• United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+1 more
smudgethis says

Does leaving a comment make your Envato profile name appear more frequently in searches/google etc?

The reason for me asking this is that I see so many people (usually the same people) commenting on literally everything that gets uploaded with a generic message to the tune of:

- great work, really cool idea! - nice one! :) - good job.

and so on and so on. I can only imagine it’s to get your name seen more as it really can’t be helpful to those receiving the feedback (if you can call it feedback).

Now I also leave comments where appropriate, if I see something that kicks ass then yes I will leave a comment that might occasionally be similar to the above examples but I don’t understand this desire to comment on everything.

I understand that this is a community, and a nice one at that, and everyone is very supportive, which is awesome but… is it actually supportive to leave a generic message on every piece of work as opposed to actual constructive criticism?

Now I don’t intend to sound anti-supportive, I like receiving comments on my work as much as the next person but I would rather receive advice, tips, guidance etc. on how to improve my work.

I for one would be in favour of a feedback tab on each template that fellow Hivers could use to send such constructive guidance without it being viewed by the clients/buyers (I wouldn’t want anything negative written in the comments feed to put off potential customers). I did try to suggest something like this in the forum a while back but one user got the wrong idea and it just turned into a back and forth rant about nothing that killed the debate pretty swiftly.

Thoughts?

241 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Lithuania
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
rendertom says

yeap, me also don’t get it. I sometimes see a project and would like to give some thoughts about it, point some thing that might improve the effect etc but I just don’t do it, because all comments are like you said “very nice”, “good jobs” whatever, ... So my comment about some improvements would be totally out of place there.

I don’t know about google search, but I guess if you post comments on every item in VH then you get some exposure, at least to those who read those comments. They see your avatar and go and check what you’ve done. At leasts that’s my thought about it.

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

I think a lot of users do a lot of stuff to try and get noticed, while failing to realise that it’s basically wasted effort. I suppose with the commenting, the thinking goes that with more links to your user page, the higher up the Google rankings you’ll go. Brilliant! If you spend 6 hours every day leaving feckless comments on other people’s items you might even reach as high as results page 237. Sit back and watch the sales come flooding in. Not.

Following and unfollowing is also an irritating way that users believe they do themselves some favours. Wrong again. It’s probably even counter productive.

And of course, spurious forum posts, which do have one very big effect. They waste moderator’s time.

I’m not sure if there’s a way round all this. That’s unfortunately just the way a lot of people are. I guess when you first come to Videohive, the pages are arranged to make the whole thing look like an easy buck, and when you realise it’s not, you think there must be some way to bring the sales flooding in for your three mediocre items. Success on Videohive is a long game and one that follows many of the rules of a classic business. You build it up over time, largely based on the quality of your product.

So here’s a message for anyone who employs any of these “tricks”: Knuckle down for the long haul and make some work! :-)

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

yeap, me also don’t get it. I sometimes see a project and would like to give some thoughts about it, point some thing that might improve the effect etc but I just don’t do it, because all comments are like you said “very nice”, “good jobs” whatever, ... So my comment about some improvements would be totally out of place there. I don’t know about google search, but I guess if you post comments on every item in VH then you get some exposure, at least to those who read those comments. They see your avatar and go and check what you’ve done. At leasts that’s my thought about it.

It’s definitely not the done thing to leave critical comments on items. This is at the end of the day a marketplace, and that kind of activity could open the door to some unscrupulous users leaving remarks intended to cast doubt on the quality of competing items.

320 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Belarus
DOGmotion says

Love this thread! Good text and font!

:D

...just kidding…

222 posts Per aspera ad Astra
  • Football Contest Participant/Runner-up
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
+3 more
Wayman says

I don’t know about google search, but I guess if you post comments on every item in VH then you get some exposure, at least to those who read those comments. They see your avatar and go and check what you’ve done. At leasts that’s my thought about it.

+1 But if you do not have a good portfolio then your comments in each new item on VH will be useless.

It’s definitely not the done thing to leave critical comments on items. This is at the end of the day a marketplace, and that kind of activity could open the door to some unscrupulous users leaving remarks intended to cast doubt on the quality of competing items.

+1

I would like to hear useful feedback from competent authors. But it will turn out that the feedback will write, even those who can not provide useful recommendations, and it is only will mislead potential buyers.

2145 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Germany
+3 more
Creattive says

I guess everyone noticed this behaviour. It’s the same like audiojungle authors following every videohive author because they think they might get an advantage of this.

Makes the whole system of following pointless. I have about 60 followers and maybe 5-10 of them are actual buyer.

Also what I’ve noticed is that many authors post in threads without even reading it. It’s always like:

post 1: initial question

post 2: answer from author 1

post 3-10: same answer from different authors who want to get exposure or community badge or whatever…

405 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
smudgethis says

Hmm, it’s funny. Exactly what happened last time I posted a thread similar to this is happening again in that people aren’t reading the initial post completely.

@Felt+Wayman, I did mention that leaving critical feedback on the comments thread is not a good idea hence the suggestion of a feedback tab or suggestion drop box (or whatever/however it could be implemented) allowing users to submit feedback and ideas without it appearing in the comment thread.

I for one would love to get feedback from some of the authors here and even more so from some of the buyers, and at present there is no place for this. To me it seems like an obvious application (in a world where social media is kind of a big thing) that this site doesn’t really offer the social collaboration tools that could be (in my mind anyway) really successful.

5069 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Superstar
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
+6 more

Hmm, it’s funny. Exactly what happened last time I posted a thread similar to this is happening again in that people aren’t reading the initial post completely.

No… I read it completely and took it in. My point about critical comments is reenforcing your point and specifically in answer to a post by Rendertom, which I quoted.

I think that what you suggest isn’t a bad idea, but I think it’ll never get implemented. It’s somehow a bit fussy and complicated. (fussy’s a bit harsh – but you know what I mean… the whole thing starts to lose its simplicity and the place to comment gets divided) And frankly there are far more pressing issues that need to be sorted on the marketplaces (IMHO of course).

I think that the right place for feedback is in the Item Discussion area of the forums. Admittedly, it’s a rather desolate forum cul-de-sac at the moment, but that might well change if more authors went there for feedback and more users gave serious feedback… not only about the quality of the workmanship (experienced mographers can largely judge that for themselves), but also about the appropriateness as stock…. the desirability / marketability factor…. that x-factor that makes things sell, even if they’re not brilliantly executed.

My feeling is that people are a bit cagey about discussing this stuff though… we’re all competitors y’know. :-)

405 posts Motion Graphics and Scrambled Eggs
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
smudgethis says

@Felt