6023 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

So far what we authors lacked is – we are helpless if someone just leaves low rating and doesn’t have time to comment about the reason. The new rating review will aid them quickly share the opinion – which is the 1st step on improving the rating system to help improving item.
I get that, and it’s been repeated several hundred times by other authors.

LOL :D so you need few more reasons than this single solid reason?

Making it public certainly has impact on buyers psychology. It will again work “only” for those who want to blackmail the author – since it is public (no difference from comment section too). Currently we have ZERO formal channels to get feedback from buyers and pass it to authors. Now this is the 1st attempt on making a formal feedback system between buyer and author. It certainly has its won benefit right now – regardless of future improvements.

1620 posts I create things I wish existed
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
cyzer says

@familychoice, If you want to give 5 stars and comment, use the comments section. Testimonials are always welcome :D

But I think the problem is another. From what I gather, you are worried that requiring buyers to provide reasoning behind their low ratings will influence them into rating an item 5 star always ( the only rating that does not need a review). I agree that in a small way, this skews the results, but most likely isn’t that big of a deal.

The 5 star rating is not the problem. The misleading low ratings are and absolutely useless if not accompanied by a reason. By requiring a reason, it becomes clear that rating below a 5 star is a big deal and surely the buyer that wants to expend the effort to provide one will do so for good reason.

Awesome reply. Great. 100% percent agreed.

585 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

Surely there is logic behind only showing authors the comments…

Buyers get a “degree of” warning already by seeing the old rating stars, in the vast majority of cases on poor files the issues are mentioned in item comments, and if the file does not work they can get a refund.

Now in the new approach lets assume an inexperienced buyer purchases a file and struggles for whatever reason with it (I appreciate not all buyers are inexperienced). They leave unfair negative comments about the file (we know this happens based on existing item comments), again this is negative for the author.

If the buyer is experienced then they are still able to rate it low and to leave comments in the item feed.

So it would appear that buyers are not really being disadvanataged by now seeing the rating explanations.

By keeping it author access sonly they can choose to (or perhaps in some cases not to) respond to the problems as they deem fit.

Aside form this there may even also (I could be wrong) a privacy issue involved.

The way envato have it makes sense to me completely.

Out of interest to anyone who does not agree with the change – if you were an author and someone unfairly criticized your file would you want it to be visible to all?

@familychoice and this is not an attack in any way whatsoever but you are obviously passionate about web design. We see you have now got your author badge When are you releasing your first file?

3857 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
+1 more
charlie4282 says

For what it is worth – as a highly experienced buyer I could not care less if people can see my comments on ratings. Maybe it comes with experience that I check files before purchase unless form authors I know personally, but I feel that given the effort that goes into an author creating a file the least I can do as a buyer getting such a good deal, and out of respect is rate it.

I think buyers have every opportunity on their side already to safeguard their situation. Of course inexperience is no reason to punish someone but it would be the same if someone was buying anything in life which they did not understand – it comes with an element of potential risk through confusion.

A marketplace like this is ALL about two way traffic, mutual respect, and finding the balance between buyer needs/expectations and the (currently in many cases undervalued) respect that authors deserve. That includes the opportunity to defend themselves form unfair comments, ratings or other negativity.

Personally I think envato have it spot on, however while I am 100% behind just authors seeing this, there is a small part of me that understands the logic at behind making it necessary to feedback even on 4 or 5* ratings just out of consistency. I appreciate it could flood with “great work” , “awesome file” etc but its only the author seeing it so why should it matter?

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
familychoice says

I’ll ignore the offensive/trolling comments and any I’ve already covered, thanks for the replies though.

Surely there is logic behind only showing authors the comments… Buyers get a “degree of” warning already by seeing the old rating stars, in the vast majority of cases on poor files the issues are mentioned in item comments, and if the file does not work they can get a refund.

I’m not against providing comments, but I’m uncomfortable with the combination of being forced into leaving a response only for lower ratings, and that these details are only available for authors. That combination feels (to me anyway) like it’s all geared to wards what authors want without any benefit, or consultation with, customers. After all we haven’t been asked what we think, and despite previously private comments now being available to authors there has been no notification in this privacy policy change.

@familychoice and this is not an attack in any way whatsoever but you are obviously passionate about web design. We see you have now got your author badge When are you releasing your first file?

No that’s fine you’ve been very polite thank you. We’re looking into developing some themes at some point this year, though we’ve got a ton of client work to get through first.

As for 1 star ratings – I couldn’t give a toss. Unless they’re genuine issues, which will be reflected in the comments section and our support site as well, I’ll ignore them. Just like I ignore rude and unreasonable requests for normal web work. Overall the ratings (I hope) I’d get for my theme would be good and customers would ignore the few bad ones.

I’m going to bow out of this thread now but I think I’ve probably covered everything anyway. It’d be good to hear from some customers too and not just author/customers.

480 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Located in United Kingdom
+3 more
FlatKing says

You flagged Australlias comment for what reason?

• Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

You want to be serious ? You the man behind the familychoice nickname, you get all those professional products for few cups of coffee, and you are very unsatisfied that you have to comment when you give low rating ? Is that what you are talking about ? everyone can hear you and everyone listens what you say.. but not when you start shouting and opening thread by thread which gets locked by the staff http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/deleting-useful-comments-response/115697

And why is that so ? because you are just being principled unhappy client with devotion to argue.

And why you post it here on the forums if you see it as a problem ? Just contact the support and open the ticket. http://support.envato.com/index.php?/Tickets/Submit

stop shouting and being so angry about anything and everything what people say, because you are wrong and many people here says that you are wrong. And by the way no one is being offensive or trolling you.

7572 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

and you are very unsatisfied that you have to comment when you give low rating ? Is that what you are talking about ?

wait a minute. I’ve read the first post of this thread and it appears to me he is asking why there is no mandatory review for all ratings and have them freely visible

• Won a competition
+8 more
cyzer says

and you are very unsatisfied that you have to comment when you give low rating ? Is that what you are talking about ?
wait a minute. I’ve read the first post of this thread and it appears to me he is asking why there is no mandatory review for all ratings and have them freely visible

yes i understand that. And tell me what is the reason for him to be so angry and arguing about all this ?

632 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
UBLThemes says

I’m not against providing comments, but I’m uncomfortable with the combination of being forced into leaving a response only for lower ratings, and that these details are only available for authors. That combination feels (to me anyway) like it’s all geared to wards what authors want without any benefit, or consultation with, customers. After all we haven’t been asked what we think, and despite previously private comments now being available to authors there has been no notification in this privacy policy change.

This thread portrays that you maybe a serial 1 star rater and you do not necessarily want people to find out.

Why would you complain in leaving a response?

You do realise you are complaining that you have to complain?

Regardless of not having to rate for 4 and 5 stars, this is irrelevant…

If the theme cheeses you off that bad, then you need to follow up with your damaging ratings.

Please bare in mind that a 1 star can be the difference or $1000’s to a new theme, the author has spend weeks/months working 10-14 hours a day, sometimes 6-7 days a week to get it done and a 1 star rating when a new item could be the difference of getting on the popular list and potentially being the difference of selling 100 times or 1000 times.

So to be honest I think Envato are being lenient on 1,2 star ratings, no theme on here should ever get them ratings because they go through a review process to make sure the code is well coded and the design is pixel perfect.

70% of bad ratings come down to customisations, I will not even say support because some buyers do not understand that altering the theme is infact customisations and not support.

The other 20% of ratings are because of buyers lack of knowledge of what they have purchased… E.G, WordPress management, Magento Management, Coding Html or Css etc etc.

The final 10% are from people who have found a small bug and are inpatient and want it fixed within seconds and the support staff can only do it within a day or 2… Or they just cant be bothered to ask the author because of a bad experience in the past or lack of timeframe in their projects.

So if a buyer is going to give 1 or 2 stars because of these reasons, buyers should at least make a comment, if it was up to me it should be public also and an option to counter their claims.

To be honest the rogue 5 star ratings are mostly not rogue, I put money on its mostly when an author goes beyond the realms to help the buyer so the buyer gives a 5 star, or the design and theme is just simply amazing so the buyer thinks its a 5 star.

Most 4 star raters will be buyers who think that the theme is great but would need a little more for it to be perfect.

A 3 star rater is normally not amazed or is not unhappy.

While the 1 and 2 star raters are just out for revenge for the reasons I have already given.

At least with the comments we get a rough Idea why our themes/plugins/graphics etc etc are being rated poorly and try and improve these so it does not get this in the future.

by
by
by
by
by
by