• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+1 more
mad_dog says

Entirely agree with UBL. I think 1 and 2 star rates – the reason for a refund. In this case Envato should do a refund and the customer must sign a waiver of copyright agreement (I had a lot of cases when the customer purchased one license and used it for more than 1 project).

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

This thread portrays that you maybe a serial 1 star rater and you do not necessarily want people to find out.

Why would you come to such an extraordinary conclusion? I’ve made it very clear that I don’t have an issue with leaving a comment, and if I was worried about people ‘finding out’ why would I be asking that my comments were also made public?

For the record there isn’t a single 1-star rating in my account, but if there was I’d be happy to provide feedback on it.

Why would you complain in leaving a response?

I’m not complaining about leaving a response, I’m not actually complaining at all I’m just providing customer feedback on the new changes, and attempting to find out what other customers think about them since we weren’t asked or told about the new changes and their implications regarding personal privacy.

I think adding feedback to ratings is a good thing, but I’d like to see it applied across the board (or at least to include 5 star ratings), and for the feedback to be made available to everyone.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

You want to be serious ? You the man behind the familychoice nickname, you get all those professional products for few cups of coffee, and you are very unsatisfied that you have to comment when you give low rating ? Is that what you are talking about ?

No it isn’t.

440 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
ZozoUI says

totally agree with familychoice. Everything should be public about the rating.

4145 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

If anyone trolls it, we’ll handle it. You’re point is truly valid and I see no reason to see this thread trolled.

I for one am completely pro obliging everyone to rate, but the lower ratings are truly more important, the fact being, no one from the competition or buyers rate something great if it sucks, though, as a competitor, I can rate an item 1 star, when it’s actually great, and ruin it’s reputation. I see no reason buyers should be intimidated by this. A negative rating must be explained. This has been discussed plenty of times in previous threads.

3672 posts
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • United Kingdom
charlie4282 says

As someone who rates every file we buy I am happy to have my comments seen by whoever wants to but the one major thing missing with this change (as was highlighted in a different thread but is worthy and relevant here) is that authors must have the capability to reply to the comments. This is in both parties interests.

1550 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Russian Federation
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

My opinion comments & reviews can be integrated all together on the one tab since it’s similar functionality with possible additional filters. So If buyer wants, besides comment he can rate as well and such comment will get two flags “Purchased” and “Rated” x x x x x

This way it will be visible for all (which is good) as well as author can answer. Or author can even flag some inappropriate reviews/ratings.

Best Regards, Andrey

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Thanks for the replies :)

I for one am completely pro obliging everyone to rate, but the lower ratings are truly more important, the fact being, no one from the competition or buyers rate something great if it sucks, though, as a competitor, I can rate an item 1 star, when it’s actually great, and ruin it’s reputation. I see no reason buyers should be intimidated by this. A negative rating must be explained. This has been discussed plenty of times in previous threads.

I haven’t seen any polls or requests for customer feedback in any thread, the other one simply presents the new changes as a statement of fact which has been endorsed by the majority of authors, so we don’t know whether buyers will be intimidated or not.

Personally I won’t, but it’s a heavy handed approach. If I was Envato I would have asked for customer feedback first before making changes that require compulsory input from customers which also affect their privacy.

While I agree that the majority of bogus ratings (though I have no data to back this up, so could be wrong) are probably low, I would guess that there are also plenty of rogue 5 star ratings being awarded as well, so I would rather see compulsory feedback for extremes of ratings – so for example 1, 2 and 5. Customers can still add feedback for authors if they wish, and if the feedback is made public customers can make their own minds up about whether it’s valid or not. I’d also +1 authors being able to add replies so everyone can see both sides of the issue.

7175 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

the other one simply presents the new changes as a statement of fact which has been endorsed by the majority of authors, so we don’t know whether buyers will be intimidated or not.

not entirely true. what most of the author asked is for the ratings to be public and for the possibility to provide an answer to the review to clarify if required.

for some reason there’s this false representation of the marketplace where envato conspire with authors to scam the buyers. this is not true off course and is childish to think this. what authors want, what I want, is for a better understanding of what buyers want and need. More feedback we get from this better it is.

this debate should had been posted in the thread where they announce the ratings. this doesn’t mean you can’t create threads on the forum but it would had been best to keep this on the topic. I suspect mods didn’t blocked this thread and asked you to post in the official thread to not start a fight again over warm water.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

this debate should had been posted in the thread where they announce the ratings.

I added my feedback on the other thread but it was ignored and completely lost in a pile of +1’s for the new system.

this doesn’t mean you can’t create threads on the forum but it would had been best to keep this on the topic. I suspect mods didn’t blocked this thread and asked you to post in the official thread to not start a fight again over warm water.

The other thread is an announcement of the changes and is too broad in subject matter to effectively deal with specifics. Also it’s completely dominated by author feedback and general off-topic rubbish, so I started this one to deal with very specific issues in the hope that some customers would be brave enough to add their comments and feedback.

I’m not starting a fight, I’m simply asking for a bit of feedback over some details with the new system. I don’t understand why you’re so against me doing this if you’re genuinely interested in hearing customer feedback. Instead of criticising me for showing a bit of interest in this website and caring about the markeplace, why don’t you add your thoughts to the actual topic?

by
by
by
by
by
by