364 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years Has referred 10+ members Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
chrisfay says

I’m currently working out the details of a partnership with a co-worker to start releasing themes again and curious to hear how others have structured this. How have you handled the revenue sharing (at least in terms of percentages, and any other details), do you have a tool that extracts out the revenue for themes you’ve done together vs your own and calculates earnings, etc…

Was it successful overall for you and would you recommend doing it this way?

I like the idea of divide and concur and feel it will help me avoid the burnout I felt after each theme, but curious on others thoughts about this…

1999 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Shared account, 50/50, withdraw funds in turns via swift or paypal: the one getting the money transfers 50% to other party.

Both very satisfied for how things are going.

9 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Smaugcz says

I’m thinking of partnership too. I am a developer but even though I can design I am not so sure that I would be able to design a theme on such high level as themeforest themes are. I can code them for sure though. But what I wonder about, if it’s fair to split 50/50 with a designer as the design usually takes much less time than development (correct me if I’m wrong but that’s how I see it)

140 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
weblusive says
Smaugcz said
I’m thinking of partnership too. I am a developer but even though I can design I am not so sure that I would be able to design a theme on such high level as themeforest themes are. I can code them for sure though. But what I wonder about, if it’s fair to split 50/50 with a designer as the design usually takes much less time than development (correct me if I’m wrong but that’s how I see it)

That hugely depends on the fact if you already have some framework to start with. My first WP theme took me 4 months to build. The reason for this was lack of experience with wordpress and the desire to create something for all future themes to be built on. So, after releasing my first theme, the others have taken one week from me to build. In this stage, it becomes ok to share the revenue 50/50 with a designer as making a quality design takes as much time.

9 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
Smaugcz says
weblusive said
Smaugcz said
That hugely depends on the fact if you already have some framework to start with. My first WP theme took me 4 months to build. The reason for this was lack of experience with wordpress and the desire to create something for all future themes to be built on. So, after releasing my first theme, the others have taken one week from me to build. In this stage, it becomes ok to share the revenue 50/50 with a designer as making a quality design takes as much time.

Fair enough. I’ve got many of functions etc. written in other themes I’ve done so I reuse the code a lot, but I don’t have an actual framework. You’re right, when you got all set up like that then all you need is code it to html/css and integrate it.

Looks like I’m gonna go create a framework for myself, it will save me time later :)

1148 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
fillerspace says

Doesn’t the coder have to provide ongoing support? That should be factored in to the split.

by
by
by
by
by
by