323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
familychoice says

Comments just aren’t the appropriate place for arguments. If you leave negative feedback, understand that an author’s rebuttal is not an invitation to argue. As a buyer, the best thing you can do is to just not buy from that author again. And if the product is seriously flawed (false advertising, bugs, etc.), the best thing you can do is write support. My 2c.

Thanks for the reply. In this instance though it wasn’t really an argument that was removed, but an ongoing discussion relating to promises made by the author previously, and continued on from previous comments. The author was happy to promote the new features he was going to release in his comments section, so when they didn’t materialise I thought it appropriate to ask why this hadn’t happened in the same section he’d promoted it.

I guess my point is, if the item was being falsely advertised, leaving a “buyer beware” comment isn’t as effective as taking steps to actually correct the situation. For example, only some potential buyers will actually read the comments. Lots of other buyers won’t and will end up with the same frustrations you did. However, if you write support and report that the item is being falsely advertised, support will then contact the author and ask him/her to correct their description.

They won’t, as they said in response to my support request this morning:

“we can’t control the direction that authors decide to take with their items – which features they add or remove is entirely up to them”.

Leaving a response on the comment section is the only way to register dissatisfaction and challenge the misrepresentation of a product or for savvy buyers looking to research a new purchase, or at leas it was until we discovered negative comments can be pruned.

148 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
loveetc says

This is funny because 68 out 71 rated that item as 5/5, and you rated as 1 :)

323 posts
familychoice says

This is funny because 68 out 71 rated that item as 5/5, and you rated as 1 :)

How do you know how I rated it?

Yes it’s got some good ratings, that’s why we bought it, but so far only around 12% of purchasers have actually rated the product, so it’s hardly representative.

Try and stay on topic, as I’ve stated all along Love, this thread wasn’t started to discuss the shortcomings of a specific product, it’s about the way Envato are moderating the comments section and their inability to keep a grip on misleading claims some authors are making at the point of sale.

640 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+3 more
GravityDept says

I doubt customers will have flagged the negative comments

You’d be surprised. A few dozen times I’ve woken up to comments that somebody else flagged (no idea who). They’re removed 9/10 times, and I never know what the comment was.

Buyers who use comments as a support channel will police each other if they think you’re stepping over the line. The hard part is explaining that I (as the author) didn’t flag the comment and have no idea what the comment was.

323 posts
familychoice says

I doubt customers will have flagged the negative comments

You’d be surprised. A few dozen times I’ve woken up to comments that somebody else flagged (no idea who). They’re removed 9/10 times, and I never know what the comment was.

Buyers who use comments as a support channel will police each other if they think you’re stepping over the line. The hard part is explaining that I (as the author) didn’t flag the comment and have no idea what the comment was.

Interesting. I guess then we’re all reliant on Envato to make the right call, to protect customers who are providing genuine feedback, and to protect authors against claims of censorship.

323 posts
familychoice says

not to mention the fact that you basically re-engaged the same discussion by posting the same comments that you have had removed and the Author responded to it…

My last comment has been flagged again. Whether or not this is the author or someone stirring things up I’ve no idea. Pretty unprofessional behaviour whoever it was.

323 posts
familychoice says

Other buyers also frustrated by your pedantic insistence told you the feature you seek has no place within the product and encourage the author to keep adding features that are useful to the general use case and not something specific to you.

Check the comments section now, since removing the registration feature at least four other customers (who haven’t yet been censored) are now complaining about the lack of functionality that apparently only I am supposed to require.

by
by
by
by
by
by