• Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

I got rejected, not once, but more times.. for using logos of known companies. Now I’m seeing lots of themes that are using dribbble, apple, envato, forbes and more other companies logos and that are approved without any problem.

If you apply one rule, apply it for all the authors, not just for some of them. Write clearly if we’re allowed to use such logos or not. If the answer is no, we shouldn’t see any theme with such logos approved.

475 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
FlatKing says

Agreed, I’ve noticed a ton of themes and templates with very high profile companies logos – Requested a staff reply!

579 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I think it isn’t even allowed legally – despites what envato says.

Only in terms of blogging or journalism or something – but in fact it’s no envato rule – it’s the law.

280 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
cosmincotor says

As far as I know, this is not allowed. So I’m also curious why some themes/templates are approved with logos in the preview, while most get rejected :)

323 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
-bianca- says
Only in terms of blogging or journalism or something – but in fact it’s no envato rule – it’s the law.
a really good reason to not approve such items.
1582 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

It’s just for demo purposes, we’re not like claiming any content or work from Apple / Envato / dribbble / etc. :) I strongly doubt Apple will ever come and submit a DMCA for using their logos as a sample. If they do, we can easily replace them, but we need a global rule, to know if it’s allowed or not.

Sample images matter a lot.

4594 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

From the Knowledgebase article – http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Knowledgebase/Article/View/122

If you’re unsure whether the asset’s license allows you to use the asset in your preview or main download, ask either the license holder or a lawyer. Unfortunately, Envato support cannot help you interpret anyone else’s licenses. Again, it’s the responsibility of the author to verify the licenses of assets they use. When using any source for assets, whether free or paid, read and understand the license terms and confirm that your intended use complies with the license.

Some companies may have different usage licenses than others so it’s up to the author to find out. But when it comes to any trademarked logo, it’s always better to just not use it rather than have your file rejected. Thanks!

1582 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

KingDog, we know that, however, one user uses the dribbble logo and gets approved. Another user uses the same logo and gets rejected.

This is not fair, if Envato can’t check the licenses they should either approve them all … or write a rule or clearing this issue out.

4594 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

Try not to worry about what other authors are doing. If those items are using trademarked logos then they will eventually be soft-disabled until the logos are removed. I think we would all prefer if our items were not soft-disabled, so it’s better to follow the rules in the first place :)

317 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

KingDog, we know that, however, one user uses the dribbble logo and gets approved. Another user uses the same logo and gets rejected.

Aren’t we all using the Dribbble, logo? Facebook, Twitter, etc in our themes and templates? Ever decent items has social area that incorporates those logos. It all depends on the type of usage I guess.

A shop theme that displays an Apple product with the logo only for demo purposes might not be a huge issue, yet for an agency theme that lists the Apple logo under “clients” could be an issue because most times it leaves the impression that those brands somehow certify the theme/agency.

by
by
by
by
by
by