185 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
FastNOC says

no believe me i know. i’ve seen the threads

and frankly, I’ve spent MANY hours digging through items. then later stumble upon exactly what i had been looking for, but never found it. That is when i started getting frustrated, and that’s why I’m so excited about all of this

185 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • United States
FastNOC says

see one of my biggest complaints, was that if I was searching, then sorting results, i’d like to use sales or ratings. but i quickly realized that although the results were weighted, inevitablly I’d find items at the top of the list years old.

that makes sorting by rating or sales irrelevant, especially at themeforest when you consider technology (html5 css3 etc, responsive etc). I mean, i want to see what is selling the best in the list I have, but i only really care about the last 6 months or so. same with sales. So this new option, to me, will make those two facets more relevant than ever. And even better, the way it’s being worked out, you could still find projects that are 2 years old at the top because it would take into consideration not only submission dates, but also include update dates

I’m pretty sure we’re on the same page based on what you are saying

80 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Envato Developer
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
damirkotoric Dev says

Question (which Envato probably won’t answer) you describe faceted search as:
what’s faceted search? It’s fancy search-world lingo meaning being able to filter search results pages. The ability to filter by price, ratings, or sales range when searching.

Why do you leave out “time period” as a facet ? I explained previously that since I became a top seller on ActiveDen.. I still get sales on 7 year old redundant AS2 files to this day when over the years there have been newer, better AS3 files from other authors – but my old redundant stuff still sells because they have high sales. This is hard evidence that you need a “time period” in search. Why does Envato want to keep pushing old content on the market places, and refuse to add time period as part of the search, you’re not only showing buyers old content, you’re making it increasingly harder to sell new items.

No matter what other facet you have… time period is the most important one to keep content relevant, fresh and competitive. I don’t make this stuff up, I’ve been here for 7 years, I know how the system works, and it’s totally flawed without having a time period in search – I wish Envato would look at real data and get serious, and stop guessing how it works, survey buyers and ask how easy it is to find stuff – all the answers are right there for you. Asking authors will always be biased if the system is a bit biased… so look at real data, ask the buyers what they want – they’re the ones using the search, and trying to discover content. I honestly can’t believe it has taken so many years of talking about the search, and we still at this point of asking authors what they think. ASK THE BUYERS who use this site every day browsing content, and see what their opinions and suggestions are, you might be surprised.

Who ever said that we’re not taking time facets into consideration? Did you even take a look at the Trello board? https://trello.com/c/yEFfW7oO/9-date-item-was-added

There’s nothing preventing buyers from being part in this. In fact, we have buyers on our focus group which we have Google Hangout meetings with every week.

It seems to me like you’re just frustrated and looking for any reason to nitpick our approach to this project.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

There’s nothing preventing buyers from being part in this. In fact, we have buyers on our focus group which we have Google Hangout meetings with every week. It seems to me like you’re just frustrated and looking for any reason to nitpick our approach to this project.

Well it’s just taken so many years to get to this point, one would get frustrated. But as FastNOC explained, it sounds like he’s aware of what many of have said for years – to be honest this is the first time I’ve actually heard someone official from Envato say this after all the threads created in the past. And it’s good to hear that buyers are involved too, the marketplace should primarily be shaped around their needs and the author sales will reflect accordingly. I think I made my point so at least it’s out there and acknowledged.

5756 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@DS, I am able to feel you :) Authors like us who are awaiting these features for long years should now take a fresh bath, avoid sharing our frustration while commenting. Otherwise the frustration will spread unnecessarily into staff and disturb the spirit of work / research. It requires a lot of emotion control mechanism to proceed on forums for long years! LOL :D Sorry for the off topic – but I felt needed.

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

@DS, I am able to feel you :) Authors like us who are awaiting these features for long years should now take a fresh bath, avoid sharing our frustration while commenting. Otherwise the frustration will spread unnecessarily into staff and disturb the spirit of work / research. It requires a lot of emotion control mechanism to proceed on forums for long years! LOL :D Sorry for the off topic – but I felt needed.

Agreed ;) Sounds like it’s on the right track, so we shall see!

5186 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

@Creattive I removed your post because, as previously mentioned, we want to keep this thread on search facets. Profile pages and commission rates are outside the scope of this particular project. Thanks!

184 posts
  • France
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
sfxstudio says

I made a cross reading all the post, hey cooooool guys, tips are not yet in place you’re complaining already! I do not believe in Santa Clause, but I think here the work that is being done gradually and in the right way … I understand the frustration, but it’s pretty cool that we have the opportunity to give our opinion, even if the reason is advanced can be a smoke screen or anything else, we do not care about it! and what! they are not obliged to do so! Let’s be constructive and think together …. as the author we eat a piece of the pie, but it is not up to us to decide either, as in any walk we need to understand, to better adapt … by cons it would be nice to have more notice and participation of buyers because they’re the first to be concerned by the research tools. we really need to invite more buyers and integrate them to this project!

80 posts
  • Envato Developer
  • Envato Staff
damirkotoric Dev says

Just to clarify, I’d love to see more buyers take part in this. The responses I’ve had so far in Trello have been really great. I was pleasantly surprised, to be honest. So authors, I’d like to ask you for your help. If you have a good relationship with some of your buyers, let them know about this project next time you’re in touch with them. Let them know that we need to hear their voice. We will also try to get in touch with some buyers as well on our end. Feel free to invite them to the Trello boards or they can send me their username and I’ll add them.

703 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
EliIsakov says

Getting hope on…let’s see this.

by
by