1182 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
campolar says

On themeforest, a website is supposed to look at least representable with javascript disabled. But what if we code in HTML5 using etc, IE wont read them and we need to apply JS to make it do so. And if JS is disabled, IE would act stupid…

So, will these types of themes be allowed on themeforest?

1799 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
BroOf says

I wondered me the same. I decided to code my new themes in strict xHTML so there won’t be any errors.

136 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Raspo says
On themeforest, a website is supposed to look at least representable with javascript disabled. But what if we code in HTML5 using etc, IE wont read them and we need to apply JS to make it do so. And if JS is disabled, IE would act stupid… So, will these types of themes be allowed on themeforest?

+1

1182 posts
campolar says

I would say drop the non-javascript requirement.

Everyone has javascript enabled. In IE specially, it is very hard to disable JS. Even you would need to dig into the settings to disable it. Only people who have it disabled are people who know what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. So, they would expect weird functionality on the internet!

Just my 2 cents :)

1028 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
ThemeBlvd says
I would say drop the non-javascript requirement.

Everyone has javascript enabled. In IE specially, it is very hard to disable JS. Even you would need to dig into the settings to disable it. Only people who have it disabled are people who know what they’re doing and why they’re doing it. So, they would expect weird functionality on the internet!

Just my 2 cents :)

Assuming they okay’d it… I think all this would need to be clearly outlined in the theme’s description so the buyer knows what they’re getting… Basically explaining the theme uses HTML5 , it needs javascript for IE, blah blah.

4905 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

I would say that you should try to provide as much fallback functionality as possible. For example, like you noted, Javascript for when HTML5 can’t be rendered properly. But then again, I don’t know if I’d then be so critical on how well the theme will also handle if HTML5 is not able to render, and the Javascript is turned off.

3221 posts
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says
I would say that you should try to provide as much fallback functionality as possible. For example, like you noted, Javascript for when HTML5 can’t be rendered properly. But then again, I don’t know if I’d then be so critical on how well the theme will also handle if HTML5 is not able to render, and the Javascript is turned off.

itll get rejected one of mine just did for a similar reason a mobile site not having fallback for desktop browers( the reviewer previously told me that mobile sites didn’t have to have fallback for desktops)

7 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Netherlands
Stevend says

isnt it that the newest IE “IE9” would be like Firefox?? I heard something about IE would be different than all the times before. I dont know if its true but everwhere i read i see the same comments:

“IE9 will be different than eny other IE browsers. IE will support html5 and css3 but it will also have the same browser vieuw as Firefox and Google Chrome because IE dont wanna left behind anymore.”

Is this true????

1182 posts
campolar says
isnt it that the newest IE “IE9” would be like Firefox?? I heard something about IE would be different than all the times before. I dont know if its true but everwhere i read i see the same comments:

“IE9 will be different than eny other IE browsers. IE will support html5 and css3 but it will also have the same browser vieuw as Firefox and Google Chrome because IE dont wanna left behind anymore.”

Is this true????

Microsoft say IE9 will fully support HTML5 and CSS3 . But IMHO , it would still suck…

@Mark: Only IE needs javascript. All other browsers render HTML5 properly…

PS: I’m not talking about advanced html5, i’m talking about the basic stuff like the , , , etc tags…

1734 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
VisualSharing says

Well, I guess we have to wait for jremick to see this thread and tell us, because I also want to use HTML5 tags. :grin:

Unfortunately, it turned out that IE also has the option to disable javascript ( or Active scripting, as it calls it :D ). So you can have the scenario IE7 without javascript. :S

by
by
by
by
by
by