• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Definitely this has positive impacts on TF and CC. But for GR and VH, support tab is unnecessary risk since the item comment is already serving well and almost there is no expectation of support on there (until we ourself screw buyers to expect for that). So changing the FAQ tab into “Support” is misleading on those particular marketplaces.

Most GR & VH items do not have FAQs, so the Support tab will not be shown. It’s only for high support items (themes, plugins, etc) that we’re always showing the tab.

If your GR item has no FAQs, there is no change to your items. If you had FAQs on your GR item, there’s a subtle change from FAQs to Support in the label for the tab, and the content on that page is more explicit about what is and is not provided, where none previously existed.

Given the above, what’s your remaining primary concern with FAQs being renamed to Support on GR?

The word itself is a concern. Basically the word “support” means possible communication between buyer and author. But for these kind of marketplaces (GR, VH etc), the communication is almost zero due to the very nature of industry/item and none of the author want a buyer to contact with false understanding of support availability. So by leaving the title as FAQ, we can make sure any buyer before clicking the tab,
1. Does not misunderstand the tab as dedicated for communication
2. Buyers will know that there are actually premade FAQs available inside the tab (just straightforward)

Any author who puts the extra effort of writing FAQ does it to avoid interaction – not to make buyers to try for support/communication. But according your explanation, the support tab will be visible only for those who adds FAQ. Contradicting the whole purpose of FAQ.

Understandably, this can be more sensitive for authors while staffs may not aware about the possible impact on this, so I would give a different case example for clarity: What if we add “Refund” button near every item’s purchase button? Obviously there will be some customers who clicks that just for the sake of trying – not because of serious refund level issue. The same applies here; we better show the word “support” only where it is a norm and relevant.

Sorry for occupying your time on these tricky views but I have to point this because 6 marketplaces doesn’t need the word “support” although the other 2 marketplaces can face a good result using that support tab. Thanks for your efforts to grasp this too :)

5319 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

+1 to add whatever we want to the page.

-1 for pre-populated content about what our support includes / does not include. As long as support isn’t required, we should have the ability to choose and communicate our own policies.

In theory transparency is great, but I question the strategy of telling buyers “the rules” of support so prominently. After all, that’s why “fine print” was invented :P

64 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • India
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
rerror says

Awesome feature! Thanks a lot.

491 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

Sorry for occupying your time on these tricky views but I have to point this because 6 marketplaces doesn’t need the word “support” although the other 2 marketplaces can face a good result using that support tab. Thanks for your efforts to grasp this too :)

Thanks, I’m getting a better grasp on your POV. What this comes down to, I think, is really different interpretations of the word “Support”, which might be indicative of all buyers, or just you and me.

My perspective is mostly that of the buyer — “I need some kind of help with this thing, where do I start? who can I talk to?”. This is true for both GR items and TF items, so switching back to FAQs on GR is not something I’m thrilled about — the buyer needs more than FAQs, even on GR.

Maybe there’s another general purpose label for the tab we can find, but for most GR items, this will be a moot point (as the tab will not be shown at all until FAQs are present).

Given your concerns and mine, I’d like to focus our efforts on the content on the Support tab — improve the copy and the message (perhaps even customize it for different sites or categories) to make it even clearer to buyers., and I think this is something we can do iteratively once authors see this tab on their items and get a feel for the different variations.

491 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

-1 for pre-populated content about what our support includes / does not include. As long as support isn’t required, we should have the ability to choose and communicate our own policies. In theory transparency is great, but I question the strategy of telling buyers “the rules” of support so prominently. After all, that’s why “fine print” was invented :P

There’s a gap (sometimes a huge gap) in expectations between buyers and authors around support. As long as it’s not explicitly stated somewhere, the gap will continue to widen. We picked what we felt was a starting point for a minimum level of support, and we can move around from there if needed. It’s a tricky balancing act between consistency for buyers and flexibility for authors.

The “additional message from the author” can be used for extended support, I think.

If there’s anything in particular you think should not be included in this minimum (or anything that should be added), please let us know in the survey.

491 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

You’ve made my day justinfrench. Great news!

Thanks, it wasn’t just me :)

5319 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

There’s a gap (sometimes a huge gap) in expectations between buyers and authors around support. As long as it’s not explicitly stated somewhere, the gap will continue to widen. We picked what we felt was a starting point for a minimum level of support, and we can move around from there if needed. It’s a tricky balancing act between consistency for buyers and flexibility for authors.

The tab itself is a great addition. But what’s the downside to just allowing us to write our own support terms?

491 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

The tab itself is a great addition. But what’s the downside to just allowing us to write our own support terms?

It leads to a lack of consistency for buyers — they would have to check each item’s support tab thoroughly in order to understand this author’s unique support terms, rather than building up confidence in what “support” generally means on the Marketplaces. Buyer confidence is a good thing :)

If there’s anything you’d prefer we explicitly exclude or include in our proposed terms, please let us know via the survey!

3219 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

It leads to a lack of consistency for buyers — they would have to check each item’s support tab thoroughly in order to understand this author’s unique support terms, rather than building up confidence in what “support” generally means on the Marketplaces. Buyer confidence is a good thing :)

If there’s anything you’d prefer we explicitly exclude or include in our proposed terms, please let us know via the survey!

But the point is this is a marketplace, each authors support terms are completely different. Your point only makes sense if you were forcing the same levels of support, or this was a one author marketplace..

For example I support some plugin compatibility ( for major plugins without identical functionality )

Some authors provide minor customizations for free

So I guess I don’t really see your logic, unless Envato is going to start forcing support levels then its a different story.

As every author is different there will always be a lack of consistency, in both the product and the level of support it has.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

I have to agree with Chris here. Buyers should be clicking support tabs on each product anyway – to get clarification of the level of support for that item – it would be different, again as Chris says, if it was an authors page with a support tab, but this is a product support tab, hence it could be different.

Here’s an example – I create a WordPress theme that can stand alone and look great and I offer support for installation, minor css edits etc but this theme is compatible with and styled to also use the woo commerce plugin – I would stipulate that support is not included for questions, edits, styling etc for the plugin, it’s not mine and it’s not necessary to use my theme.

You said you wanted to do this to build up confidence in what ‘support’ generally means on the marketplace – unfortunately however, there is no general level for support as it is not required – therefore no level is created to express in a message – hence it’s purely an author / item specific thing only and should be left that way in all honesty.

Unless this is for future plans of introducing a minimum level of support you are thinking of enforcing in the future – but of course that would change the whole terms, conditions, expectations and pricing of items.

Hope that helps explain from my point of view at least.

Jonathan

by
by
by
by
by
by