• United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

but why would a rival author leave you a 5 star rating? There are already measures in place to prevent you opening multiple accounts and buying your own items…

I could set up a new account in a matter of minutes, so I’m sure it’s just as easy for an author to do the same or get a friend/relative/colleague to do it on their behalf.

And they don’t have to be giving their own items a high rating, I’ve noticed some authors work together and support each other so it’s not beyond the realms of fantasy to suggest they might be bigging up their mates. If 5 star ratings are also required to be backed up by feedback, and this is made public, customers will be able to spot suspect high ratings, just as they could with low ratings.

But feedback will always be Anon… you as a buyer will never see who wrote the feedback, it’s against Envato’s policy. You can purchase whatever you like as discreetly as possible here. This makes your point kind of a moot point because it’ll literally just be a sentance which anyone could write…

7178 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I don’t understand why you’re so against me doing this if you’re genuinely interested in hearing customer feedback.

where did you get the impression I’m against you or I’m criticizing you for your interest in the topic?

Instead of criticising me for showing a bit of interest in this website and caring about the markeplace, why don’t you add your thoughts to the actual topic?

already did. off course that thread can’t rotate around me or you. I’ve said my feedback there. If staff or community show interest on what I’m saying then fine if not, again no problem. Also, if no one reply to me personally it doesn’t mean I’m ignored or user don’t like what I’m saying.

The fact that you get the impression that someone have something against you just because they post in this thread is interesting. When someone provide feedback/criticize something like you are doing (not a bad thing) should also be open to feedback over what they are doing/saying. They should act the same as how they request for their feedback subject to act. You want envato to listen and care then this is what you need to do also.

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

The fact that you get the impression that someone have something against you just because they post in this thread is interesting. When someone provide feedback/criticize something like you are doing (not a bad thing) should also be open to feedback over what they are doing/saying.

I haven’t got any issue with opposing opinions – after all that’s why I started this thread as I wanted to hear the pro’s and cons of this specific issue. What isn’t acceptable is when instead of commenting on the subject matter people make personal comments about me. I have never made a personal comment about anyone on this forum, yet I have to deal with abuse and personal observations by people that seem to think I have no right to an opinion.

You’re doing it right now (though not in an abusing way), instead of discussing the issues I’ve raised you’re questioning my right to start this thread and making assumptions about my feelings.

I am not the subject matter of this thread, if you want to comment then please stay on topic.

But feedback will always be Anon… you as a buyer will never see who wrote the feedback, it’s against Envato’s policy. You can purchase whatever you like as discreetly as possible here. This makes your point kind of a moot point because it’ll literally just be a sentance which anyone could write…

I thought feedback was going to be passed back to authors attributed to the customer that made it? If it’s anonymous then yes, my privacy issue point would be moot.

1181 posts How's the surf doing?
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+2 more
tommusrhodus says

I thought feedback was going to be passed back to authors attributed to the customer that made it? If it’s anonymous then yes, my privacy issue point would be moot.

All previous ratings were and are kept anonymous. All future ratings & reviews are not anonymous.

Interesting that you see this as a privacy issue though, could you elaborate on that a little? :)

Surely any ratings would be left as a very static opinion of the reviewer, and that whether leaving a 1 or 5 star, the reviewer would be sticking by this? In that case, I’m unsure as to why we would now want to be able to leave anon reviews/ratings?

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

All previous ratings were and are kept anonymous. All future ratings & reviews are not anonymous. Interesting that you see this as a privacy issue though, could you elaborate on that a little? :)

What worries me is that I’ve seen authors on another thread raise the possibility of sharing the information to use as a blacklist.

Surely any ratings would be left as a very static opinion of the reviewer, and that whether leaving a 1 or 5 star, the reviewer would be sticking by this? In that case, I’m unsure as to why we would now want to be able to leave anon reviews/ratings?

I don’t think all reviews are static. I amend mine to reflect my current experience with the product, and I’ve seen other customers state they do the same thing. And I’m not concerned that reviews/ratings should be anonymous, I just feel there should be some consistency across the marketplace ‘community’ with who gets to see this information :)

2500 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Beta Tester
+15 more
contrastblack Staff says

All previous ratings were and are kept anonymous. All future ratings & reviews are not anonymous. Interesting that you see this as a privacy issue though, could you elaborate on that a little? :)

What worries me is that I’ve seen authors on another thread raise the possibility of sharing the information to use as a blacklist.

Hey there,

Please keep in mind that our Community Guidelines would apply in this case. Blacklisting, and publicly sharing any sort of negative statements about ANY other community member is against our rules, and hence not permitted. By ANY I am of course referring to both Buyers and Authors.

As some other users mentioned in this thread, there is a false perception that authors are being privileged, while, as much as anyone else would like to impose, that is simply not true. Authors are equally susceptible to any administrative action depending on whether any rules have been broken.

Hope this helps clarify that specific point.
Thank you.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

Please keep in mind that our Community Guidelines would apply in this case. Blacklisting, and publicly sharing any sort of negative statements about ANY other community member is against our rules, and hence not permitted.

That’s good to hear.

As some other users mentioned in this thread, there is a false perception that authors are being privileged, while, as much as anyone else would like to impose, that is simply not true.

That maybe true in the past, but the new feedback system only allows authors to view comments. This would have been a useful resource for customers too.

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Typps says

As some other users mentioned in this thread, there is a false perception that authors are being privileged, while, as much as anyone else would like to impose, that is simply not true.
That maybe true in the past, but the new feedback system only allows authors to view comments. This would have been a useful resource for customers too.

The feedback mechanism allows authors to view comments that are pertinent to their items. This information is being provided as a means to help authors improve their items.

As a customer you’ve always had the public comments section which allows what your after and is still a valuable resource in addition to the ratings system. Nothing has changed in this area.

323 posts
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

The feedback mechanism allows authors to view comments that are pertinent to their items. This information is being provided as a means to help authors improve their items.

But why do the comments and responses have to be kept secret? I don’t see why customers should be denied access to rating feedback. This system works perfectly on other sites, such as Amazon and Apple.

As a customer you’ve always had the public comments section which allows what your after and is still a valuable resource in addition to the ratings system. Nothing has changed in this area.

The comment sections are a mess; they’re a bloated jumble of feedback, product queries, support requests, complaints, general chat etc. etc.

A proper ratings/feedback section visible to all marketplace members such as in the sites mentioned above would be much more useful to everyone – authors AND customers. Envato seem to be trying to re-invent the wheel and coming up with something vaguely hexagonal shaped.

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
Typps says

@familychoice, We are mainly concerned with low ratings. The unfortunate truth of these low ratings for the most part will be out of bad experience due to inexpertise of the buyer. What use is this to other buyers ? It will only bring about negative press for the product and damage the author.

Quite frankly, the reviews are there to allow us some insight into why the buyer is frustrated enough to rate the item low. The public comments section is again the best place for what your asking :P

by
by
by
by
by
by