322 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
JoshuaSprague Envato team says

As you likely know, we have been lagging a touch behind with our “Compatible Browsers” attributes lately… This is mainly due to new versions of Firefox and Chrome being released more often. Regardless, we aim to get this fixed once and for all.

We have been batting around some ideas as well as ideas from the community as to the best way to handle this and wanted to give you, the boots on the ground a chance to offer your ideas and thoughts as well.

One thought is to display just the “browsers tested in” without version or maybe a min version (IE & maybe Safari would still carry a version) this will represent the fact that it was tested in the version of those browsers current at the publishing time.

Perhaps this same logic could follow on CodeCanyon for versions of jQuery, MooTools etc…

Please chime in if you have anything to offer on this subject :)

3221 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

may want to add mobile browsers too

322 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
+12 more
JoshuaSprague Envato team says

Thanks for your input! Yes I should have mentioned that as well. This could likely apply to anything with frequent version updates i suppose.

3430 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I know this makes the setup more complicated than the current multi-select box, but it might ease maintenance. What if, for each browser/library/language you allowed the author to fill in two fields (probably text inputs that can take integers and decimals):

1. Minimum required version

2. Maximum tested version

Then you could display compatibility according to this logic:

Case 1: Neither min or max provided

Just display the name, no version. This is good for browsers like Chrome, which auto-update (the real issue here).

Display example: Chrome or Chrome (Latest)

Case 2: Min only provided

Display the minimum version required with a ”+”, indicating forward compatibility. This is good for languages like PHP , where compatibility with a minimum version generally ensures compatibility with later versions.

Display example: PHP 5 .2+

Case 3: Both min and max provided

This is used when a minimum browser/language/library is required, but forward compatibility is uncertain at the time. I’d probably use that for IE, given its history. In this case, a range is displayed. (Also good for jQuery, since 2.0 will drop some old IE support, I believe).

Display example: IE8 -9 or Requires IE8 +, tested up to IE9

I’d probably exclude the max-only case as an invalid entry, it doesn’t make a lot of sense.

This way, authors can update versions as soon as necessary (no waiting for Envato), and customers get the best/freshest information possible.

I know that flexibility can also result in lack of standardization, but I would hope with something like version numbers it’d be pretty straightforward.

Just a thought, what do you guys think? :)

Chris

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Personally my thoughts on this are that because we’re required to support the latest major browsers anyway, listing them individually is somewhat redundant. So given this fact, we can wonder, what information is most important to buyers? The answer is mobile and IE. So here’s my suggestion:

Compatible with:

- All major desktop browsers
- iPad/iPhone
- Android
- IE8 (although I hope we drop support for this soon :D )

No versions other than legacy IE. Just the meat and potatoes.

4323 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Thanks for your input! Yes I should have mentioned that as well. This could likely apply to anything with frequent version updates i suppose.

Having the ‘responsive’ attribute and another ‘compatible with mobile (safari, opera mobile, etc)’ could be redundant. Mobile is different.

Honestly the ‘compatible with’ attribute has only one purpose, that is Internet Explorer. All websites are compatible with all modern browsers (Opera, Firefox, Safari, Chrome + all the mobile versions) IE9 could be — as always — the exception.

I’ve reviewed thousands of websites and – as long as I can remember – I haven’t found any issues in the aforementioned browsers; except Internet Explorer 8/9.

100 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

One thought is to display just the “browsers tested in” without version (IE & maybe Safari would still carry a version) this will represent the fact that it was tested in the version of those browsers current at the publishing time.

If version numbers are mostly left out then would that encourage authors to just test with the latest? We ought to be testing with every browser, version, OS and device size/orientation that people realistically use. Why not have checkboxes for the browsers and space by each for minimum version tested with. That way the author can reassure the buyer about compatibility.

99% of the time if it works with an older version it will work with the latest version, even if that version is 5 years newer, so I think it’s fairly safe to say something like “IE 8+” rather than “IE 8 – 9” for the sake of not having to update the version manually. There is that 1% case in which something will break on a newer version but if the author is doing their job they’ll have it fixed in no time anyway.

5899 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Minimum Compatible Browsers:
IE8 , FireFox 3.5, Safari 4, Opera 10, Chrome 3

Minimum Compatible Software:
jQuery 1.7.1

Optimized for (Front end):
Desktop, Tablet, Mobile

The above data points only the minimum compatibility but makes sure to emphasize that. For the latest version compatibility, authors can just update them on description; easy and less harmful. The current trend is emphasizing the latest version/device support on item preview image and on top of description.

In the upload page, getting input from author for the browser and versions in the above mentioned way is tricky but I guess it should be possible with combination of more than one dropdown or something. Especially the version number can be allowed to enter using text field while the browser names should be selected from a list. This way dev team no need to iterate that section unless a new browser introduced etc. No worries for version number updates.

5325 posts The Dude Abides
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

If version numbers are mostly left out then would that encourage authors to just test with the latest and release the theme and template. We ought to be testing with every browser, version, OS and device size/orientation that people realistically use. Why not have checkboxes for the browsers and space by each for minimum version tested with.

I don’t know about you but I’m not running a factory over here :P Currently I test in about 17 browsers/environments, and that mostly just covers the latest versions!

We have to consider consumer demand on this issue. 99.9% of questions are about IE and mobile.

100 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
StevenGliebe says

We have to consider consumer demand on this issue. 99.9% of questions are about IE and mobile.

You have a point. Now if only Microsoft would stop making their browser. Mobile browsing is still pretty new but you’d think MS would have had this down by now, five years ago even.

by
by
by
by
by
by