5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

Lol at the gifs.

I generally steer away from png8 because of bleed. I never knew you could optimise png images will check link out cheers

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Lol at the gifs. I generally steer away from png8 because of bleed. I never knew you could optimise png images will check link out cheers

Never an issue using that site – drag n’ drop and boom done – crazy stuff.

6088 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

PNG 8 doesn’t differs much from GIF when it comes to edges.

In case PNG 24 is the only solution for future updates on bg color, then we should recommend it – no matter it increases file size or not.

I am worried about the fact that many of my item images have to be updated for bg color change but currently I don’t have editable source files! Requires rework after years! Grrrr….

\\

2299 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

There’s a huge difference in abilities between png8 and gif – just depends if it’s done correctly – see tinypng.org for information.

However – here’s an idea, don’t depend on the background color and then you can save out as however you wish and don’t have to worry – i.e. box your stuffs :)

6088 posts
+8 more
VF says

However – here’s an idea, don’t depend on the background color and then you can save out as however you wish and don’t have to worry – i.e. box your stuffs :)

Yes, in fact that’s the only option while converting old image to match new bg for my case – with minimum work on old image. However if you look at the above image on this light bg, it looks awkward and wont differ much even with a well margined box.

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

@jonathon, crikey that site really does reduce the png size huh. I had a handful of 300+kb pngs, just reduced by 74% and no identifiable loss in quality.

Thanks

41 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
fitwp says

Just answered the survey. I hosted images on my hosts, so I just need to update images without touching the item description. Anyway, it needs some time to update all images.

6088 posts
+8 more
VF says

@jonathon, crikey that site really does reduce the png size huh. I had a handful of 300+kb pngs, just reduced by 74% and no identifiable loss in quality. Thanks

Yeah, it isn’t PNG 8 version but PNG 24 with reasonable reduction in file size. Would be very handy.

5492 posts
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

@VF totally, I havent tested on black backgrounds, but then I dont anyway lol. But very impressed

341 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
joshhunsaker says

Just wondering, but who decided to remove the tabs? Seems like an odd choice for usability as I don’t see an indication of a link there compared to regular text? How would a user know they are links to click? They just look like floating words.. no underlines, nothing around them, not a different color? Jonathan

Yes, this.

Honestly, this whole “flatten all the webpage design!” theme running rampant everywhere is doing everyone a major disservice ever since it first started with the crime on humanity that microsoft proposed with their 2013 minimal/flat product UI/UX updates which they pushed like a disfigured 3-legged dog on a skateboard upon a public who probably wondered in concert “what? Is this even a button? WTF am I supposed to click? THE HELL?

Unless you know exactly what you trying to accomplish, I suggest you put a wide berth between you and flat design. It’s not easy to do right and most companies f**k it up completely. Visual identification is CRITICAL and preventing a user from making an extremely quick judgement on “is this really something that I click that is also grouped with these other UI elements” is simply going to subconsciously piss them off.

The fact that SOO many companies and people are interested in flat design because “hey, that’s what you do now” is one of the more infuriating trends to watch in the general tech industry.

by
by
by
by
by
by