how can one rely on it’s findings.

For example:

WARNING: Found wrong tag, remove responsive from your style.css header.

and that’s a keyword of the theme description.

WARNING: Found base64_encode in the file rv_OptionsIO.class.php. base64_encode() is not allowed. 
Why it is not allowed? Who said so? :)

Tag error is related to tags used to describe theme – if that theme goes to official free WordPress theme directory it shoudn’t have tags that don’t exists there – however I don’t know where to find official lists of tags – it’s strange “feature”, but not required on ThemeForest

And for base64_encode() warning – it’s also not allowed for WordPress themes directory – it’s the easiest way to put some malicious code in theme. It shoudn’t be allowed in ThemeForest also.

814 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
rvision_ says

Tag error is related to tags used to describe theme – if that theme goes to official free WordPress theme directory it shoudn’t have tags that don’t exists there – however I don’t know where to find official lists of tags – it’s strange “feature”, but not required on ThemeForest

So there is no official list of tags one can use as a reference and this is considered as error? :)

And for base64_encode() warning – it’s also not allowed for WordPress themes directory – it’s the easiest way to put some malicious code in theme. It shoudn’t be allowed in ThemeForest also.

Really? :) As far as I know, there are no artificial intelligence bits of code in theme-check plugin, therefore there is no way it can see the purpose of the base64_encode call in my code. FYI : Option tree plugin is also using this for import/export of options.

983 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

So there is no official list of tags one can use as a reference and this is considered as error? :)

Really? :) As far as I know, there are no artificial intelligence bits of code in theme-check plugin, therefore there is no way it can see the purpose of the base64_encode call in my code. FYI : Option tree plugin is also using this for import/export of options.

It’s not error – it’s just warning ;)

base64_encode is also used in many places in WordPress core – I’m aware of that – probably if some TF author would put malicious code in his themes using this function he would be banned quickly – but that’s another story in WordPress free themes directory – and theme check was created for guys who accept themes there, not here. TF reviewers just use this because it tells a lot about how theme was build.

15 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
themebakers says

Complete list of tags required for submitting a theme to WordPress directory can be found at http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/about/

Some of the errors, warnings etc. can be ignored because the Theme Check plugin is outdated and as well as some of rules don’t apply to themes which you are not going to upload to WordPress themes directory e.g. the tags in style.css.

by
by
by
by
by
by