121 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
rabidflash says

Hi, I’ve recently bought an item from codecanyon.this is basically a html 5 and jQuery plugin.when I’ve downloaded the source files it contain only minified files.isn’t it compulsory for all codecanyon items to have uncompressed source files too? The author says that they’ve to protect the source ands that they can’t give the uncommitted files.is this in accordance with the policies?

Thanks

1257 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says

As far as I remember you must not encode the scripts you are selling, they must be visible, but compressed I think they are allowed since it’s html and js it doesn’t matter, you get the real code anyway, it’s just ‘compressed’, you can beautify them using the online tools that Google gives you as a result, so my answer guess is that they aren’t forced.

Compressed: the same thing as uncompressed, only that comments, some spaces, some uppercases, etc. are striped away.

All the best,

Alexandru P.

3020 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

If you find it’s unusable then send a nice email to the seller asking for the correct source code, if that doesn’t work out then send in a support ticket and they can review the file.

IMHO the full item code should be provided, not just a minified/compressed-only format. Minified js with all those meaningless variables and stripped comments makes more difficult that necessary for a buyer to make changes to the script.

Best of luck!

168 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Australia
+2 more
michaeldale says

+1 to what dtbaker said. You should get the full source code with comments.

121 posts
+2 more
rabidflash says

thanks dtbaker for the reply.that’s exactly what I’ve thought too.but the thing is this items is by an elite author and they explicitly told me that they are not going to supply the uncompressed source as they want want to protect it.I’ve contacted them again. If they still don’t give the full source I’ll contact the envato support

5461 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

@ dave , “send an email to the seller

3020 posts
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Won a competition
+16 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

@ dave , “send an email to the seller

blame the scotch

1257 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+8 more
Pricop says

And how about if the author doesn’t uses comments ? You get the “full source code” anyway, as I said earlier -> beautify js and that’s it, you got the author’s version.

121 posts
+2 more
rabidflash says

And how about if the author doesn’t uses comments ? You get the “full source code” anyway, as I said earlier -> beautify js and that’s it, you got the author’s version.

I remember while developing for activeden, it was compulsory to add comments, make meaningful variables and all those other things. If you don’t follow standards, your items used to get rejected. Infact, even on CC, my first item was soft rejected for not following some jQuery coding standards. We all know that we can use beautify JS to reveal the code which is the reason why I think it’s silly to compress/ minify the code.

607 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Yes, the unminified source should have been provided. Please open a support ticket to discuss this issue and please PM me the file in the meantime so I can figure out what’s going on.

by
by
by
by
by
by