• Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

Is anyone else becoming annoyed with this?

When I first started making items I was making the download packages so that the user would have to unzip and read the documentation and either zip the plugin contents themselves or FTP the plugin to their site.

Obviously this was not ideal so I started packaging the documentation inside the plugin and linking to it from the plugin admin page. This has been working great until these new prefixes came along. Users are uploading the long name zips to their sites creating horrible directory structures such as:

site.com/wp-content/plugins/codecanyon-543758423-this-is-the-items-title-now/

Granted as long as you use correct wordpress hooks for your directories it should not matter but it looks like crap and is confusing some of the buyers when they go to install plugins. I get about 10-20 more tickets a week now of people asking what to do with the file they downloaded from CodeCanyon where they would usually just assume to upload it to WordPress.

I think there needs to finally be a required packaging method kind of like WordPress themes on TF. For instance if the long file names are causing the confusion add a message to the download page that users should unzip first and read the install instructions. Or make it like TF where you use the WordPress plugin bundle format as a requirement when uploading and state on the download page that WordPress plugins are ready to upload from the WordPress admin panel.

Either way clarification in this area for buyers would cut down on a lot of unneeded support tickets for WordPress plugins.

2957 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

I always zip up my plugin folder and put that inside the main download zip file.

To install the plugin, users unzip the download file to their desktop. They will see a README file and the plugin.zip file. The README file explains the user has to upload the plugin.zip file to their wordpress.

If they try to upload the main download file to wordpress it will simply not work. By having the two zip files like this you can control the plugin folder name.

Having the documentation within the wordpress interface itself is a great idea. All authors should do this.

Hope that helps!

Dave

725 posts WordPress Ninja
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
TylerQuinn says

This is what I was doing before the prefixes were added and users complained. :( I guess its the lesser of two evils.

Let me ask this, if the user uploads the zip like this and the files are extracted are they left on the server? Then there would be a hosted copy of the .zip file containing the plugin inside that folder.

by
by
by
by
by
by