422 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
vahid Envato team says

Just in case some of you missed it – there is a new competition mentioned on the ThemeForest blog.

May the best person (or seller) win :)

245 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
enhancedmedia says

looks good, is there going to be any sort of action taken if authors come along, see this competition, fancy making a nice 600, then just start uploading tons of rubbish just to make it up the leaderboard?

It’s a nice idea, but i can see some people wanting to just upload stuff for the sake of making up the numbers and then ThemeForest might just be full of really bad templates which make it much harder to find the good ones and brings down the reputation of this place before its even really begun.

250 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
simnor says

Yeah I have to agree, I’m sort of put off by that, I think the competition should be for the highest rated themes etc. rather than the numbers but I suppose its just a way to get as many templates on themeforest as possible regardless of quality.

308 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+3 more
BrianCoyDesign says

Hopefully we don’t end up with a ton of clone sites from a single author. Changing color or making slight modifications shouldn’t be enough to call it a NEW template.

1431 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

don’t worry, reviewers will do the work :)

4905 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+9 more
MarkBrodhuber Envato team says

Well, we had a competition similar to this on FD a while back, it really helped build the database of files and although many were scared of lower quality files I feel that many of the best files on FD now were uploaded during that period of time.

A few things to realize…

There is still a reviewing process, that is strict and files that are “rubbish” will not be accepted, so there is still some level of quality that needs to be maintained to allow files to be accepted.

Authors can upload variations as separate files but the 3 variation rule is in place, and only 3 variations of a given theme will be accepted. Also by doing something like this with all templates it can be a double edged sword. I personally look for options when I buy a file…if you are taking the options away and forcing someone to be limited by making 1 purchase or have to make several purchase to gain access to the available options, you will be limited your sales. So by doing this you may be giving yourself a better shot at the prize for the comp but you are hurting yourself in the long run. Because your files will still be here long after the comp. 1 great template can provide the $600 easily over time, so thats just something to think about.

245 posts
+4 more
enhancedmedia says

fair points :)

151 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Keenpixel says

Haven’t been able to read about this contest fully because I can’t get to the blog!, but it sounds like a good idea to help build up the ThemeForest offerings.

I agree we needn’t be worried about a bunch of non-quality themes making it through…as was already pointed out, there is still a review committee in place.

1799 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BroOf says

Hey I had the same problem befor a few weeks. But now everything works.

by
by
by
by
by
by