88 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Member of the Envato Team Won the Envato Football Cup
+1 more
damirkotoric Envato team says

... I figured Collis has been back to the Marketplaces for a few weeks now, that might explain the sudden change.

Actually it was Michelle Robinson’s (search product manager) idea. I fell in love with it when I heard it and Collis didn’t waste any time giving us his support ;)

4596 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

There are many more facets needed than just “Date added”. We need to think about how all these facets will work in cohesion instead of just adding a quick-fix solution that we will regret later on because we didn’t look at the big picture.

It’s not a quick fix, it’s what is done on every other leading website with user uploaded content, it’s common practice – look at YouTube or Dribbble for example. Are they all wrong and Envato knows something they don’t?

For some reason Envato forgets it’s a technology site, and technology out dates quickly so even though some authors are updating files, a lot of authors are not – so why on earth should high selling items from 7 years ago show up as top results. It would make a lot more sense to have date orientated filters, so buyers can choose a time period for the search so they don’t end up buying outdated content.

I still think its funny every time I get Flash sales on AS2 files to this day which I created back in 2007 and haven’t updated since…. Even though there are better files that are in AS3.. they still buy my old files that are clearly outdated – why are they still selling? because they have high sales and high up in the search.. the system is completely flawed not having date filtering – it’s a reality that Envato needs to address.

189 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Located in United States
FastNOC says

i think the point was it’s much more than simply adding a date field. but your suggestion is exactly what I said. I think the sales and ratings sorting becomes relevant only when you can designate the range to take into account.

But that’s just one aspect of it. it’s much more thorough than simply adding that one feature. The goal is to facet the search criteria in many different ways to target the results you want.

this is one of my biggest headaches. i’m not an author here. well i am but i’ve yet to upload my projects. but i spend a huge amount of time here and purchase a lot of projects. This item you bring up is, to me, the biggest single improvement that could be made becuase doing so brings in two other fields and adds a huge amount of help.

You are definitely on the right track. you should think of some other items like that and see if you’ve got some ideas that haven’t been introduced yet. That’s what the point of the focus group is, and ideas like yours are the help they’re looking for in order to build the requirements list.

36 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
hi5place says

Finger crossed ;)

I like it.

4596 posts Love & Light
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Interviewed on an Envato blog Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

i think the point was it’s much more than simply adding a date field. but your suggestion is exactly what I said. I think the sales and ratings sorting becomes relevant only when you can designate the range to take into account.

I think a lot of us have suggested it for years and I’m sure there are many other smaller facets that can be added to the search, but the time period addition would be a huge change, like bending space time and going through a worm hole into another dimension for selling on the marketplaces ;) No one really knows what would happen, but now that the marketplaces are more than 5 years old its inevitable to add that feature. It will cause fluctuations, but the system will balance out and authors will adapt. Rather do it now, than in 2020 when the marketplaces are triple the size.

5880 posts
    Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Actually I thought faceted search was something almost completed and will be live any time now. Anyway much respect for the current efforts and proper explanations in the thread opening, highly appreciate!.

On topic, in the search filters, I would suggest NOT to add option based on top authors like below. That will almost kill the scope of search, since we already have too many ways for such exposure / access. Avoid atleast for the first phase of implementation.

\\

4596 posts Love & Light
+8 more
digitalscience says

What about something like this? Over the years the notches between “Year” and “All Time” will grow to indicate each year after the first year. By default the slider will be on “All time” and users can define the time period by moving the slider.

\\

2149 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

why is this not sticky anymore? I’m sure many users haven’t seen this yet and would like to participate.

5336 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Located in Canada Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

why is this not sticky anymore? I’m sure many users haven’t seen this yet and would like to participate.

I think the sticky was taken off by mistake. It’s back to sticky again :)

2149 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
    Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

@damir

As we are talking about how to make it easier for customers to find items, I’d like to link to this thread I started some months ago:

http://videohive.net/forums/thread/request-category-filter-on-portfolio-pages/116375

Some dev recently told me that the portfolio page is technically a search result page. So it doesn’t fit in my head why we don’t have the category filter on a portfolio page, especially since some author’s portfolio has several hundred to thousand items.

Now, as we are talking about adding facets to the search results page, I’d like to bring this up again and kindly ask everyone to not forget the portfolio pages. A category filter is a must here, some other facets would be very user-friendly, too.

by
by
by
by
by
by