We want you all to co-design with us on a new feature we’re working on. This highly anticipated feature has been designed in complete secrecy for a few weeks now. It’s your chance to contribute ideas, but please be constructive in your feedback and when sharing ideas please stay on topic. We’re not trying to fix every pain point on Envato Marketplaces at once. We’ll get to all those other things but not in this project.
So what’s this secret project we’re working on?
Declassifying ‘Operation Faceted Search’Early efforts were made at introducing faceted search to the marketplaces, but the project never saw the light of day other than an inspiring design which was posted in a forum thread: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/new-search-preview/54397?page=1
So what’s faceted search? It’s fancy search-world lingo meaning being able to filter search results pages. The ability to filter by price, ratings, or sales range when searching etc. We’re confident that by introducing this feature buyers will find it much easier to quickly find the right item they’re after and for authors it means your items will be easier to pinpoint, which will hopefully result in more buyers finding your items.
Massive thanks to John Thompson FastNoc, Misel Delic miseld, Steve Fanouillet sfxstudio, Xaver Birsak Revaxarts and Nick Pavlovits glutenfree4u who have been privately collaborating with us for a number of weeks now and who have given fantastic contributions to the project so far.
How we’re going to be co-designingCurrently we are using Trello to discuss ideas and get feedback. We have tried a number of different tools and through trial and error we settled on Trello, and it has worked phenomenally.
We have prepared some publicly accessible Trello boards that any one of you can access and even contribute to if you sign up for a free Trello account.
We’ve enabled voting on each of the cards so if you see an idea that you like, you’ll be able to vote for it! More on this below.
The success of this way of working depends on both the community and EnvatoThis is a brand new way of working for us. To help us succeed at this we want to be completely open and honest about what our motivations are by inviting you to co-design with us.
What this is about
- Sharing ideas and gathering insight.
- Transparency. You’ve been demanding it for a while, and rightly so.
- Giving our community a voice. We’re really opening ourselves up here and it’s not just to appear more transparent but because we really want to hear what you have to say. We’re giving you a lot of power here. Please use it wisely. As discussed below don’t expect us to implement every idea but know that we will listen and carefully consider your feedback.
What this is not about
- Design-by-committee. There’s an old saying “a camel is a horse designed by a committee”. By giving everyone a voice and the ability to vote on ideas in Trello, it doesn’t mean that we will implement everyone’s ideas or the one’s with the highest votes. However, we promise to seriously consider everyone’s idea, especially those that are presented with a sound argument about why it should be implemented and what problem it is solving.
- A place to post general feedback. We know that a lot of you have a massive list of things you’d like to see fixed tomorrow, and we’d love to be able to do that. Unfortunately that’s just not realistic. For this reason we will be moderating any off-topic discussion on the boards and forum.
- “My sales have dropped” feedback. We’re sorry when we hear that an author has experienced a decrease in sales. If you’re making a living of your items this can be dramatic and I can only imagine the stress this might cause you. Please understand that this project has nothing to do with search algorithms or how high your items appear on the results pages.
Don’t get your hopes up too highOur plan is to design the best possible faceted search experience. Once we start building the feature, we will come across technical and time challenges, so please don’t expect to see everything we design to be implemented from the first go. It takes little time to sketch an idea, but it takes a lot more time to implement it. We’re dreaming big with our design but once we begin implementing we will start small and iterate. It will take a lot of iterations before we get there but we’re moving towards our goal and we’re doing it together with complete transparency.
How do I get involved?With all those caveats out of the way let’s get ready to rumble!
- Vote and comment on the inspiration you like! https://trello.com/b/hadAS1Ix/inspiration Take a look at what inspiration we’ve found so far and vote inside each card for what you like most.
- Facet suggestions https://trello.com/b/rT2K14k2/suggestions What facets would you like to see on each marketplace? Comment on the suggestions that are already there.
- Page-level wireframes https://trello.com/b/ZIna5Mqc/page-level-wireframes these wireframes don’t look at each individual facet. Instead they answer the question “where will all the facets sit on the page and how will the user interact with them across different devices?”
- Global facets https://trello.com/b/jclTlLf7/global-facet-wireframes this is the design of the facets that will appear on all marketplaces
Have a suggestion you’d like to add to the Trello board? Unfortunately you can’t do that until we invite you. That’s just how Trello is set up. We have to manually invite you to enable you to add suggestions. So add your Trello username as a comment on this post and I’ll add you to the board so you can add cards as well as vote and comment.
We’re really excited about collaborating together and can’t wait to read your thoughts
I cannot believe that this is really happening!!
Nice… Very nice!
Hmm, interesting… like the Idea of cooperation.
This is a great move. Thank you!
What has been the problem in the last two years and what has changed now?
Initial idea looked very good, still today. So why didn’t it see the daylight.
Please invite me, my username is Creattive
Am I dreaming?? Thanks Envato for finally being transparent and open to us. It was about time though
What has been the problem in the last two years and what has changed now?Initial idea looked very good, still today. So why didn’t it see the daylight.
I figured Collis has been back to the Marketplaces for a few weeks now, that might explain the sudden change.