509 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in Australia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+1 more
justinfrench Envato team says

For the support through email, let buyers know that they must attach their purchased file to the message they are sending.

This seems pretty specialized. Perhaps this is a great candidate for the “message from the author”.

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

If the option for an outside URL for support is activated are item comments disabled?

Not at this stage, but I think we’ll emphasise the external support system when adding a comment.

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

So if we look closer, actually nothing improved on item support area except displaying variety of support channels for authors to pick and combining this with FAQ. Everything exists just like before but the difference is the word “Support” going to be emphasized on every marketplace item that has FAQ.

This was exactly the goal! Let authors keep doing whatever it is they’re doing, clarify to the buyer what is already happening, and make everything more explicit. After this step, there will be other steps.

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

If the option for an outside URL for support is activated are item comments disabled?
Not at this stage, but I think we’ll emphasise the external support system when adding a comment.

Would that be for buyers only, as comments are still good for pre sales(or the rare review of an item)

One possibility is to allow a auto reply message to be posted to buyers that authors could set in the dashboard

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Please allow more text in that extra field. I cannot write even half of what i want, because it’s so so small…
What’s an example of the text you want to include? Why so much? Can we cover the issues you’re trying to address with extra support preferences or fields or general improvements to the Support tab in a way that that benefits all items and provides more consistency for buyers?

The current count is far too low for anyone to use effectively – I think enough people have mentioned that, and I’m not quite sure where the logic comes to restrict it anyway? Unless I am not quite understanding why there would be a limit in place to start with it seems totally unnecessary to do so.

Please don’t disable comments or mess with them – they are an important part of buyer / potential buyer and author communication and can assist with sales if the author uses them correctly.

I agree multiple choice of support seems counter productive and confusing for buyers – best to stick to one option and funnel support via your preferred method is easier for everyone. Why would you want different product type support to be split anyway? Seems that would be harder for the author to start with :)

Jonathan

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

Definitely this has positive impacts on TF and CC. But for GR and VH, support tab is unnecessary risk since the item comment is already serving well and almost there is no expectation of support on there (until we ourself screw buyers to expect for that). So changing the FAQ tab into “Support” is misleading on those particular marketplaces.

Most GR & VH items do not have FAQs, so the Support tab will not be shown. It’s only for high support items (themes, plugins, etc) that we’re always showing the tab.

If your GR item has no FAQs, there is no change to your items. If you had FAQs on your GR item, there’s a subtle change from FAQs to Support in the label for the tab, and the content on that page is more explicit about what is and is not provided, where none previously existed.

Given the above, what’s your remaining primary concern with FAQs being renamed to Support on GR?

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

The current count is far too low for anyone to use effectively – I think enough people have mentioned that, and I’m not quite sure where the logic comes to restrict it anyway? Unless I am not quite understanding why there would be a limit in place to start with it seems totally unnecessary to do so.

There’s two main reasons:

1. I want to understand what on earth you need all that space for :) Are the things you’re trying to say things that we should be saying on every item on your behalf? Are they hinting at more checkboxes and preferences we should expose to all authors?

2. Generally speaking, the areas where we provide unlimited text and HTML are the areas where we now feel most restricted when it comes to redesigning the pages (or portions of them), re-appropriating content, etc. If we can get smaller, discrete pieces of content, we can move faster with redesigns, mobile, etc with less fear we’re breaking author’s stuff.

3243 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

I’m all for breaking item pages if it fixes the fuglyness and usability issues, and I’m sure most other authors wouldn’t care

2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

There’s two main reasons:

1. I want to understand what on earth you need all that space for :) Are the things you’re trying to say things that we should be saying on every item on your behalf? Are they hinting at more checkboxes and preferences we should expose to all authors?

2. Generally speaking, the areas where we provide unlimited text and HTML are the areas where we now feel most restricted when it comes to redesigning the pages (or portions of them), re-appropriating content, etc. If we can get smaller, discrete pieces of content, we can move faster with redesigns, mobile, etc with less fear we’re breaking author’s stuff.

Hey Justin,

I don’t mean to be disrespectful at all but saying that larger content restricts you redesigning the pages seems silly – try making a page template for the masses in a WordPress theme :)

Content first – design second – and design should always accommodate the content – we can scroll unless you are thinking of removing browser scrolling.

I’m not trying to write a book, but to cleanly outline a thank you message, then an intro in to our support center and very basic instructions currently will not fit – at all. I didn’t say unlimited was 100% necessary but I will say the current count is 100% unusable.

Hope that helps

Jonathan

509 posts
  • Located in Australia
+1 more

I don’t mean to be disrespectful at all but saying that larger content restricts you redesigning the pages seems silly – try making a page template for the masses in a WordPress theme :)

Content first – design second – and design should always accommodate the content – we can scroll unless you are thinking of removing browser scrolling.

I’m not trying to write a book, but to cleanly outline a thank you message, then an intro in to our support center and very basic instructions currently will not fit – at all. I didn’t say unlimited was 100% necessary but I will say the current count is 100% unusable.

Sure, we can design for much larger chunks of content, but as you know that is also a design restriction. In the current design, significantly bigger content would push the FAQs down, so I’d want to rethink other parts of the page to avoid that trade-off.

I’m a huge fan of content first, totally agree, yet none of the authors asking for more space has given me an example of real content that doesn’t fit. Care to share yours either here for via email?

Without seeing your content I admit I’m just guessing, but could some of that content be pushed off to your support center? The job of this page is to provide the overview and push people in the right direction. Once they’re there, they get the extra detail they need.

by
by
by
by
by
by