• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bangladesh
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
IngeniousArtist says

In my opinion i don’t think anyone would try to flag a good comment of their item from buyers :)
so if anyone (wants) to recommend, they can just comment and there is a “purchased” icon at the top so people will know they bought it :)

2046 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Germany
+2 more
Creattive says

It’s not a comprehensive test though if feedback is hidden from customers, because we will react differently knowing it’s not going to be made public and only shown to authors. For example I won’t bother, and I’m guessing a lot of other customers will do the same.

Although I 100% agree that making these reviews public is the way to go, I cannot really understand how you can now tell us you won’t rate at all. What’s wrong with giving the author a reason why you rated his item low. You are always open for giving critique, but only when it’s public? We authors are interested in why people rate us down and would like to know if it is something we can improve.

When we make these reviews public, we need a way to answer these reviews, cause right now we can’t. And we cannot report or flag them, although you say it in this thread, I’m wondering where you read this. All we can do by now is read the explanation you gave us for rating us down and live with it.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

Although I 100% agree that making these reviews public is the way to go, I cannot really understand how you can now tell us you won’t rate at all.

Because I think the new system will artificially raise the ratings due to low rankings dropping, making it meaningless.

What’s wrong with giving the author a reason why you rated his item low. You are always open for giving critique, but only when it’s public? We authors are interested in why people rate us down and would like to know if it is something we can improve.

Because not all authors are going to act positively when they get bad feedback. Some of the authors on here aren’t very nice, and I can see some customers shying away from making a fuss.

When we make these reviews public, we need a way to answer these reviews, cause right now we can’t. And we cannot report or flag them, although you say it in this thread, I’m wondering where you read this.

It’s in the thread announcing the new system.

Just to clarify I’m not against adding feedback to ratings, but I think they should be visible to everyone so customers can be reassured their views are seen by everyone, not just the author they have an issue with.

111 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ikonome says

Remember that this is just the latest in a list of possible improvements and changes to the ratings system. What you see now is in no way being written in stone as the be all and end all of ratings. We’re introducing changes and then monitoring the results for further improvements. Thanks!

I am good with new ratings system, tried it earlier and it works well. Good job.

8192 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

haven’t read all the replies but who would give a fake/ungenuine 5 star rating?

but why would a rival author leave you a 5 star rating? There are already measures in place to prevent you opening multiple accounts and buying your own items…

5763 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

What’s wrong with giving the author a reason why you rated his item low. You are always open for giving critique, but only when it’s public? We authors are interested in why people rate us down and would like to know if it is something we can improve.
Because not all authors are going to act positively when they get bad feedback. Some of the authors on here aren’t very nice, and I can see some customers shying away from making a fuss.

Buyers already have comment section to for public review benefits. So far what we authors lacked is – we are helpless if someone just leaves low rating and doesn’t have time to comment about the reason. The new rating review will aid them quickly share the opinion – which is the 1st step on improving the rating system to help improving item.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
familychoice says

I am good with new ratings system, tried it earlier and it works well.

I’ve yet to see a single author that isn’t happy with the changes, this thread was started to find out what customers think about it, since we haven’t been asked.

but why would a rival author leave you a 5 star rating? There are already measures in place to prevent you opening multiple accounts and buying your own items…

I could set up a new account in a matter of minutes, so I’m sure it’s just as easy for an author to do the same or get a friend/relative/colleague to do it on their behalf.

And they don’t have to be giving their own items a high rating, I’ve noticed some authors work together and support each other so it’s not beyond the realms of fantasy to suggest they might be bigging up their mates. If 5 star ratings are also required to be backed up by feedback, and this is made public, customers will be able to spot suspect high ratings, just as they could with low ratings.

So far what we authors lacked is – we are helpless if someone just leaves low rating and doesn’t have time to comment about the reason. The new rating review will aid them quickly share the opinion – which is the 1st step on improving the rating system to help improving item.

I get that, and it’s been repeated several hundred times by other authors.

But I don’t see the issue with making feedback visible to everyone, and I don’t understand why it’s compulsory to provide comments on lower ratings only.

The lack of consistency in the new system is heavily weighted towards authors needs, there’s little of real value for customers.

1602 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

it would be illogical to implement required comment for 4 or 5 starts – because the comment wouldn’t add anything important to the author to see nor to the buyer to write – GREAT ITEM! THANKS” or “This is so nice!” or “wow amazing so easy to use!”... but the 1 or 2 starts required rating is very needed because buyer would tell what the problem is, thus the item would be improved.

1602 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
cyzer says

FamilyChoise why are you so angry ? Did you want to give 1 star rating with no reason and then you saw you are required to leave feedback and then got even more angry ? :D

615 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Typps says

@familychoice, If you want to give 5 stars and comment, use the comments section. Testimonials are always welcome :D

But I think the problem is another. From what I gather, you are worried that requiring buyers to provide reasoning behind their low ratings will influence them into rating an item 5 star always ( the only rating that does not need a review). I agree that in a small way, this skews the results, but most likely isn’t that big of a deal.

The 5 star rating is not the problem. The misleading low ratings are and absolutely useless if not accompanied by a reason. By requiring a reason, it becomes clear that rating below a 5 star is a big deal and surely the buyer that wants to expend the effort to provide one will do so for good reason.

by
by
by
by
by
by