• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

I’ve just finished watching this and I even managed to understand despite the speed of Collis words and not the best audio quality ;). Very inspiring and the slides with metrics gave me a hope that there still is growing demand for WordPress themes and solutions

I have noting but respect for the dude.

I think we all do, we probably don’t think about it everyday, but I have no idea how my life would look if Collis and Cyan haven’t start Envato. It’s amazing if you think how many lives they influenced.

218 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
adriantry Staff says

I’m listening right now. I enjoyed the urinal part of the story too. I’m glad we’re not still there! ;)

271 posts The Dominant One
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
wptitans says

Instead of chatting about how hey started it all, this is already well known by now. Keeping it running and keeping the people who have made themeforest (among others) happy is more important i think.

I’d say what Collis talked about is actually very, very unknown to the vast majority of people. Pretty sure the fact that Envato essentially started in a men’s bathroom is not widely known.

I was at Pressnomics and saw the presentation live. Truly inspiring. I also got the opportunity to sit down and talk to Collis personally for a while.

Networking with members of the Envato community, and the WordPress community, as he did at Pressnomics, is extremely valuable to Envato and all of its marketplace members.

I spent a while personally talking with Collis about how to improve the marketplaces for authors, so saying that he wasn’t working to improve the sites simply isn’t true at all.

Collis told me personally that one of his goals with going to Pressnomics was to directly interact with prominent members of the marketplace and WordPress community and to get their feedback on how to improve the ecosystem in the Envato marketplaces.

Hey m8, you are correct about Collis. I also have the greatest respect for such a successful entrepeneur. But you have to be honest that we do want an update from time to time here on the forums for the folks who can’t attend at such meetings.

See, the things hey told you about the future of the marketplaces is something hey should share with all of us, this way we all know what’s hapening behind the scenes.

Like stated before, i don’t want to offend anybody and I do have the greatest respect for Colis, Envato and all others who are involved. They made it all happen. Just want some updates about what’s cooking.

5542 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Hey should speak here in the forums about the future goals and plans with the marketplaces. More and more themes are popping up. It’s good for envato sales but not for us.

I believe since they recently dedicated a staff (product owner), we supposed to leave Collis freely and request the dedicated staff for any changes / improvements. The worst thing Envato can do to its service is making this kind of changes exactly when the time for major improvements arrived like an overdue. If the same happened an year back… well just forget about the past – atleast they arranged this now! Hope they will comeup with solutions for growing number of theme releases as a self – observed fact.

488 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
PixelBuffet says

What a great talk, really inspiring stuff! Thanks for sharing.

I had no problems keeping up with what Collis said, in fact I love how fast he talks – the guy just has so much energy and drive!

It was really interesting to hear just how much of a risk it was at the start for you guys. Newly married, no home, no money, credit card debts, investment debts to your parents and living with your in-laws. It makes me really realise how lucky we are to have these marketplaces. It’s not just that it makes it easier for us to make money, it’s how little risk is actually involved in doing so.

Interestingly I started here when I was newly married, living with my mother-in-law and with credit card debt looming over me (we had an actual bedroom though, rather than an old toilet :P). In my case though, I had a full time design job and decided to begin adding graphics for sale here. After a while, I was able to reduce my hours at work from the money I made here. Then eventually I was able to leave and split my time between adding files here and doing freelance client work. I’ve now been self-employed 2 years and having finished my first WordPress theme earlier this year, I’ve made the decision to begin moving more in that direction and phasing out client work.

My brother is increasingly becoming involved in the business (also stepping down his full time job) and within a year we’re hoping to have a decent-sized business sustaining the both of us and our families, and giving us the freedom to work on what we love.

Thanks to these marketplaces, I’ve been able to do this whole thing with basically no risk to my families financial stability (which is good because I now have a 9 week old baby to worry about too!).

Thank you Collis, thank you Envato :)

948 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
Giallo says

I think we all do, we probably don’t think about it everyday, but I have no idea how my life would look if Collis and Cyan haven’t start Envato. It’s amazing if you think how many lives they influenced.

+1

I feel pain when I try to imagine my life without Envato: I should wake up and go to whatever office everyday. Love my life this way, love to sleep and work in the night, love to do what I want., and this is only thanks to a crazy Australian guy who had a dream and realized it. Thanks…

841 posts Envato Studio Communications Manager
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
+3 more
Jordan_M Staff says

Thanks for sharing your stories too guys! :) It’s always nice getting insight into these things!

3007 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

He talked about reviewer standards that grown over the years. And he said that they are important. Than why loose them now?

1479 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
+5 more
collis Staff says

Hey guys! Glad to hear the talk was somewhat audible. The conference didn’t do a recording, so I just hit record on my laptop. Unfortunately I have a tendency to pace around on the stage and make wild hand motions, so that’s why the sound goes in and out.

Hey m8, you are correct about Collis. I also have the greatest respect for such a successful entrepeneur. But you have to be honest that we do want an update from time to time here on the forums for the folks who can’t attend at such meetings.

See, the things hey told you about the future of the marketplaces is something hey should share with all of us, this way we all know what’s hapening behind the scenes.

Like stated before, i don’t want to offend anybody and I do have the greatest respect for Colis, Envato and all others who are involved. They made it all happen. Just want some updates about what’s cooking.

It’s true, I really should be here more often. It’s getting tougher and tougher though I must say. These days I seem to spend most of my days in meetings and racing through email backlogs.

I’m hoping over the new year break to have a little time to think how I can try to change up my work schedule to have more time for things like popping on to the forums (and resting ;-) )

237 posts I wield art like a gun, but I aim to please you
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
SeraphimChris says

Nice speech, very inspiring. If you listen hard enough you’ll hear everything. The important parts stood out. ;-)

by
by
by
by
by
by