323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

After recently purchasing and installing a plugin, we discovered it didn’t match the claims of the author on their sales page and essential functionality was absent. The author acknowledged these shortcomings, and promised a month ago to fix the issues in a forthcoming update.

The update has been released, but instead the author has now stated rather than fixing the current issues, and adding the features he promised has decided to make users pay for another plugin to provide the missing features and functionality that his plugin promises.

I queried this in the comments section, politely, and my comments have been removed.

We have had many issues with themes and as a result no longer buy them here, but this is the first time we’ve had a problem with a plugin.

We’re not over the moon that we’ve bought a plugin that doesn’t work as advertised, and that the author has withdrawn the fixes he promised, but what really annoys us as customers is having our queries removed from the comments section. There was nothing offensive, it was all polite and all comments based on fact – but they were removed, most likely to avoid any blemish on the authors page.

Obviously this is annoying for us, but it demonstrates the levels of censorship on this marketplace, and the lengths Envato will go to to protect an authors sales. What this means is that we will never feel able to purchase an item on here again, as we can no longer rely on the comments sections to provide a realist picture of the products we’re browsing.

Disappointing.

1244 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

Hello familychoice, as far as I know for such thing you can get a refund therefore I think the right thing to do is to ask for a refund if the file had false statements about features that never existed and the author did not included them after a period (assuming that he forgot to include them in the initial release).

75 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
UnknownDepths says

familychoice,

Thanks for sharing this information. It is important that we remain as open and transparent as we can; in a respectful, tolerant, and appreciative manner; in order for problems to be clearly observed and understood. Such is necessary for sound and true solutions to be created; which will ultimately aid everyone in making constructive progress towards their goals. The censorship process only delays the time it takes to reach truth and an ultimate solution. It clouds and obscures the truth; but regardless, the truth will still exist. Censorship can influence people to remain quiet or become louder. I’m happy there are those like you that project your voice further when others do not wish you to be heard. Stay focused on the truth and sharing truth. Ultimately it will reach those searching for it and any bystanders it travels by.

- Nun Kwon

5166 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Support Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
+8 more
KingDog Staff says

It’s not our intention to censor comments. We get pulled into the item comments a lot, and it’s not always the best place to give support, specifically when authors prefer to use their own support system. Of course, we try not to delete a reasonably expressed comment even when it’s negative. But we sometimes get it wrong, and we’re sorry for that. If a comment or feedback is appropriately expressed, then it should stay up there.

Additionally, some comments like request for refunds, copyright accusations and such naturally need to go through Support. So we’ll remove those comments as well.

362 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
codenegar says

Hi, Who takes care of reported comments? staff? moderators?
Are there written rules about reportable comments?

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Of course, we try not to delete a reasonably expressed comment even when it’s negative. But we sometimes get it wrong, and we’re sorry for that. If a comment or feedback is appropriately expressed, then it should stay up there.

The author has flagged another comment today, if you’re not censoring genuine customer concerns then please replace my comments.

The author doesn’t want us to discuss the issue of the functionality he promised, but has now withdrawn and told customers they will have to purchase additional commercial plugins to provide.

To be honest it’s too late for a refund as we’ve spent weeks building a website around this particular plugin, and the amount of time wasted would be disastrous for our business. We’ve no option but to now pay for additional plugins to provide the level of functionality that the original product implies. If we’d known from the start we wouldn’t have bought it, and if the author hadn’t promised to fix the issues then we wouldn’t have continued building our site, waiting for the promised fixes and updates.

But the main issue we’re raising in this thread is how our comments have been censored, and the implications of this type of behaviour for customers of your marketplace.

Basically if you’re pruning negative feedback in the comments section and allowing authors to cherrypick customer responses, and this has happened with our comments on previous occasions, then we’re not able to trust the content of these sections when buying new products as we’re potentially not getting the whole picture.

How can we possibly buy products from this marketplace when authors can make claims on their sales pages for features that don’t exist and can be withdrawn, support and updates can be promised and promoted but then again withdrawn due to the Envato ‘optional support’ clause, and comment sections are pruned of negative feedback giving a false impression of the products capabilities?

434 posts here for love
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • India
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
nCrafts says

After recently purchasing and installing a plugin, we discovered it didn’t match the claims of the author on their sales page and essential functionality was absent. The author acknowledged these shortcomings, and promised a month ago to fix the issues in a forthcoming update.

The update has been released, but instead the author has now stated rather than fixing the current issues, and adding the features he promised has decided to make users pay for another plugin to provide the missing features and functionality that his plugin promises.

I queried this in the comments section, politely, and my comments have been removed.

We have had many issues with themes and as a result no longer buy them here, but this is the first time we’ve had a problem with a plugin.

We’re not over the moon that we’ve bought a plugin that doesn’t work as advertised, and that the author has withdrawn the fixes he promised, but what really annoys us as customers is having our queries removed from the comments section. There was nothing offensive, it was all polite and all comments based on fact – but they were removed, most likely to avoid any blemish on the authors page.

Obviously this is annoying for us, but it demonstrates the levels of censorship on this marketplace, and the lengths Envato will go to to protect an authors sales. What this means is that we will never feel able to purchase an item on here again, as we can no longer rely on the comments sections to provide a realist picture of the products we’re browsing.

Disappointing.

I am not trying to take a side, but I don’t think we can come to a fair conclusion without hearing the author’s perspective. I am quite sure the author has an entirely different story to tell.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

I am not trying to take a side, but I don’t think we can come to a fair conclusion without hearing the author’s perspective. I am quite sure the author has an entirely different story to tell.

I don’t mind if he wants to join the discussion, but I’m not able to ‘call out’ the product so there’s no option to do this. I’m more than happy to debate the issues publicly.

But the author already has more of a voice than I do – he seems to have the ability to keep positive feedback on his comments page yet remove anything negative or critical of his product, and he’s even been able to remove one of his own comments where he promised to fix all the issues we and others had reported in his latest release.

I didn’t start this thread to debate problems with a specific product though, I’m concerned how genuine feedback is being pruned from comment sections, and how this affects our ability to make an informed decision when purchasing new products.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

note that flagging a comment it doesn’t mean it is removed, but only temporarily disabled till a staff member can look at the comment.

Staff presence on marketplace on weekends is low so it may take a couple of hours or a day till someone will look at the comment to see if temporarily hiding the comment was appropriate or not.

1244 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

You are free to request a refund, the Author can ask for comment removal for various reasons and as KingDog said: not all authors prefer to offer support via Comments, therefore he might want your comment to be removed since he stated you can contact him trough another method. Myself I report comments that are covered by the Support tab for example to keep the comments section clean. Just my 2 cents regarding this matter.

I don’t think there is such thing as censorship in the comments section of the Items, for example I could go to other authors Item and start posting idiotic comments, if he removes them that’s just fine because he might have some reasons by doing that.

Also if I start swear on forums and the moderators removes my comment I could say the same that they censor me (freedom of speech?), it’s all about the reason behind that report. The only right thing you can do is to ask a refund which will directly affect the author of that item. ;-)

Good luck.

by
by
by
by
by
by